• ...and so much more!
  • dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    <>

Now,I just noticed that we haven’t even got to the category of “exercise machine junk”; which could fill volumes.

Your turn, again. . . . . .

leVieux

<>
    Gee, forgot about that as I stare at the 3rd treadmill we've owned over the years. I eventually lost the argument over the last one we purchased this year but at least I convinced her to get one that can fold down and be stored under a bed. I think it's been used 3 times excluding the cat using the mat as a place to nap.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    <>

Overall, most of us find that unneeded items become a burden. Last thing most want in retirement is another burden.

<>
    Understand
    We see it differently and that's OK
    Yall keep posting your stuff for sale and I'll keep buying..lol

My dad moved into a smaller home on a postage stamp size lot
    Got rid of all his wood working stuff..chainsaws..
    Damn near gave it away at flea market prices all so he could sit back and do nothing and relax

He sat his ass in his recliner and watched the weather channel and just waited for the grass to grow enough so he could have an excuse to mow it.

He ended up with allzheimers and died in a nursing home

I've seen men full of life get the bug to downsize and 5 years later they have no reason to get out of bed and don't feel useful and their health goes down the tube

Be careful what you wish for fellas...

Last edited:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Understand
    We see it differently and that's OK
    Yall keep posting your stuff for sale and I'll keep buying..lol

My dad moved into a smaller home on a postage stamp size lot
    Got rid of all his wood working stuff..chainsaws..
    Damn near gave it away at flea market prices all so he could sit back and do nothing and relax

He sat his ass in his recliner and watched the weather channel and just waited for the grass to grow enough so he could have an excuse to mow it.

He ended up with allzheimers and died in a nursing home

I've seen men full of life get the bug to downsize and 5 years later they have no reason to get out of bed and don't feel useful and their health goes down the tutube's.

<>

My late Dad did just the opposite with woodworking.

<>

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I too have very slowly been de-cluttering.

My method: Giving 'stuff' away (the list is long and quite varied, but mostly high end stuff') as I can't stand the thought of a garage sale or an ad, thus producing a bunch of strangers coming to my house...nah, it's simply easier to give it away.

Mostly, I give stuff away to family or friends or to service folks like HVAC guys, vehicle mechanics or other service folks who I like.

Also, given a lot of us are 'long in the tooth' (I can't believe I'm still above ground) let your spouse know your death/disposal wishes for your carcass when you keel over. Yes, she could be the first to depart, but it's more likely as a male, you're leaving first...

Mine knows, it's in my will, that I want to be cremated when I'm relieved of my mortal coil...oh yeah, and a DNR and no last minute intubation, if I end up dying in a hospital.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    I've seen men full of life get the bug to downsize and 5 years later they have no reason to get out of bed and don't feel useful and their health goes down the tutube's.

I definitely agree. I downsized due to less space and while I don't plan to retire for several more years, there are some things that were tough to physically do at 40 that I sure won't do at 61. I pulled a heavy duty track bar two weeks ago so I could get to the bolts to replace a steering damper. I felt those muscles for 2 days afterwards. But I don't plan to ever use an auger in gumbo to build a victorian fence ever again.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Mine knows, it's in my will, that I want to be cremated when I'm relieved of my mortal coil...oh yeah, and a DNR and no last minute intubation, if I end up dying in a hospital.

This is the important stuff to have in writing and make sure your peeps know about.

Heard of a guy recently that had those same wishes. His son didn't know, and he was on a vent for days before passing.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    This is the important stuff to have in writing and make sure your peeps know about.

Heard of a guy recently that had those same wishes. His son didn't know, and he was on a vent for days before passing.

<>

Please choose your words very carefully with EOL instructions.

Many of us who have dealt with these things use terms like “avoid futile care” and ‘’don’t prolong an inevitable death’’.

Being on a respirator should be OK, if there is a decent chance of returning to useful life activities.

