• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    I want to see this done with a Marlin LTR and with the factory ten or seven round mags.

And I want a million dollars in the bank! (Tax-free, of course.)

I spent over $50 in range fees, ammo, targets, etc. for this little experiment, not counting anything for my time for the shooting, pictues, writing, etc. If you would like to see something in particular it would be prudent to offer up something in return. If you have a Marlin LTR then maybe you could offer it's use for testing along with a selection of whatever ammo you've got.

Just a thought.

:shades:

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    I want to see this done with a Marlin LTR and with the factory ten or seven round mags.

Bro, do you even shoot, bro?

If you would like to see something in particular it would be prudent to offer up something in return. If you have a Marlin LTR then maybe you could offer it's use for testing along with a selection of whatever ammo you've got.

Rock on.

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    AC I've got a new bolt gun that I'll be running about 5 types of ammo thru in the next month at ASC if you wanna hookup for part deux.

Cool.

If you want to do something similar to what I did except using your rifle we can do that too. I'll refrain from using the "expensive" stuff so it will be available.

Conversely, if you have any ammo that I haven't used yet I'd love to add it to my experiment.

Sunday mornings are my favorite time to go out there but I can probably do Saturdays as well, just let me know: Allen (at) Allen Corneau (dot) com.

Lucas Mccain

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2012
    Trophy Club Texas
    And I want a million dollars in the bank! (Tax-free, of course.)

I spent over $50 in range fees, ammo, targets, etc. for this little experiment, not counting anything for my time for the shooting, pictues, writing, etc. If you would like to see something in particular it would be prudent to offer up something in return. If you have a Marlin LTR then maybe you could offer it's use for testing along with a selection of whatever ammo you've got.

Just a thought.

:shades:

I should of been more specific. I was wasn't asking you to do it. I was actually of thinking of doing it myself with my own LTR. It was more of a thought that I put in the internetz lol. I have several brands of match and cheap stuff I could do this with I just need time to go to the range before it gets to hot. BTW love the website you put up.

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    I should of been more specific. I was wasn't asking you to do it. I was actually of thinking of doing it myself with my own LTR. It was more of a thought that I put in the internetz lol. I have several brands of match and cheap stuff I could do this with I just need time to go to the range before it gets to hot. BTW love the website you put up.

No harm, no foul.

I'm glad you enjoyed the write-up. Hopefully you can use something from the way I set up my experiment to help make your own experiment meaningful for you and your rifle.

I did the first four targets in about an hour and the second four targets in another hour. Hopefully you can find an hour or two to get to the range and try it out. Everyone deserves a couple of hours at the range now and then!

If you do get your testing done make a write-up and post your results. I'm sure everyone will be just as interested in your report as they seem to be with mine.

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Update:

I've managed to pick up six more types of ammo since my last testing; Winchester Western, Aguila Super Extra standard velocity and high velocity, Wolf Extra Match, Fiocchi Offical 320, and CCI Quiet-22.

The Western and Aguila HV are high velocity; the Aguila SV, Wolf, and Fioochi are standard velocity; and the Quiet-22 is low velocity (710 fps). I'll try to do a better job of pairing up the HV together and the SV together, although I think the Quiet-22 will be an odd-man-out no matter what.

In total I now have 11 types of high velocity and eight types of standard/low velocity available. I think my next testing will be to do the new stuff the same way I did the first round of tests. Then, maybe shrink it down to the top six contenders for a final head-to-head round. I'd be happy to hear any opinions on where I should go from here.

Rock on.

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    From what I have read, you might find the Quiet-22 to be fairly accurate. This has been attributed to jot having to pass down through the trans-sonic range.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    I'm thinking it's time for another round of ammo testing and it looks like this Sunday may be ok weather-wise. Anyone interested in a Sunday morning shoot?

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    I'm thinking it's time for another round of ammo testing and it looks like this Sunday may be ok weather-wise. Anyone interested in a Sunday morning shoot?

Possibly. Going to be a game time decision. Also depends on if I can make it out sooner. Picked up a .45 1911 Tuesday and want to try it out ASAP.

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Ok, here's the latest update:

I'm going to go out first thing Sunday morning for the next round of tests. I've got eight more brands/types of ammo to try out; three high velocity, four standard velocity, and one low velocity.

I haven't changed anything with my rifle so hopefully the results will relate to the first round fairly well. I am going to alter one thing with my procedure based on the recommendations of some of you here: I'll load 10 rounds in the BX-1 magazine and burn the first one off-target so the remaining rounds are action-loaded.

Here's what I've got that is new this time:

High Velocity
    Winchester Western, 36 grain, 1280fps
    American Eagle (Federal), 38 grain, 1280fps
    Aguila Super Extra HV, 40 grain, 1255fps

Standard Velocity
    Aguila Super Extra (SV), 40 grain, 1080fps
    CCI Standard Velocity, 40 grain, 1070fps
    Wolf Match Extra, 40 grain, 1050fps
    Fiocchi Official 320, 40 grain, 1050fps

Low Velocity
    CCI Quiet-22, 40 grain, 710fps

If anyone has anything else that isn't on this list (or wasn't used in Test #1) and would like to donate 10 rounds to the cause I would be happy to include them in this round of testing. Anyone that would like to try out anything I've got can meet me this Sunday morning out at ASC.

Stay tuned for the results early next week!

Last edited:

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    Sounds like a great plan. I am curious to see how the Aguila standard velocity does. My Savage bolt action really likes them.

Top Bottom