Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I was in that Cosworth going 115mph.

I wasn't exactly referring to top speed.
    I took mine to the strip in Corpus, first and only time to race.
    I dialed in a time of 19.10 for the quarter, lol.

I won my bracket class, and also the "little eliminator" award. This was me racing the winners of all the brackets from 14.50 and up.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Won me $120.
    Bracket racing is not about speed, it's consistency.
    That's why there were brackets for over 21 seconds.

There was a guy in Temple that ran a Datsun 210 with an automatic that won the season back in 1989 or 1990 on that concept.

It was really hard for guys to let someone get a seven second head start and not bust the bracket. You figured out real quick who was sandbagging it though.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    There was a guy in Temple that ran a Datsun 210 with an automatic that won the season back in 1989 or 1990 on that concept.

It was really hard for guys to let someone get a seven second head start and not bust the bracket. You figured out real quick who was sandbagging it though.

Yep.
    That's what they had to do for me at the end for the little eliminator part, sit and watch me drive away, lol.
    One of my "acquaintances" had some old piece of junk ford with a 6 cylinder. He told me that he put the worst plugs that he could find in it.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Yep.
    That's what they had to do for me at the end for the little eliminator part, sit and watch me drive away, lol.
    One of my "acquaintances" had some old piece of junk ford with a 6 cylinder. He told me that he put the worst plugs that he could find in it.

This guy had a 5” tach with shift light set to 3000. As soon and the light went on he manually went to 2 and then to D. Once in D, he went to 4000 and kept it there.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring

We raced in a Car Club Bash in Sealy like 20 years ago, a monthly friendly 1/8th mile bracket race between the bigger car clubs in the area. Houston F-bodies, Buicks (mostly GN's), HALO (Houston Area Lightning Owners), Westside Mustangs, a group of some older car guys (both cars and racers), Houston Street Racing Assoc, Impala guys, etc. It was a LOT of fun, but I used to piss off people who thought I was sandbagging.

My car was not setup as a drag racer, and the track prep didn't let me fake it even on ET Streets. I'd usually dial in a couple tenths high, like 7.40 when it was legitimately a 7.20 car on motor. I'd keep that .2 as wiggle room for how I did on the launch. I got really good at feeling out where I was on the pass, and more than once I'd be reeling in my opponent a bit too quick and tap the brakes before the line to make sure I didn't break out. Problem is, too many people got to "know" I was sandbagging, so they'd also manipulate their dial-in hoping to run me out the back door into a breakout. I wasn't racing them, I was racing the clock in my head. Still made folks angry though, to the point they tried to enact a "no braking before the line" rule, which failed miserably.

Top Bottom