Our modern quandary arose when governments allowed public financing of “futile care” under the threat of tort law.

Back when Families had to pay for care, we rarely saw this.

leVieux

<>

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    I told my son that if I get Alzheimers, he should take me down to the lower pasture and have a hunting "accident." He said "Dad, you know I couldn't do that!" I know, but it would be an act of mercy. I watched my dad's mind go to Jello over a period of about 5 years.

I just recently retired, and I'm just beginning the process of de-cluttering. I need to sell some guitars and some photography equipment. And I need to give away a bunch of clothing.

Iuprof

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2018
    North Richland Hills, TX
    Just retired. I used to think that I'd just let my kids go through everything, until I had to do it for my in-laws and parents. It amazed me how much crap they all kept and they weren't hoarders. But there was always the...you never know when you need 4 of something mentality.

I'm not a minimalist, but if I don't use something I get rid of it. Watches, guns, clothes, whatever. I have sold most of my long guns for this reason and enjoy my pistols. If having rooms, garages, and storage units full of stuff floats your boat then you do you. I've found, for me, it doesn't appeal anymore.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    For myself, I just find that all the stuff and need to downsize it all is too overwhelming to even begin, therefore maybe tomorrow. A few friends told me years ago what they do is just begin with an egg timer, alarm cock, whatever. Be realistic and set a goal each day of maybe 10-15 minutes, then stop. Even if you're feeling good and finally doing the chore you've put off forever, just stop anyway. Next day same thing and so on for a week. Monday always a good time to begin a project and measure your success on Saturday. Just think, after a week of 15 minutes each day your project will have a dent. Mine sure would. Increase your duration time as you go every few weeks but always remain realistic and don't try and set the world on fire. These small goals are much more achievable than that one big one. Now, after my sermon I need to set some goals to finally begin my own journey. Maybe next week...

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

NEXT BIG RETIREMENT TOPIC:

“Preparing for & coping with the declines of physical abilities which always accompany aging.”

Many tell of not accounting for this universal phenomenon in time.

Moi, I had to switch from running to walking then to bicycling years before retiring. I also went from offshore big-game fishing to Jon boat riding, from climbing Rocky mountains to leisure strolls on Ozark trails, from SCUBA to snorkeling, from driving airplanes to my JEEPS, etc.

This year, I even had to put my little Jon boat up for sale. We realized that if we fell overboard we wouldn’t be able to get back in, despite an expensive boarding ladder & “boat steps”.

You should plan for your dotages, too.

Please report your plans & experiences here.

<>

Paul Saver

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2023
    North Texas
    For myself, I just find that all the stuff and need to downsize it all is too overwhelming to even begin, therefore maybe tomorrow. A few friends told me years ago what they do is just begin with an egg timer, alarm cock, whatever. Be realistic and set a goal each day of maybe 10-15 minutes, then stop. Even if you're feeling good and finally doing the chore you've put off forever, just stop anyway. Next day same thing and so on for a week. Monday always a good time to begin a project and measure your success on Saturday. Just think, after a week of 15 minutes each day your project will have a dent. Mine sure would. Increase your duration time as you go every few weeks but always remain realistic and don't try and set the world on fire. These small goals are much more achievable than that one big one. Now, after my sermon I need to set some goals to finally begin my own journey. Maybe next week...
    Curious, what exactly is an alarm cock.. Freudian slip perhaps.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Cass County TX.
    There are those that believe that 9/09/2024 something very big is going to happen, as if you should have been prepared for it.
    Had a friend who was a " those", always prepared for "something very big" for 50+ years. You should have seen him right after 9-11, the wacko in Waco, OK city bombing, Atlanta bombing, and right before Y2K, Maya Calendar, and a couple of dozen other "something very big" dates. Died quietly in his sleep after nothing very big happened. But he was prepared.

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    My biggest concern is some guns that I don't want some worthless relatives to get.
    I need to start selling some.

Top Bottom