• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    The Outlaws guitarist Freddie Salem passed away from 'complications due to cancer at the age of 70...

Salem first appeared with the Outlaws on the album Playin' to Win in 1978, a year after he replaced original guitarist Henry Paul.

He then stayed for the band's following four albums and wrote several of their hits, including 'White Horses,' 'Long Gone,' 'Devil's Road' and 'Don't Stop'.

Salem left the band in 1983 after it was dropped by Arista Records...

1727188162782.png

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    RIP Kris Kristofferson
    Oh man that's terrible but not unexpected with his recent health problems. Glad he's not suffering anymore and he's finally at peace.

The movie Convoy was the first trucking movie that I saw and thought he was the coolest movie character as the Rubber Duck. I still thought he was great in the Blade movies as Whistler.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Ole Kris was a good actor, and a great song writer, but I personally couldn't stand his singing.
    RIP Kris

His voice was pretty flat and boring, yeah...but a damn sight better than most "singer-songwriters" like Neil Diamond and Bob Dylan.

The greatest Kristofferson story I know is the story of how "Sunday Morning Comin' Down" became a hit for Johnny Cash. See, Kristofferson had left the Army (as a captain and a helicopter pilot) to write songs rather than teach history at West Point. He drifted around from job to job for a few years, sometimes flying helicopters to oil rigs and sometimes working as a janitor, and penned what he thought was a sure hit if he could just get it into the hands of one JR Cash to record it. So one day he took his shot. He finagled a backstage pass at a concert and managed to be in the hallway behind the stage at the right time, and there came Johnny Cash. Kristofferson handed him the lyrics sheet and a tape of the song, for which he was thanked as Cash handed it to one of his publicists, who waited till Cash turned a corner before dropping it into a trash can right in front of Kristofferson.

Kristofferson was crushed. Then he came up with a plan.

Cut to a few weeks later, John and June are hanging out at their house in Tennessee, when all of a sudden a (ahem...borrowed) National Guard helicopter lands in their back yard. Cash runs out to confront the pilot, who looks vaguely familiar, but he's having none of it. He demands that the helicopter be removed from his property, and Kristofferson refuses...unless Cash listens to the demo tape and reads the lyric sheet.

Oddly enough, he did. And "Sunday Morning Comin' Down" became one of his most beloved hits, while Kris Kristofferson became one of his best friends and most frequent collaborators.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    His voice was pretty flat and boring, yeah...but a damn sight better than most "singer-songwriters" like Neil Diamond and Bob Dylan.
    I remember turning down free tickets to Dylan when I was in college because I felt he couldn't sing worth a damn. Still feel the same way.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Something I learned just this evening about Kris Kristofferson...in 1966, he volunteered to go to Vietnam (being a Ranger and a helicopter pilot and all) but the Army wanted him to teach. So he left when his commitment was up.

10-96inTexas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2022
    Cooterville
    Ben beat me to it, but here's the article

Great songwriter and singer. Pretty good actor too. I rewatch this movie every now and then. RIP Kris Kristofferson

Top Bottom