Capitol Armory ad

Where to go on 4 day weekend? Anybody familiar with Marfa area?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    So, I've decided I'm pissed enough with work that I'm going to call in on Friday and turn it into a 4 day weekend. Any ideas on what to do (away from people; need to de-stress) that's low-cost?

One idea I had was checking out the Marfa Mystery Lights (tourist trap stuff, I know), but on a budget. I guess there's an old Army airfield east of town, does anybody own that, or do you think I could get away with camping on it for a couple days? I've got to admit that poking around the ruins is one of the draws to this idea...

Basically, I just want to throw some essentials in the car and bug out for an extended weekend. I could use it...

Any ideas are welcome!
    DK Firearms

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The coast PA mabye or find a lake

I'm with this guy ^^^. If I were in your shoes, I would just head to the water.

See, I'm odd. I don't like the beach, or lakes (unless I'm in an aluminum boat, drowning worms). Plus, those places aren't going to get me away from people.

I'm a small town kinda guy. I can only take so much of city life. I've always loved escaping into the woods, and later the mountains to get away from it all. I'd like to give the desert a try...

Hah! I got nothing. If I had 4 days I'd be in San Antonio.

I need a break from it. If I want to do something, that's $$$$. I'd like to keep this on a tight budget, since rent is due, and work's been bad lately... What I need is some middle of nowhere.

geocache. pick a location and go.

Don't have a GPS, not terribly interested in geocachehing (it sounds like fun, just not my kind). Just want to relax somewhere secluded.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    I know of thing in this area. When I went to Caprock Canyon, which is smaller than Palo Duro Canyon, it was relatively empty. I wanted to camp there but never found the time.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Sounds like a nice plan M.Sage although I have no recommendations to offer on secluded locations in Texas.

I spent 2 years living secluded in northern Alaska and it definitely was needed at that point in my life. It's nice to take a time-out from this "stay busy" culture.

Good luck finding the info you're after and enjoy your weekend. Stuck working Saturday and Sunday to help out the family but at least I'll have Monday free.

Brought to you courtesy of Tapatalk

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    You can stop by Marfa to try and get a glimpse of the Marfa Lights, on the way down to Big Bend. Spend 2 nights under the stars at Big Bend, and you'll be hooked for life.

I <3 Big Bend.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    go to lake outside of Austin. you camp and fish. low cost. dive if you do thAt.

Ehhh, it's Labor Day weekend. Going to be busy.

Still not a big fan of being on/near the water. I can swim, but don't really like it, so I don't even have the urge to get into diving. :p

Ya want my tom tom?

Hahaha, thanks.

Sounds like a nice plan M.Sage although I have no recommendations to offer on secluded locations in Texas.

I spent 2 years living secluded in northern Alaska and it definitely was needed at that point in my life. It's nice to take a time-out from this "stay busy" culture.

Good luck finding the info you're after and enjoy your weekend. Stuck working Saturday and Sunday to help out the family but at least I'll have Monday free.

Brought to you courtesy of Tapatalk

Oh, man... I'd love to do that.

You can stop by Marfa to try and get a glimpse of the Marfa Lights, on the way down to Big Bend. Spend 2 nights under the stars at Big Bend, and you'll be hooked for life.

I <3 Big Bend.

National parks mean people IMO. If I had to, I'd drive my ass out to the Gila National Wilderness (in NM) and spend a couple days there. Sleeping under the stars is awesome. You can see them all in the Gila, and even watch satellites go by as you're drifting off to sleep.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    National parks mean people IMO. If I had to, I'd drive my ass out to the Gila National Wilderness (in NM) and spend a couple days there. Sleeping under the stars is awesome. You can see them all in the Gila, and even watch satellites go by as you're drifting off to sleep.

Even at its busiest, Big Bend is not busy. Now is not one of their busiest times. You can go the entire visit without seeing another person, especially if you're camping in the backcountry.

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    There's a place north of there called Balmorhea. This is the best swimming pool in Texas. Think Zilker (Barton Springs), but without all the people. It's spring fed, and deep enough to scuba dive in. You have to swim there at least once. They have a camp ground.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    As Sterling offered I think I'm fairly close to you and if you wanna borrow my Garmin GPS just let me know, hasn't been updated in awhile but still gets the job done.

Top Bottom