• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    I spent a beautiful Sunday morning at the range testing out 12 different brands and types of 22LR ammo and I thought you folks might like a report of my findings.

The backstory:

I bought my rifle in January and I’ve been mostly shooting bulk ammo so that I was not wasting money on high end ammo during the steep part of the learning curve. In my seemingly endless search for 22LR I’ve come across, and occasionally picked up, boxes of more-expensive ammo with the idea that at some point I would be good enough to try it out and see what it was all about.

Since my shooting skills have been getting better I felt the need to see just how much of my progress (or lack thereof) was due to the types of ammo I was regularly using. I decided that I would do my own trial of all the different ammo I had on hand so I could get a better idea what the difference between different ammo might be and to see if the expensive stuff was really worth it or not.

The Ammo:

These are the 12 different brands and types of ammo I had available for my test. Included is my purchase price per shot (including the 8.25% state sales tax) so you can have an idea what the price-to-performance ratio might be…

Blazer (CCI): $0.06
    CCI AR-Tactical: $0.09
    CCI Pistol Match: $0.22
    CCI Stinger: $0.16
    Eley Target: $0.19
    Federal Champion: $0.05
    Federal Gold Match: $0.30
    Remington Golden:$0.05
    Remington Subsonic: $0.10
    Winchester M-22: $0.06
    Winchester Super-X “Super Speed”: $0.09
    Winchester Varmint LF: $0.19

The Rifle:

My rifle is a standard Ruger 10/22 stainless with black synthetic stock, Nodak Spud peep sights (not used for the test), and a Primary Arms MD-FBGII micro red dot sighted in at 50 yards with Remington Golden. I’ve done a little bit of polishing to the inside of the receiver, the bolt, and some of the parts in the trigger group, but otherwise the rifle is stock. All the ammo was shot using the standard BX-1 box magazine that came with the rifle (except where noted).

The Range:

American Shooting Centers is a sprawling outdoor facility on the far west side of Houston. It was a beautiful day, 70-ish degrees, sunny, and almost no wind. I set up on a 50 yard bench and used the provided sandbags for both front and rear of the rifle.

The Procedure:

Each ammo was shot in three 3-shot groups in a row. Not a large sample size for sure, but enough to know if something was good, bad, a fluke, a bad shot, or just dumb luck. The targets have 1” orange grid lines and the black stick-on dots are 1” in diameter. I tried to group ammo like-for-like but missed on a few.

For measurements I used my trusty old six-inch plastic ruler and measured to the nearest one-eighth inch. If the measurement was in-between eighth-inch marks I leaned it to whichever was the closer measurement. If it was right on the line I gave the benefit of the doubt and went with the smaller measurement. The fractions of an inch were converted to decimals since my spreadsheet doesn’t like to work in fractions. (Ha ha.)

The Results:

Web-friendly pictures are provided here, however links to full-sized pictures and a PDF of the actual measurement results are listed at the bottom of this report.

So here we go…

Target #1:
    Remington Golden; average 2.29”
    Winchester M-22; average 1.83”
    CCI AR-Tactical; average 1.04”

Target1s.jpg

As expected the Golden and M-22 were fairly sloppy but the AR-Tactical showed better grouping and consistency. Seeing as everything on this target was shooting a bit right I adjusted the red dot two clicks to the left before moving on.

Target #2:
    Winchester Super-X; average 2.83”
    CCI Stingers; average 1.67”
    Blazer; average 0.88”

Target2s.jpg

Both the Super-X and the Stingers were about as bad as the bulk Goldens and M-22. Blazers were amazingly good for something so inexpensive. Yeah, that left group is three shots in two holes. (Giggity.)

Target #3:
    Winchester Varmint LF; average 1.67”
    Remington Subsonic; average 1.58”
    Federal Champion; average 1.38”

Target3s.jpg

One of the first shots of the Varmint LF went off the top of the paper even though the POA was dead-on the black dot, so I measured from the edge of the paper. The third group of the Subsonic looks great but the other two tell a different story. The Champion didn’t do so poorly, although I had one round that didn’t fire even after trying it six times. I considered it a dud and pulled one more out of the box for the final shot.

Target #4:
    Federal Gold Match; average 1.04”
    Eley Target; average 0.79”
    CCI Pistol Match; average 0.71”

Target4s.jpg

Finally, the expensive stuff! All three showed good propensity to keep groups at one inch or less. Missed a couple of shots on the third group of the Pistol Match you say? Nah, it’s actually one ragged hole! (Obviously a bit of a fluke but I’ll take it!)

Since I had run through all 12 tests that I wanted to get done and still had plenty of shootin’ in me I decided to do some extended testing for the three brands/types that did well but weren’t the expensive stuff: CCI AR-Tactical, Blazer, and the Federal Champion.

I ran a full set of targets for each along with one for my baseline Goldens. All these shots were with a BX-25 magazine.

Blazer9s.jpg

CCI-AR9s.jpg

As you can see the Blazers ($0.06) and the AR-Tactial ($0.09) both did very well at nearly two to three times less than the expensive stuff. I guess CCI comes by it’s reputation honestly.

I should mention about these next two targets: two guys showed up to shoot shotgun which is right next to the further-most 50 yard lane, the one I was on of course. They put up two targets and when they shot the right target from the left lane my targets got sprayed with shot. (I did bring it to their attention afterwards and they were very apologetic.)

FedChamp9s.jpg

Golden9s.jpg

The Champion was still inconsistent with some good groups and others all over the place. Out of the 27 shots needed for a full target I had three stovepipes, something I had experienced previously with the Champions but I didn’t want that to exclude them from my little accuracy test.

By this time the wind had started to pick up and you can see that all the shots on the Golden target are all mostly left of the POA.

