Mar 21, 2012
    NTX

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Also remember wall penetration is not always a bad thing. I still want enough stopping power after it goes through a hollow cavity, normal interior house wall. In my home there are walls that seperate areas that would provide concealment for an person. Yeah, I have zero issues taking a blind shot through some of those walls if I think it will stop a threat, and I am secure in knowing that no innocents are on the other side.

(Kinda like the Swiss cheese comment from another poster.)

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I use 230 gr Winchester PDX1's in my 1911. Only because I can't find ranger T's online anywhere, or haven't tried, really.

camd64

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    cedar park
    Speer Gold Dots in both my 9mm's. Thinking about trying out the Federal HST 147's for my Ruger once I can find some.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Google is your friend. Shows that while it still is devastating, it's less penetration. Considerably so.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/02/robert-farago/shotgun-penetration-with-various-rounds/

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

As listed in the article, reduced recoil penetration depth was average of 20.5", full-power at 20". Not much difference and both are way over the 12-16" FBI standard and the IWBA 12.5-14" standard.

And absolutely no more damage done by the full power load. That little bit of velocity isn't going to make or break, especially on something the size of a person.

Wait, do you think I mean bird shot!? No, we were talking reduced recoil 00 buck. Use birdshot on birds, not on people. Using it for self defense is stupid.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    As listed in the article, reduced recoil penetration depth was average of 20.5", full-power at 20". Not much difference and both are way over the 12-16" FBI standard and the IWBA 12.5-14" standard.

And absolutely no more damage done by the full power load. That little bit of velocity isn't going to make or break, especially on something the size of a person.

Wait, do you think I mean bird shot!? No, we were talking reduced recoil 00 buck. Use birdshot on birds, not on people. Using it for self defense is stupid.

What article were you reading? They said there was less penetration with the low recoil? I'm not saying low recoil is not devastating just less so. And can cause cycling problems in an auto loading gun.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    What article were you reading? They said there was less penetration with the low recoil? I'm not saying low recoil is not devastating just less so. And can cause cycling problems in an auto loading gun.

This 2¾ inch load of Remington Tactical Managed Recoil 00 buckshot fired from an 18 inch barreled Remington 870 Marine Magnum surprised us with it’s considerable penetration of 20.5 inches.

Up for observation was a 2¾ inch magnum load of federal 00 buckshot fired from an 18 inch barreled Remington 870 Marine Magnum. Considerable penetration on average of 20 inches was noted

And again, what evidence is there of the magnum doing more damage than the reduced recoil. Damage will be identical.

If an autoloader won't cycle reduced recoil buckshot, there's something mechanically wrong with it. Some of the lower-powered target loads? Yeah, I can accept that (from a lower-end factory gun). But even the reduced recoil buckshot has a good amount of power behind it.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    My 870 is always loaded with buckshot. Currently Federal Power-Shok 2-3/4" .00 buck. But...it's not my go-to gun for HD.

It is, however, my go-to gun for coyotes...

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I did. Oops.

I've heard that #4 is a better choice than 00. I have no sources, just what I've heard.

I've seen articles (I remember one from decades ago in American Rifleman) that claim #4 has acceptable stopping power while not being as likely to over-penetrate sheetrock walls. I'd rather have a guaranteed knockdown with .00 buck and hope I'm on-target enough to not have that many stray pellets to worry about...my gun's got a really nice choke to keep this problem in check.

Top Bottom