• ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

“Death & Taxes”, they say. .. . . . .; .

But many here are facing “retirement” if we luck-out and get a few years between the job & the grave.

By now we’ve all seen financial advice ad nauseam, so not more of that.

Let’s share some non-financial discoveries we have uncovered around our own retirements.

For me, one major thing is de-junking before work life is over. I had accumulated lots of boating & hunting gear. But Wife is a “saver of things”, not so much a hoarder, but just likes to keep things which have little chance of being used in our lifetimes.

At one point, we had 3 rental warehouses & a garage filled with books, furniture, cooking equipment, sports gear, & assorted ammo. That stuff “costs’’ to keep in many ways.

Another is clothing. I didn’t realize just how much my usual wardrobe would change once retired. Of course snow-ski gear, wetsuits, & neckties went promptly. But it took me a while to fully understand that dress shoes, sports coats, & thin socks would never be worn again.

Even after losing some 60#, and taking loads of fat clothes to Church Charity, there were many more items still taking-up my life-force. A commercial cooking grease filter set, a complete never used child’s toy kitchen set, door covers for a JEEP whose doors stay on, a couple hundred rounds of 00, a few Galvanized anchors w/ chains, a giant box of giant scrub shirts, embroidered w/ my name, mesquite firewood from 2002, swimming pool skimmers (never had a pool), etc.

We become prisoners of our possessions. As ‘Rich Dad’’ Kiyosaki explained: What is an asset? An asset is something which, should you suddenly become disabled, would pay you regularly. Everything else is a liability. A boat, for example, has to be stored, insured, cleaned, maintained, etc. whether one uses it, or not.

Then, there is inertia born of lack of duties. We all have our bucket lists; but, what to follow them ?

We all as Humans can anticipate declining capabilities. If you really want an African Safari or a long offshore sailing voyage, don’t wait

OK, I’m out of ammo for now; please add your observations or advice.

leVieux
    (retired)

<>

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Cass County TX.
    I have been dodging this for 3 years. No quality advice, observation damn you for bringing it up.
    I am wrestling with the same demons. I have been by the Goodwill drop box a dozen or so times. Sold the scuba gear and equipment on FB Marketplace. Gave a lathe, table saw, and radial arm saw to a charity auction. Now how to tackle the big stuff, boat, trucks, bikes, tube gear...

Last edited:

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I just retired for the second time and I’m trying to find my niche. All those years of working 60-70 hrs per week, on call 24/7, HOPING I survived to see retirement. Now, I lack structure in my life and need to regain it.

All those years of having a great income, I bought many items intending to enhance my retirement- tools, guns, a few luxury items. Now, many of them are items of a bygone era and hang like a literal albatross around my neck! What the hell do you do with a Rolex, engraved no less, when I don’t even wear or need a watch - the cell phone tells me the time! All just things I need to sell, give away, or dispose of so my heirs don’t think I had lost my mind.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I'm not retired yet. But I began the de-clutter phase after my wife's passing. She had a ton of stuff. I found a resale shop that benefits a battered womens shelter, and donated 6 or 7 Tahoe loads of clothes and stuff. After My busy season ends I am cleaning out my garage. I just have paths to walk through. A Coke machine, and other stuff has to go.

Next up is I will tackle my closet. I have too many clothes. I get rid of shoes regularly, but the clothes seem to pile up.

In regards to tools, I plan to empty my garage out on my driveway and group stuff together. That way I can get rid of some of it assuming its doubles or triples of things. I really need to simplify things.

I have to get it more organized.

I had some house disasters over the past three years, so most of that is in good shape. I donated a bunch of stuff when I had to rearrange and pack things up.

Last edited:

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    At age 76 I have so much BS in public storage I will never use again but wanted to keep that space just in case. I have 2 bedrooms out of 3 in this house I effectively call man caves. Is absolutely disgusting since it's not even my house. My goal if ever achieved is to wipe out everything but my socks and underwear drawer so my wife doesn't have to when she comes home from funeral someday.

glenbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    Wife and I are going through this right now. Well, I am, she's doing nothing because she's an invalid. Getting rid of 35 years worth of collecting things we thought we'd need is a difficult thing to do. Every time I gather a few things to donate, she wants me to explain why for every single piece. At that rate, I'll be about 300 years old before we are uncluttered.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I'll never understand this phenomenon I've seen people go thru as they reach retirement.
    The urge to "get rid" of all the things you've searched for and aquire your whole life.
    To hell with that.
    I'm keeping everything I have until I leave the earth

Someone else can come deal with it and have an estate sale for all I care.

I just bought a 4th generator yesterday off of Facebook ..lol
    Maybe the other 3 won't work when I need them or maybe I just wanted it and it was a good deal.
    I'm not a hoarder by a long shot..

