• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    You've only seen the Sport. Ford pulled a boner naming that thing a Bronco when they have a completely different Bronco on the way.

Kinda like how they called that electric thing a Mustang.
    Should have went with Bronco II again.

The real Bronco should be built on the F150 platform like before.

Ford dropped the ball on this vehicle all around.
    Hurley's Gold

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Should have went with Bronco II again.

They did much better than Chevy did with the “Blazer”.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    They did much better than Chevy did with the “Blazer”.

That's not a bad looking vehicle, but it's not what most of us consider to be a Blazer.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    It's a body on frame SUV available with a manual. It's a unicorn these days, and I'm very happy they've built it.

I think the Ranger frame is fine. The original Bronco, which this version is heavily styled after, was only a little bigger than a Jeep. If you haven't noticed, trucks have gotten huge... A 2021 Ranger is about the same size as the last F150 I had :laughing:

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    It's a body on frame SUV available with a manual. It's a unicorn these days, and I'm very happy they've built it.

I think the Ranger frame is fine. The original Bronco, which this version is heavily styled after, was only a little bigger than a Jeep. If you haven't noticed, trucks have gotten huge... A 2021 Ranger is about the same size as the last F150 I had :laughing:

Yup, and the soon-to-be Maverick looks to be mid-90's / early 2000's Ranger size

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas

I just hate the current trend of taking a car, putting a hatch back on it, one size bigger tires, adding AWD, and calling it a suv.

Give me a manual transmission, real 4x4 low, locking diffs, manual hubs, a solid front axle, and some real power. This thing could have been a beast.

Ford had the chance to step up and didn't.

There are plenty of suvs for soccer moms out there. All they did is put a different name on an Explorer.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I guess we're probably not the right group to ask, but I wonder if the market in general would accept or even prefer simpler vehicles? Lose all the gadgets and touch screens, keeping only what is necessary for operation and regulatory constraints. People buy cars with options galore, but realistically never or at best rarely use them.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I guess we're probably not the right group to ask, but I wonder if the market in general would accept or even prefer simpler vehicles? Lose all the gadgets and touch screens, keeping only what is necessary for operation and regulatory constraints. People buy cars with options galore, but realistically never or at best rarely use them.

if car companies can make money on them you bet they would be out there.

and if you want a stripped truck see the fleet sales guy.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I just hate the current trend of taking a car, putting a hatch back on it, one size bigger tires, adding AWD, and calling it a suv.

Give me a manual transmission, real 4x4 low, locking diffs, manual hubs, a solid front axle, and some real power. This thing could have been a beast.

Ford had the chance to step up and didn't.

There are plenty of suvs for soccer moms out there. All they did is put a different name on an Explorer.

Most new auto's out preform sticks in almost all off road situations that 99.9999999% of drivers will face.

that last few modify the ride so much they may as well start with an auto and install the rock crawl gears and manual if they want it.

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    Most new auto's out preform sticks in almost all off road situations that 99.9999999% of drivers will face.

that last few modify the ride so much they may as well start with an auto and install the rock crawl gears and manual if they want it.
    Except when it comes to replacing the transmission. Changing a clutch verses a 8k auto transmission rebuild. I can usually handle a clutch change in my driveway. I don't have the specialty tools or the knowledge to rebuild one of the newer transmissions.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Hell yes! I just bought a car with the most minimal amount of gadgets I could get. The next model up (which I could easily have afforded) had all kinds of doo-dads on it. I didn't buy it specifically it had the extra gear.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas

For new, they aren’t as profitable.
    Plus a lot kid gadgetry is .gov mandated as you note.

The used market absolutely prefers them.
    The vehicles with the highest resale value - Toyota trucks like the FJ, 4Runner, Tacoma - tend to be the oldest and simplest vehicles in their respective classes.

Geez just look at what older 7.3L Ford diesels and Dodge Ram 5.9L diesels are going for these days. It’s crazy money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Oh yeah, the packaging of options is pretty obviously their profit center. Want memory seats? You need to step up to the next trim level at a cost of 4k. So that's a no. ;)

They like to make the sparsely optioned vehicle look "cheap" too in some cases, to entice you into the higher trims. Still blows my mind you can have a 20k (or more) swing in price with non powertrain options.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Oh yeah, the packaging of options is pretty obviously their profit center. Want memory seats? You need to step up to the next trim level at a cost of 4k. So that's a no. ;)

They like to make the sparsely optioned vehicle look "cheap" too in some cases, to entice you into the higher trims. Still blows my mind you can have a 20k (or more) swing in price with non powertrain options.

That’s a real dilemma for car buyers.

For example:
    Should I buy a base model accord, or a loaded civic for about the same price?

Pickup trucks are just wild.
    A base half-ton for $30k, or a loaded one for $75k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Many years ago, you could go into the dealership, and pretty much order a vehicle equipped with just the options you wanted on a vehicle. All you had to do was sit down with the salesman, and go down the options list and check off the options you wanted, and about four to six weeks later, the salesman called you, (on a landline of course!) to let you know your vehicle was in.

This why when you buy a lot of the older vehicles now, they can can some interesting options that came with.

Years and years ago, I bought a 1978 Pontiac Formula from a friend of mine, that he had bought from the original owner that had ordered the car from a Pontiac dealership in Corsicana. Ordered in black, with black velour interior. Equipped with a W-72 400 and manual four speed transmission and a posi-trac 3.42 geared rearend. Alsao equipped with the WS-6 handling package, which included the 8" aluminum "snowflake" rims. Power brakes and power steering were also added. Non-A/C, and no power accessories at all. The original owner must have been wanting a race car from the factory!

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Many years ago, you could go into the dealership, and pretty much order a vehicle equipped with just the options you wanted on a vehicle. All you had to do was sit down with the salesman, and go down the options list and check off the options you wanted, and about four to six weeks later, the salesman called you, (on a landline of course!) to let you know your vehicle was in.

This why when you buy a lot of the older vehicles now, they can can some interesting options that came with.

Years and years ago, I bought a 1978 Pontiac Formula from a friend of mine, that he had bought from the original owner that had ordered the car from a Pontiac dealership in Corsicana. Ordered in black, with black velour interior. Equipped with a W-72 400 and manual four speed transmission and a posi-trac 3.42 geared rearend. Alsao equipped with the WS-6 handling package, which included the 8" aluminum "snowflake" rims. Power brakes and power steering were also added. Non-A/C, and no power accessories at all. The original owner must have been wanting a race car from the factory!
    Got a great buy on a vehicle many years ago. Owner custom ordered, then bailed. Most folks did not like the front bench seat. It was fine with me. Saved mucho dinero.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring

Pretty cool they kept a lot of those RPO codes all the way to the end too ;) In the last generation, the WS6 was still the performance and handling package. Got you the hood and raised airbox, 17x9 wheels, 3.23 gear if you picked an automatic, and Bilstein shocks. Stinks the last Firebird was in 2002. I still miss my '98 Formula sometimes.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas

Yep, Find a real Rock Buggy with a manual trans. They all run automatics with twin stick transfer cases.

Top Bottom