• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • riata2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2010
    Pensacola
    Win 8.1 was forced on my computer after telling MS that I did not want it ever since they started sending update notices. Since then [about 2 to 3 weeks ago} my network connection has sucked. I am in a campground and they provide the internet. Service was good,signal strong then whammy ON, Off, back on, off again . Never a pattern just comes and goes.
    Never had this problem with Win 8, yuck
    Capitol Armory ad

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I hate Microsoft. That being said, I have not had any problems with 8.1, although 8.0 sucked big green...

I recommend never downloading and running "free" software, it causes problems. The only exception is Chrome. Any other software should be run in a virtual machine except games you purchased.

Firefox is a huge 8 lane data highway into your computer from the WWW, from people you don't like. Bing has never given me an answer that I can use, it only tries to sell me things.

Google may be run my the NSA, but they do a good job of not ass raping you like their competitors do.

<stepping down off of soapbox>

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I've been using Firefox for as long as I can remember. I have tried Chrome but there are minor differences that keep me going back to FF. Maybe I'll try it again.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    I have the same type of service where I am. I can't get it at my house though. I had them put the radio (what they call it) on my neighbor's roof and I have a wireless router in a waterproof box that gets the signal to my house. Then I use an extender to get it to where I use it.

Might be some sort of interference or a mismatch. My antenna is on top of a 50 foot mast. My ISP recently upgraded and tuned my equipment. I see a marginal improvement.

I've been using Chrome for three years now. When I move to a rural area requiring a radio connection with my ISP IE became unstable. I tried upgrading to the latest version but it didn't improve. Then I tried FF and it was worse. Then I tried Chrome and all my reliability problems went away. I've been using Chrome ever since.

Last edited:

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    They wouldn't put mine on a mast. I have a 4G hotspot from my job that I use when I am home. It's faster than what I have but My wife needs the regular ISP when I'm gone and Chromecast won't work on a hotspot.

My ISP sucks but this is a different problem.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    I was happy with XP.

ME TOO. My last XP computer (the garage computer) died last month'ish but I figured I would be gettin old timerz if I started boo hooin about new OS so I make the jump to them when they're offered on new machines. I had to look long and hard to find a desktop pc running windows 7 with the hardware specs I wanted for my wife's office computer. Seems like there's no fighting the new software for every day retail and discount retail computers purchased from the stores.

xcrazydx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2014
    ME TOO. My last XP computer (the garage computer) died last month'ish but I figured I would be gettin old timerz if I started boo hooin about new OS so I make the jump to them when they're offered on new machines. I had to look long and hard to find a desktop pc running windows 7 with the hardware specs I wanted for my wife's office computer. Seems like there's no fighting the new software for every day retail and discount retail computers purchased from the stores.
    You can build your own. It's pretty simple and only takes a couple hours.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    It's probably drivers
    I wouldn't doubt that it's driver related, but if a driver works fine on 8.0, but not on 8.1 then I wouldn't really blame the driver :p

There's a chance it's hardware related as well. Those tiny little surface mount capacitors can be unreliable sometimes.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    You can build your own. It's pretty simple and only takes a couple hours.

I used to "only build" back when software was easier to replicate. once the OS is factored in, it's more economical to buy assembled. plus the last machine I assembled, I spent good coin buying top notch mother boards, fast memory, etc because I intended on overclocking it. As soon as I overclocked, it would get buggy. After that, I stuck to store bought and never looked back. If I was doing a custom gaming machine, it'd be different but buying a decent quality pre-assembled machine on sale for great prices is super easy if you're patient.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    See if you can find a copy of inSSIDer. It will show you what your computer sees for wireless. You should own at least one computer with it just to see if your neighbor is stepping on your Wifi,

There are 3 channels for 2.4GHz wifi. Channels 1, 6, and 12. There are some places that everyone picks one channel for an access point and degrade each others communications. Second, you could try another brand of wireless access point.

I recommend the ASUS right now. I replaced my Linksys top of the line units with ASUS and get significantly better range and speed.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    See if you can find a copy of inSSIDer. It will show you what your computer sees for wireless. You should own at least one computer with it just to see if your neighbor is stepping on your Wifi,

There are 3 channels for 2.4GHz wifi. Channels 1, 6, and 12. There are some places that everyone picks one channel for an access point and degrade each others communications. Second, you could try another brand of wireless access point.

I recommend the ASUS right now. I replaced my Linksys top of the line units with ASUS and get significantly better range and speed.

That's not the problem I'm having but I do have an app that kind of does that.

Screenshot_2015-01-31-15-05-14_zps5fdbbd55.png

FBI van #231 in my router outside. FBI van #32 is my extender. The Jetpack is mine also. ATT must be a neighbor's.

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    I bought a Dell Windows 8 laptop and promptly upgraded it to Windows 7. Just be sure you obtain the drivers before you switch or at least have another computer to download them. I prefer OS X but have a couple of diagnostic tools that require windows. In the end I sold the Dell and run Windows via Bootcamp on my Mac.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    That's not the problem I'm having but I do have an app that kind of does that.

Screenshot_2015-01-31-15-05-14_zps5fdbbd55.png

FBI van #231 in my router outside. FBI van #32 is my extender. The Jetpack is mine also. ATT must be a neighbor's.
    3 access points on 12, 1 access point on 1, channel 6 is wide open, no interference...

I like your choice of names... :)

Top Bottom