• Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area
    Great actor, great voice. Once at BestBuy I saw an audio Bible that he had recorded. I almost bought it, but it cost about twice as much as I could possibly have afforded that day...but just to hear James Earl Jones intone "In the beginning..."

I did buy it, in CDs. Still have it.

It's hard to feel too bad when someone has led a very long life, but this one hurts.

Trivia: Jones had a serious stutter as a kid. It was his concentrated effort to overcome it that led to his signature vocal delivery. And which also then led to his roles on stage and then in movies.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    It was costly but the American Numismatic Association hired him to narrate a documentary on coin collecting. It was only a 2-day job for him because he pretty much nailed every line with next to zero rehearsal. Retakes were almost non-existent.

It was wonderful to hear those stentorian euphonious tones in such a pedestrian undertaking. I talked to folks who were involved in the production and they said he was a joy to work with, totally professional, and seemed a genuinely good person.

A cliche, I know, but...

We are diminished.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    You can't forget King Jaffe Joffer!!

Screenshot_20240909_193143_Chrome.jpg

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    For me, the first time I ever actually saw James Earl Jones (and not just heard his voice wile Dave Prowse wore the costume) was in Conan the Barbarian. Thulsa Doom was every bit the iconic villain Darth Vader was, plus you could actually see the expression on his face and the performance Jones gave in what a lot of actors of his stature would've considered an easy, low-effort paycheck. No, not James Earl Jones. He gave his all, and you could see the maniacal gleam in his eye as he delivered his lines.

1725928782465.png

1725928800807.png

1725928843103.png

Conan the Barbarian has a special place in my heart. The first few minutes feature a (mostly bullshit but still visually arresting) sword forging sequence that caught my attention as a kid and fueled my lifelong fascination with blacksmithing and blade forging. And James Earl Jones was part of what made the movie great.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    For me, the first time I ever actually saw James Earl Jones (and not just heard his voice wile Dave Prowse wore the costume) was in Conan the Barbarian. Thulsa Doom was every bit the iconic villain Darth Vader was, plus you could actually see the expression on his face and the performance Jones gave in what a lot of actors of his stature would've considered an easy, low-effort paycheck. No, not James Earl Jones. He gave his all, and you could see the maniacal gleam in his eye as he delivered his lines.

View attachment 473259

View attachment 473260

View attachment 473261

Conan the Barbarian has a special place in my heart. The first few minutes feature a (mostly bullshit but still visually arresting) sword forging sequence that caught my attention as a kid and fueled my lifelong fascination with blacksmithing and blade forging. And James Earl Jones was part of what made the movie great.

Fun fact: The creator of Conan the Barbarian was a Texan.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County

kbaxter60

Consider the Source
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Once at BestBuy I saw an audio Bible that he had recorded. I almost bought it, but it cost about twice as much as I could possibly have afforded that day...but just to hear James Earl Jones intone "In the beginning..."
    They played part of his Bible reading on the radio today. Caller said it's free on YouTube.
    It sounded amazing.
    Here:

Support
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    mosingirl
    Top Bottom