But I've had friends that couldn't stand to have 2 of the same thing..they would sell or give a way the 2nd and then they felt better.

I have a dumb ass buddy that had a nice 16 ft trailer. Just a few years old..It sat for a few months without him needing it so the dumbass sold it this past spring

Well. He just bought land and he needed a side by side now the dumb ass has to go by another trailer at 40% more than he paid for the one he bought in 2020..

That's just stupid behavior

Dermako

Semi-Retired of that
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 16, 2019
    DFW
    Same boat here.
    Sold business a couple years ago and am semi retired now. Still do some consulting and that is starting to get in the way of retirement.
    We have been in the same place for 34 years.
    It’s overwhelming. Where do you start. Clothes, shoes, books, coolers of all shapes and sizes, car accessories, gardening and greenhouse shit, Christmas stuff, party stuff, tools, machinery, office stuff, exercise/clothes hangers. And is probably just the surface.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Not ready to retire financially but we sold our big house 6 years ago where we had lived for 20 years. You fill the space you have! Read up on how to declutter room by room - quick piles of keep, throw away and not sure. We downsized but wish we'd kept a few things we bought again within a few years. We had some real junk like 2 pool pumps for above ground pools, ancient clothes and many items we hadn't touched since moving into that home 20 years prior (craft paint, etc). Sad to see a few things go like tools I hadn't used in many years but I've owned for decades such as feeler gauge for points, my old Sears timing gun, my grandfather's low-end circular saw that was older than me, etc.

I think we'd decluttered somewhat each time we moved in our youth but living 20 years in one place, you'll accumulate.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

The ‘’rule’’ for regular clothing is this: If it hasn’t been worn in 2 years, it goes.

Specialty things like snow ski or SCUBA; 3 - 5 years.

Some stuff is problematic; I wore very narrow shoes, which are difficult to find and expensive. But at age 64, for unknown reason, my feet GREW, from 11A to 12B/C; so they all had to be replaced. Even my yet-unworn $400 hunting boots. All 3 pair of my $1,000 M.L Leddy western boots. Bit the bullet, replaced them all. But by 75, they went up to more usual “D” width; now some of the B/C’s still fit fine but others don’t.

Then I noted that I just don’t wear regular leather shoes any more. I wore a pair to a friend’s daughter’s wedding a year or so back. I look into our coat closet; there in the dark sit some dozen pair of dress shoes.

On retiring, I lost some 28# by myself; then got on a UTD/LSU weight-loss program, lost another 50# or so; 268 to 181#. Had a ton of clothes to donate.

This goes on-&-on.

When moving into our new custom “retirement home”; I built a 25x45’ metal “boat garage” for our new boat & my old JEEP. Guess what ? Wife filled it with more JUNK, so couldn’t get vehicles in. The very term “Boat Garage” became our little joke.

Now,I just noticed that we haven’t even got to the category of “exercise machine junk”; which could fill volumes.

Your turn, again. . . . . .

leVieux

<>

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I just retired for the second time and I’m trying to find my niche. All those years of working 60-70 hrs per week, on call 24/7, HOPING I survived to see retirement. Now, I lack structure in my life and need to regain it.

All those years of having a great income, I bought many items intending to enhance my retirement- tools, guns, a few luxury items. Now, many of them are items of a bygone era and hang like a literal albatross around my neck! What the hell do you do with a Rolex, engraved no less, when I don’t even wear or need a watch - the cell phone tells me the time! All just things I need to sell, give away, or dispose of so my heirs don’t think I had lost my mind.

<>

If that is your REAL avatar pic, might you actually need the Santa Hat I just found over here ?

<?>

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I'll never understand this phenomenon I've seen people go thru as they reach retirement.
    The urge to "get rid" of all the things you've searched for and aquire your whole life.
    To hell with that.
    I'm keeping everything I have until I leave the earth

Someone else can come deal with it and have an estate sale for all I care.

I just bought a 4th generator yesterday off of Facebook ..lol
    Maybe the other 3 won't work when I need them or maybe I just wanted it and it was a good deal.
    I'm not a hoarder by a long shot..

But I've had friends that couldn't stand to have 2 of the same thing..they would sell or give a way the 2nd and then they felt better.

I have a dumb ass buddy that had a nice 16 ft trailer. Just a few years old..It sat for a few months without him needing it so the dumbass sold it this past spring

Well. He just bought land and he needed a side by side now the dumb ass has to go by another trailer at 40% more than he paid for the one he bought in 2020..

That's just stupid behavior

<>

Overall, most of us find that unneeded items become a burden. Last thing most want in retirement is another burden.

<>

Support
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gunnar
    Top Bottom