Houston
    Stroked Miata engine with a turbski.
    Something like that:
    2021-bronco-2-3l-engine-compartment-5-jpg-jpg.34390

tsugsr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Seen a few in person and find them to be fugly. Typical modern suv with little resemblance to the original. The prototype drafts left me super excited; final product, not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Get her out on the freeway. You gotta get that thing up to 95, check out the fluorocarbon output.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Finally got to drive one at their Off-Road Experience a couple days ago. I really appreciated the Bronco team being very enthusiastic about the manual! That crawler gear is hilariously low; just idle over everything. The camera system is something I'm only used to seeing on things like fully loaded Land Rovers, so it's nice to see it in a "budget" off-roader..

Last edited:

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Chip shortage continues... From what I understand the shortages are related to the infotainment systems, not critical functions? The off-road cameras are cool, but maybe putting all these gadgets into cars is counter productive.

Silicon shortages can hit nearly every supplier.

It might be infotainment for a few weeks, could be something else next week. But there’s so much silicon in modern cars, it could be anything.

Totally agree, there’s too much crap in cars these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Chip shortage continues... From what I understand the shortages are related to the infotainment systems, not critical functions? The off-road cameras are cool, but maybe putting all these gadgets into cars is counter productive.
    Vehicles are getting so complicated . I suggest that car makers adopt aviation style electronics where you have a "critical" system data bus and a separate bus for cameras, entertainment and the host of creature features that drive the cost and maintenance up. This would allow for easy and less costly upgrades..the expense of added wiring would be minimal and allow buyers to select those items which are important to them.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Vehicles are getting so complicated . I suggest that car makers adopt aviation style electronics where you have a "critical" system data bus and a separate bus for cameras, entertainment and the host of creature features that drive the cost and maintenance up. This would allow for easy and less costly upgrades..the expense of added wiring would be minimal and allow buyers to select those items which are important to them.
    They are segmented.
    Different manufacturers split them out a little differently, but the basic concept is this:

There's "CAN-C", the chassis bus. It connects the modules necessary to run the car and some ancillary stuff. Engine, transmission, etc.
    There's "CAN-IHS", the internal high-speed bus. It connects the infotainment, comfort, and convenience modules.
    There's simple, low-speed one-wire LIN-BUS connections too, for things like steering wheel buttons, seat motors, etc. The LIN will connect back to the rest of the car through a module sitting on one of the CAN busses.
    Then there's a "CAN-D" network, the diagnostic bus. That's the one that connects to the DLC (diagnostic link connector) under the dash. Now days that bus communicates only with a security gateway, and that gateway connects to the other busses (sometimes including a dedicated CAN bus for the wireless module).

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    iu

This is an example, and what I have in the trunk of my car. There's a few of these blocks throughout the car, but the green block is the CAN-C bus and the white block is the CAN-IHS bus. They do not connect to each other, and the connectors are keyed differently so you can't plug a module into the wrong bus.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    They are segmented.
    Different manufacturers split them out a little differently, but the basic concept is this:

There's "CAN-C", the chassis bus. It connects the modules necessary to run the car and some ancillary stuff. Engine, transmission, etc.
    There's "CAN-IHS", the internal high-speed bus. It connects the infotainment, comfort, and convenience modules.
    There's simple, low-speed one-wire LIN-BUS connections too, for things like steering wheel buttons, seat motors, etc. The LIN will connect back to the rest of the car through a module sitting on one of the CAN busses.
    Then there's a "CAN-D" network, the diagnostic bus. That's the one that connects to the DLC (diagnostic link connector) under the dash. Now days that bus communicates only with a security gateway, and that gateway connects to the other busses (sometimes including a dedicated CAN bus for the wireless module).
    I was refering to the open ports for expansion and the isolation of critical systems from basic operating systems. for example: the current tech allows a failure in a mileage enhancement feature to place the vehicle in "recovery mode" which is extremely restrictive. I had a transmission thottle sensor failure on my Dodge which made the vehicle inoperative vs just allowing less efficient shifting and "harder shifts" note that the harder shifts were just what all trannies had several years ago and not damaging in any way.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I was refering to the open ports for expansion and the isolation of critical systems from basic operating systems. for example: the current tech allows a failure in a mileage enhancement feature to place the vehicle in "recovery mode" which is extremely restrictive. I had a transmission thottle sensor failure on my Dodge which made the vehicle inoperative vs just allowing less efficient shifting and "harder shifts" note that the harder shifts were just what all trannies had several years ago and not damaging in any way.
    Yeah that's intentional. If a feature malfunctioning didn't affect the drivability of the vehicle, users would likely just ignore the dead feature and keep using the vehicle like the transportation device it really is. Manufactures want to force you back to their dealer network for every little thing that goes wrong.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    This is the business model that I’m hoping never makes it to vehicles…forcing you to use a dealer for repairs:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Don’t forget subscription-based features are becoming mainstream, too. That shît is for the birds.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    That's where the cottage industry of developing and installing replacement controllers will become very lucrative.
    That's an expense we shouldn't have to deal with. For enthusiast cars people will spring for it, but most consumer cars are seen as disposable so paying decent money for an aftermarket work around won't be viable. It's just going to push cars into junk yards sooner, raise new car prices, and start to price vehicle ownership out of the middle class.

Now if an aftermarket work around is only like $100 people will buy it, but that's not what I'd consider lucrative for developers.

You also have to be wary that manufactures are lobbying hard to make these sort of aftermarket modifications illegal as well as fear-mongering you'll be raped by your mechanic.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    anibal79
    Top Bottom