• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NTMock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Hockley, TX
    I am looking to get a new truck for work in a couple of weeks. I have opted for the 2012 Ram 2500 with the hemi engine because if I go up to a diesel my boss will want me to pull a trailer which I do not want to do at this point. I have heard good and bad things about the mileage on those trucks. My question for you all is does anyone here have this vehicle or any knowledge of it? I'm looking to figure out a reason why this truck will be better for me than my current one.

The one major plus that I know about the 2012 and 13 Rams is that they now have a six speed automatic transmission which runs at about 1500 rpm at highway speeds.

Also I am willing to listen to suggestions if anyone else has experience hauling between 500 to 3000 pounds in one load.

The truck must be four wheel drive, crew cab, and have an 8 foot bed.

Not looking for any fancy options, a standard work class truck will do.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    Texas SOT

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    If you tow anything with a hemi mpg is going to take a dump. With a diesel you will get better mileage but its still going to suck fuel like nobody's business.

I wish I bought a diesel instead.

Sent from my toaster using secret alien technology.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    You might as well add the 5k for the diesel if you're going to a 2500 4wd. If you're going 8' box you'll only get a QC, not Mega. (Megas only get 6.5' bed). End of the year = sale = better price.

If it's your truck then you tell the boss what you'll haul and when, least until he's paying for your truck.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Neither has good MPG, probably have to special order the truck with the long bed too BTW. The Hemi is a good motor though, mpg would be from what ive seen on em 13-19 mpg depending on your foot. If your not gonna use a diesel as it is intended than the gas motor is for you.

NTMock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Hockley, TX
    Neither has good MPG, probably have to special order the truck with the long bed too BTW. The Hemi is a good motor though, mpg would be from what ive seen on em 13-19 mpg depending on your foot. If your not gonna use a diesel as it is intended than the gas motor is for you.

Yeah I agree. I won't ever use the power from a diesel. I'm using a 2004 1500 hemi now and get 17-18mpg highway @ 65mph with 500-800 lbs in my bed. I'm hoping it will be around the same if not better in the 2012 with that 6 speed trans. I was able to find a dodge 2500 crew cab long bed with hemi in the ST work model. got approved earlier. Going in tomorrow to make a decision.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    The 1/2T diesel will start up in the fall.

OP, hope you find the truck you need. That's the important thing.

NTMock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Hockley, TX
    The 1/2T diesel will start up in the fall.

OP, hope you find the truck you need. That's the important thing.

Thanks Shorts.

I did find a really decent one. Going to look at it tomorrow. Basic specs and numbers below.

2012 RAM 2500 Heavy Duty with HEMI 5.7
    Crew Cab
    8' Bed
    4x4

MSRP was around 38,000

Got an instant 1% less than factory invoice for banking with Capital One.

Brought it down to 33,500.

500 consumer cash credit

Trade in value of 5,500 and 4,000 cash on top.

Financing 23,500 + TTL.. Amazing deal.

I have been trying to find a vehicle for years. Every time I get close, something happens and I am not able to make a purchase. I was looking at cars because I worked an office job for a long time. Seems like every time I applied for financing I got laid off or had to move and find new work. Soon as I started hot-shotting, I need a truck, find one in a couple of days.

YUP, God is GOOD.

Last edited:

NTMock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Hockley, TX
    And crap.. does anyone know if I can get a copy of my vehicle title in another county? I really don't want to wait in a Harris County tax office line.. that would take hours.. especially since there is only ONE location in Harris County to get a certified copy of your vehicle title. I found a link on the TX DMV website saying "Other supported counties" and Waller County was one of them. If so, does that mean I can go to Waller County to get a certified copy of my title?

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    If you're doing a dealer trade-in, they should have paperwork available that they can get a copy of the title later - talk to 'em. Should NOT be a big deal.

NTMock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Hockley, TX
    everyone i hear about getting that sort of gas mileage must have a heavy foot.. when i take off at an intersection i never exceed 2k rpm, and never idle over it at highway speeds. gasing it when the light turns green wont get anyone there any faster. =\ lol .. in my 1500 i get 15 city and 18-19 highway.. which is over OEM rating for my year

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    I've gotten 14-16 mpg on my last 3 Ram 1500 Hemis. Pretty wary of that "20+mpg" claim by Dodge. Your 3/4 ton will beeven worse.
    (04 QC Hemi, 08 QC Hemi, 11 Crew Cab Hemi 4x4).

Last edited:

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    8 speed is out already but only available on the 3.6 v6. Light duty transmission. Have seen no issues yet but only have seen a few, odd dial for the trans though instead of a traditional shifter.

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Hauled this for my buddy

dady9yma.jpg

uta9asy5.jpg

back from Wichita Falls 70mph all the way got about 14.5mpg

2005 2500 Cummins 175k on the clock