• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CATI1836

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2019
    Sherman
    I am trying to decide on a rifle and cartridge that will not break the bank and will take any game in Texas/Oklahoma up to 600 yards. I'm also looking at this from a preparedness angle for what kind of ammo will be more likely to be available if it gets hard to find again. What are your thoughts? Will 3030 still be effective at that difference? I lean 308 for various reasons, but I'm also fond on 3006 and lever guns. TIA

TXAZ

:)
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    South of the Red, North of the Gulf
    I went through a similar exercise 5 years ago.
    .308 appears to have an advantage based on sources listed on Ammoseek.com, if that’s the only criteria your looking at.
    Cost per round also seems to be a little less on the .308.

In an urban / suburban setting you may also want to consider subsonic .300 BO, which at short ranges out to 100 yards is much less likely to wake the neighbors.

Let’s hope you never need any of these for your stated purpose.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    98% of hunters can’t reliably hit game animals at 600 yards and if they do will more than likely only cause a wound that leads to a slow and painful death with no recovery of the animal by the hunter.

Edit to add: If you have to ask which cartridge you should use, you fall very far in the that 98%. Please don’t attempt it.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Sure. 30-30 at 600 yards would have the trajectory of a rainbow. 308 and 30-06 are much faster and flatter shooting rounds. 308 and 30-06 are similar in ballistics with the 30-06 having a slight advantage. 600 yards is a stretch for shooting game with any caliber. My vote goes to the 308. It is probably the most prevalent of the 3 and I suspect the least expensive ammo. The 30-30 is a pretty short range round and the 30-06 has a bit more felt recoil than the 308.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    98% of hunters can’t reliably hit game animals at 600 yards and if they do will more than likely only cause a wound that leads to a slow and painful death with no recovery of the animal by the hunter.

Edit to add: If you have to ask which cartridge you should use, you fall very far in the that 98%. Please don’t attempt it.

<>

Most seriously overestimate ‘’range’’ distances.

<>

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas

I was about the type this word-for-word.

As a newer shooter, get the 308 then get good at shooting before you lob bullets and injure animals that you may not find.

I really can't think of a hunting scenario in Texas or Oklahoma that would justify a 600y shot.

Here is what I'd suggest you do before buying a thermal etc.

Get an less expensive AR10 like a PSA, buy a 1000rnd case of brass cased m80 type ammo. Get where you can shoot at 1-200 at paper with the first 500rnds, then go to a run-and-gun match (OEdefence, MysteryOps, WTF...) and get a chance to shoot in the field from trees, rocks, etc at 50-600+yd like you might if hunting.

When you see a target 600yd you're going to realize just how far away it is.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge

This. 110% this. A .308 typically lacks the ass to deliver ethical kill shots on game animals at much past 300 yards, and as much as I shoot with 30-30, realistically, it is a 200 yard gun with the right ammo.( I have reached out and dropped deer at 225)
    The 30.06 is the only one in the group you mentioned that would have the juice for 600 yards, but there will be a huge learning curve for you to be truly accurate at that range

DustyDuds

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2023
    Fort Worth
    Bolt action
    learn to reload for two reasons:
    1) become less dependent on other sources for ammo
    2) load sub-sonic if that interests you

Another topic/concept that might interest you is a scout rifle. Google “Jeff Cooper Scout rifle “. The resultant information may help you clarify in your mind what requirements are most important to you.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    This. 110% this. A .308 typically lacks the ass to deliver ethical kill shots on game animals at much past 300 yards, and as much as I shoot with 30-30, realistically, it is a 200 yard gun with the right ammo.( I have reached out and dropped deer at 225)
    The 30.06 is the only one in the group you mentioned that would have the juice for 600 yards, but there will be a huge learning curve for you to be truly accurate at that range

I agree with everything except “much past 300 yards” unless your are talking about larger game. For most animals the size of or smaller than a mule deer the proper bullet and shot placement will go the job. The issue is putting the bullet in the right spot, which very few can do in the field.

CATI1836

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2019
    Sherman
    Here's a little more context to the question:

I am familiar with the very, very basics of 308 and 3006 capabilities. I'm not a novice shooter, but I am a novice hunter. And 600 yards and change happens to be the distance from my front porch to the front gate, and I'd like to be able to adequately drop anything in between. Much of the land I have access to has line of sight 8-900 yards or better, with a mix of some brush keeping visibility sub 100 yards. But the short distance is not my primary concern here. And game can range from pigs to deer, but I also want to be able to deal with the rare, but occasional, mountain lions and black bears that are spotted from time to time. Predators that LGDs can't handle.

Support
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gunnar
    Top Bottom