• ...and so much more!
  • Chirpy

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Hutto, TX (kinda)
    Okay,

Other than looking all "Tactical Timmy" what's up with all the new cop cars being black? I can't think of a worse color for a car in the summer heat of Texas, especially one that sits and idles most of the day.

Now, on the one hand, I guess I shouldn't care if they want to swelter all day in a hot car, but they are burning my gas. Not to mention most folks get cranky when they are sweaty. And I don't want to deal with cranky cops.

Around here we've gone from all white Crown Vics to black Explorers, Tahoes and Chargers. Most egregious are the black Chargers with black reflective logos and such. Timmy Tactical and Sammy Stealthy all rolled into one!

Not that summer is here, I can't wait to hear them start to bitch as they can't stop sweating as they sit parked in the sun in a black car...
    Venture Surplus ad

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    You oughta see the super stealthy baby shit brown Chevy Tahoe the Frisco Police have. Always at the corner of Preston and Main with tons of business.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    How does a black vehicle have anything to do with the internal temperature of the car when the A/C is on blast and the windows are tinted? To me, they're just as much of a give-a-way as the all white cop vehicles. Those brown ones throw me off, but I think they're usually for the drug/gang units.

The only problem I see with black vehicles in the Texas heat is the clear coat gets baked right off them after a few years. But they usually auction those things off long before that happens.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    How does a black vehicle have anything to do with the internal temperature of the car when the A/C is on blast and the windows are tinted? To me, they're just as much of a give-a-way as the all white cop vehicles. Those brown ones throw me off, but I think they're usually for the drug/gang units.

The only problem I see with black vehicles in the Texas heat is the clear coat gets baked right off them after a few years. But they usually auction those things off long before that happens.
    It will affect how well the ac actually works. The internal temp is not the only factor. Under hood temps are higher, and that will affect things.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Good need all the help I can get out running the law lmao JK

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Chirpy

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Hutto, TX (kinda)
    How does a black vehicle have anything to do with the internal temperature of the car when the A/C is on blast and the windows are tinted?

Actually, a lot. I used to have your position on the matter, but back when I had a company van (black) we used to kid a coworker about driving beer trucks since he always got white. One day at lunch we both left covered parking and drove to a restaurant and parked side by side. When we came out, probably a good 40 degree difference in interior temperature, and his van was comfortable by the time we got back to the garage.

The black cars will soak up a lot more heat. It's a really stupid cosmetic move IMHO.

Sent from magic cutting board

Easy CZ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2013
    Oklahoma, aka North Texas
    I've noticed a lot of these cruisers in my neck of the woods lately...

3amu5ude.jpg

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    This has been discussed before. It's about money.

The feds want the locals to know who is in charge of a significant chunk of their funding and have made a push to get uniformity in the local departments. It used to be that city police departments reflected their unique individuality and the taste of the locals, no more. The idea that local police departments could possibly listen to their local community over the federal governmental system is not in the best interest of DHS. It is a lot like military basic training. First you take away any individuality (cutting hair, same uniform, same color schemes, etc.). Then you give only one authority who you must follow who controls the rules, actions and more importantly the funding. Remember DHS has been pumping tons of money into the local PDs for years now, many can not operate at nearly the same level they do now without it. They are like other government agencies, main job is self preservation, their justification is they can't do their stated jobs without that. They use the money to grow (and publicly state to be able to better do their job of protecting the people) and create power bases. Once a power base is established, it is hard to undo. They use federal money to grow local police departments, and get folks of the same mindset appointed/promoted/elected. Try to wean yourself off the federal teat, get kicked to the curb by angering your local constituents. Big term goal, take the control over local law enforcement away from the locals to lessen the chance of dissension in any crisis as to who the officers report to and work for.

It is the golden rule, who controls the gold controls the rules. Going to a uniform standard nationally just visually confirms who controls the gold.

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    You oughta see the super stealthy baby shit brown Chevy Tahoe the Frisco Police have. Always at the corner of Preston and Main with tons of business.

I just moved into that area and can't believe how heavily Texas enforces traffic laws. There is always someone pulled over. Where I came from we had no enforcement of traffic laws unless you were really doing something outrageous. But it's probably why traffic flows so well here. Everyone is pretty much doing the same speed and there is less chaos. The road rage issue seem to be much less as well.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I just moved into that area and can't believe how heavily Texas enforces traffic laws. There is always someone pulled over. Where I came from we had no enforcement of traffic laws unless you were really doing something outrageous. But it's probably why traffic flows so well here. Everyone is pretty much doing the same speed and there is less chaos. The road rage issue seem to be much less as well.

The only money source that the Frisco PD survives on is speeding tickets. Come out during the school year and look at the school zones. You'll see sometimes THREE stealthy white Tahoe's looking for anything over in a school zone since the tickets are so much higher. I've thought about videoing a trip across town to document the number of PD vehicles I see in one trip.

DONT SPEED HERE!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Ever driven a white patrol car during the middle of the summer in Texas? The reflection off the hood is blinding, which is why many departments are going with primarily black vehicles. Plus, a/c does keep them cool enough in the heat.

But you are right about one thing, if you make a cop sweat he's not going to be too happy about it. Most of the time it is because you made him chase you, something cops don't take too lightly.

Be citizens and obey the law, and you'll have no trouble with the police. Act like a jackass, and expected them to pay attention to you!

Cheers! M2

Top Bottom