(Continued on next post)
    Guns International

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    (Part 2)

Lastly, I moved over to the 100 yard lanes for one last target, sending 25 rounds of the Blazer down range, again with the BX-25. Since there is a six-inch drop at 100 yards I have to aim towards the top of the grid (which I can’t even see at 100 yards). If I post the target upside-down I basically aim half-way between the top of the orange ring and the top of the paper. Sounds goofy, I know, but it works for me.

The first five shots were a bit left so I made a one-click adjustment on the red dot and sent the rest of the lead flying. Most of the final 20 shots landed within a 3" group, which isn’t bad for a factory-stock rifle.

Blazer100s.jpg

All in all, a fine day to be out on the shooting range and learning a lot about how my rifle and different ammo get along. Hope this is helpful for anyone just starting out like me, or even for those that have been around the block a few thousand times.

For full-size pictures click the links below:

http://allencorneau.com/pictures/Target1.jpg
    http://allencorneau.com/pictures/Target2.jpg
    http://allencorneau.com/pictures/Target3.jpg
    http://allencorneau.com/pictures/Target4.jpg
    http://allencorneau.com/pictures/Blazer9.jpg
    http://allencorneau.com/pictures/CCI-AR9.jpg
    http://allencorneau.com/pictures/FedChamp9.jpg
    http://allencorneau.com/pictures/Golden9.jpg
    http://allencorneau.com/pictures/Blazer100.jpg

http://allencorneau.com/pictures/AmmoTestResults.pdf

Last edited:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Nice report. Thanks!
    Sounds like you had a good time too.

Question.
    The federal champion, was it a 525 bulk pack or 50 rd boxed?
    40gr round nose or 36gr hp?

Last edited:

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Nice report. Thanks!
    Sounds like you had a good time too.

Question.
    The federal champion, was it a 525 bulk pack or 50 rd boxed?
    40gr round nose or 36gr hp?

Vaquero,

It's the blue box, 40 grain round nose in the 50-count box. Since it had been giving my rifle fits in the past I almost didn't include it in the test. I'm kind of glad I did anyway, although I don't think I'll be seeking it out for regular duty.

My rifle seems to love the Blazers and since it shoots just as well as the expensive stuff I'll try to stock up on it when I can find it.

Thanks.

Last edited:

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Very nice ac. When you want to add to it I have several types of match ammo that I would like to throw into the data file.

Thanks for the offer Sugar Land. This report was a lot of work so I don't think I'll be doing another one real soon, but I could probably do an update with a few additions. I'm going to try to make the 26th meet-up so if you're there maybe we can try then.

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    I should mention: if anyone has any critiques for me on this report please let me know. I plan on pushing this out to a few other forums but would be happy to tweak it before I do.

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    Nice right up. I am going to try and make it the 26th and have some Aguila stuff I picked up at Academy for $4.99 per box of 50 that I will bring. Might like you to try it to see how it does. I have been pleased with it in my rifle.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Nice right up. I am going to try and make it the 26th and have some Aguila stuff I picked up at Academy for $4.99 per box of 50 that I will bring. Might like you to try it to see how it does. I have been pleased with it in my rifle.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

Excellent, thanks Kong!

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Awesome report.

You beat me to wanting to do a similar experiment.

The conditions I established for my test are:

1. Rifle make and model.

2. Ammunition (sorted by manufacturer, rim thickness, and weight).

3. Weather (Temperature, humidity, altitude, wind speed & direction, and barometric pressure).

4. Chronograph: Count every round shot -- Median & Mean Velocities; SD.

5. Shot to shot variation recorded on video.

6. Repeatability: All rounds fired from the same weapon & sight system from a fixed reference point (rest).

I can honestly say in preparing for this test, my shooting rest was suboptimal, and not having the funds to procure a "Ransom" rest, I must first find a stable rest from which to shoot rounds with a high confidence that the human factor does not skew results.

Thanks for the report. It is good to know that some of us seek accuracy over volume of fire!

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Thanks Shortround.

I know that my test wasn't fully scientific or anything, just a bit of real-world results from my particular rifle with as few variables as possible.

I will look forward to you getting your testing and report done and published!

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Your testing is still the best that I have seen on this site in years.

Just wanted to offer some ideas.

My tests will take some time to accomplish. By all means drive on and post more results of your experimentation. I would be happy with a real world instead of theoretical challenge.

Be well.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    I looked at your link (blank) and am even more in awe.

The only .22 LR I found for sale locally today was CCI Select. Not a CCI offering I have ever seen before. The box says it is for "competition." My preferred CCI round is the "standard velocity" which is advertised as target ammo.

I don't compete against anyone but myself, so "target" or "match" is usually good enough for my tastes, and those rounds don't cost $.15 per round.

Well done, Sir!

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Nice write up. It's hard to cover so much ground in a single range session. I would recommend magnification and smaller batch testing. For example, I'd group by either price point(plinking ammo) or target rounds(usually lead standard velocity ammo).

There are a lot of rimfire enthusiasts who will tell you it takes a clean barrel several rounds of the same ammo type to be properly "seasoned" for accurate shooting.

You will also see a significant reduction in your flyers and group size if you burn the first round in every magazine you shoot. There exists an odd phenomena with 10/22s where the first round hand cycled into the chamber will almost never group in the same place as the rounds that follow. Try it and you will be pleasantly surprised.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    You will also see a significant reduction in your flyers and group size if you burn the first round in every magazine you shoot. There exists an odd phenomena with 10/22s where the first round hand cycled into the chamber will almost never group in the same place as the rounds that follow. Try it and you will be pleasantly surprised.

I have found this to be completely true for my guns as well.

Top Bottom