• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio

I gave it a try today and prefer Win 7. One issue I had is that it doesn't have Windows Media Center which I like because it works well with my USB TV tuner and because it has a built in TV Guide that I like.

The other main issue is that I have three computers with three monitors but just one keyboard and mouse. I use a program called Synergy that allows me to share the keyboard and mouse with all three computers just by moving the cursor off one screen and onto another. It also allows me to copy text from a window on one computer and paste it into a window on another computer. This did not work well with the Win 10 evaluation copy.

Hopefully the final version of Win 10 will have Windows Media Center and Synergy will be updated.

Synergy - Mouse and keyboard sharing software

When I looked at the web page I noted that Synergy has been updated. The version I installed a few years ago was free but the version here is $10 so I bought it and the new version is easier to configure. Supposedly it's possible to drag and drop files between computers now.

Attachments

• Snap2.jpg
      Snap2.jpg
      49 KB · Views: 137
    Last edited:

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Cool concept, but why choose that over one beefy computer running virtual machines?
    I can watch TV or a video on one while doing something else on another or see two or three full size windows at the same time with less hassle and what ever I'd doing on each doesn't have to share processor or memory resources. It works well for me. Addendum: I installed the newer version of Synergy on the Win 10 install and it works fine. I'll gradually add the software I like and see how it gos. One thing I like is that it boots quickly.

Last edited:

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    As long as it works for you, that's all that matters. If it were me I'd do all that with the three displays on one PC and run virtual machines which can be moved to any display I want or even minimized.

I don't think that would work well for me. I use video rendering apps that can take 75+% of the processor resources and if I used 3 similar programs running on virtual machines I'd think things would get very slow if I just used one computer. I could be wrong.:clown:

Brojon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Dunno what the issue is but 8.1 is the most stable version of Windows yet - and I do this professionally for a long long time.
    Macs are not the answer - they've been continually breaking stuff since Tiger. Usually networking and file sharing but here was a time printing was borked pretty hard. I had switched over to Mac about 8 years ago and I'm typing on my Macbook Pro right now (but running Windows). I switched back to Windows a few years ago for my serious work - the Mac's just aren't up to it anymore.
    Anyway - my biggest issue was with the Metro interface. I paid 5 bucks for a program called Start8 to get the start button back and am a happy camper. I also have the Windows 10 evaluation and so far it rocks!
    Now to your problem - if you recently updated then you can roll it back to the last restore point and that should fix it. When you go to install updates in teh future (because it will show up again) you can either hide it or ignore it. PM me if you need further help with restore, but if you into the control panel and search for restore, you'll find it.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    It's been doing this since I got it now. I don't think going back in time will help any. As soon as I get a chance I will try to find my network card... or do some research on 10 and try that out.

xcrazydx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2014
    It's been doing this since I got it now. I don't think going back in time will help any. As soon as I get a chance I will try to find my network card... or do some research on 10 and try that out.
    You need to do research on your setup, not a new os.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    Ockham's razor is a problem-solving principle devised by William of Ockham (c. 1287–1347), who was an English Franciscan friar and scholastic philosopher and theologian. The principle states that among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected. Other, more complicated solutions may ultimately prove correct, but—in the absence of certainty—the fewer assumptions that are made, the better.

It's not likely the OS.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    You need to do research on your setup, not a new os.
    So what you're saying, is he should choose his hardware specifically and wisely, based on what works best with the software.

... and people harp on Apple. Hello, pot! Meet kettle.

It's no secret why OS X enjoys the reputation for being significantly more stable in everyday situations - Apple doesn't have the burden of trying to A) rely on third-parties for driver support, and B) attempt to support questionable hardware from third-rate vendors the consumer bought because it was cheaper than the 'big name' brands. Apple users have long known if you can plug it into a Mac, it'll very likely do one of two things - not do a damned thing, or work like it's supposed to. With Windows, it's all very Plug n' Pray™. It may work, it may work with quirks, it may work after jumping through a bunch of hoops, it may not work, it may work today and not tomorrow, it may work and then lock up your computer after a Windows update, etc.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    So what you're saying, is he should choose his hardware specifically and wisely, based on what works best with the software.

It's no secret why OS X enjoys the reputation for being significantly more stable in everyday situations - Apple doesn't have the burden of trying to A) rely on third-parties for driver support, and B) attempt to support questionable hardware from third-rate vendors the consumer bought because it was cheaper than the 'big name' brands. Apple users have long known if you can plug it into a Mac, it'll very likely do one of two things - not do a damned thing, or work like it's supposed to. With Windows, it's all very Plug n' Pray™. It may work, it may work with quirks, it may work after jumping through a bunch of hoops, it may not work, it may work today and not tomorrow, it may work and then lock up your computer after a Windows update, etc.

I haven't had PC issues like that for well over a decade.:rolleyes: The only time people have PC hardware/OS/driver problems is when they try to use extremely old gear that should be replaced anyway or 'maybe' some ultra-cheap junk they should never have bought.:facepalm:

xcrazydx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2014

No.

What he needs to do is track down the culprit and fix it. Which is most likely a simple change of settings. Let's not make this difficult.

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    I have 3 machines running 8.1, a Lenovo Laptop, Lenovo Tablet and a HP Desktop and do not have any issues at all.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    No.

What he needs to do is track down the culprit and fix it. Which is most likely a simple change of settings. Let's not make this difficult.
    ROFL. "Let's not make this difficult." Are you forgetting he's running Windows? :)

Top Bottom