• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I load up whatever buckshot I have lying around. I believe it has Federal in it now.

I keep Black Cloud 3 1/2" in my SBEII just incase Geese attack me.

Like most my shotguns aren't the first thing I go for. I start with grenades to cover me until I get in my Abrams tank.

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    I lead with 2-3/4" #4 buckshot in a Mossberg 590A1. Two shots of #4 followed by four 00 buck followed by two slugs.

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    I was trying to think of a happy medium for HD ammo that would be a descent stopper, but have minimal over penetration risk. Right now I use a Multi-Defense Buckshot seen below in my 12ga. What do you use/recommend?

View attachment 19188

Considering I live in a 1br apartment in a highly populated area I've decided my 12 guage might not be the most suitable HD weapon. Don't get me wrong, it'll still cut an uninvited POS damn near in half, but I'm a little worried about collateral damage. Specifically over penetration posing a danger to neighbors, or just damage to my apt that I can not afford the repairs for.

If ever I deal with a home invasion in this apartment it'll be shots taken at probably 6 feet or less. I have my Ruger GP100 as the "designated" (meaning it never leaves its spot near my bed, except for range trips) HD weapon (with 125 grain Hornady Critical Defense 357 magnum HP's, I can't see more than one good shot being necessary).

But in all honesty, if I dealt with a home invasion at night, my Glock 26 would likely be the first thing I grabbed (since it goes right next to but in front of the GP100), the GP100 is just there for when I am not here (the wife does not CCW nor have her own guns, her choice but I wanted something simple, straightforward, easy to use and deadly for her to have at her disposal if ever she needs to defend herself, God forbid). In which case the sorry bastard who ignored the warning of my door being closed and locked would get a not so friendly introduction to Mr. Speer Gold dot, all 147 grains of him, and probably about 4 or 5 of his brothers and sisters.

Last edited:

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Shot gun has the least chance for that. Don't take my word for it, go to the range and shoot drywall sheets (that's what it's going through in a home). Shoot it with a pistol, then rifle, then shotty. It's all going to go through, but how far is going to be the question. Put some water jugs behind it, you'll be surprised if you think pistol or rifle (yes .223 included) are less. Of course ammo type makes a difference, don't use slugs. Use #4 if you don't want 00 Buck.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Which accomplishes what? Nothing except more recoil.

More forgiving on accuracy? You're talking approximately fist-sized patterns at typical HD distances, if that.

Less recoil means less power, that's simple. I prefer to not take chance when mine or loved one's lives are at risk.

Fist size is better than quarter. While I know we all like to think we are bad ass warriors, and some may be, the the truth of the matter is that in an high stress situation you ARE NOT going to be calm or relaxed enough to place accurate shots. Now if you think you can, than fine, but I'm not delusional. While the debate of what is the better form for self defense is just that, debatable, it would more so come down to individual preferences and more importantly, capabilities. I may lay down the law with a fully loaded shotty, where a smaller framed lad or a woman may need that pistol to be their go to.

We need to consider that ours may be different and there rarely is a one size fits all when it comes to defending your life.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Shot gun has the least chance for that. Don't take my word for it, go to the range and shoot drywall sheets (that's what it's going through in a home). Shoot it with a pistol, then rifle, then shotty. It's all going to go through, but how far is going to be the question. Put some water jugs behind it, you'll be surprised if you think pistol or rifle (yes .223 included) are less. Of course ammo type makes a difference, don't use slugs. Use #4 if you don't want 00 Buck.

This is wrong.

Buckshot is much more dangerous after passing through Sheetrock than most 5.56/.223 rounds and a lot of handgun ammunition.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    This quote from the last page made me lol.

"4. I "racked" the shotgun several times during the tests, and no bystanders lost control of their bowels.
    Conclusion: Racking a shotgun will not make the bad guy faint."

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    This is wrong.

Buckshot is much more dangerous after passing through Sheetrock than most 5.56/.223 rounds and a lot of handgun ammunition.

I suggest you try it out. I was thinking the same thing, but was surprised. I was not referring to buck shot and even then we were shocked with that. The plated buck zipped through everything and the jugs, and the plain lead buck did go through about the same as 55 gr HP .223. #4 hit through about the same but with less pellets. The only one we saw that was definite and noticeably less was some varmint rounds actually as they barely made it through the first two walls without breaking apart. #4 barely made it through all the wall board to the jugs (we used 4 fireboards and stuffed some fiberglass in a few shots). Try it out for yourself.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Anything that will take down a BG will penetrate a wall. I'm pretty sure we all agree on that.

The thing to decide is how many projectiles do you want going through that wall with each shot.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Anything that will take down a BG will penetrate a wall. I'm pretty sure we all agree on that.

The thing to decide is how many projectiles do you want going through that wall with each shot.

Now that's valid.

My point and worry is that people think that their AR won't penetrate and I would have agreed until I did it myself. The only round we deemed reliable "less lethal" was some varmint rounds, I think they were vmax. We figured unless someone was standing against the wall the would be slowed down enough to not hit vitals.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Now that's valid.

My point and worry is that people think that their AR won't penetrate and I would have agreed until I did it myself. The only round we deemed reliable "less lethal" was some varmint rounds, I think they were vmax. We figured unless someone was standing against the wall the would be slowed down enough to not hit vitals.

And that gets back to the problem of less than adequate penetration.

I live in the country and have a brick house so I'm not worried about rounds going outside.

My biggest concern is my kids rooms and there is no type of ammo I would fire in that direction. My biggest fear is my daughter stepping out in the hall way but me and Ladygun are making plans to connect the rooms through the back of the closets so she cod secure the kids without exposing herself to danger.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Less recoil means less power, that's simple. I prefer to not take chance when mine or loved one's lives are at risk.

Fist size is better than quarter. While I know we all like to think we are bad ass warriors, and some may be, the the truth of the matter is that in an high stress situation you ARE NOT going to be calm or relaxed enough to place accurate shots. Now if you think you can, than fine, but I'm not delusional. While the debate of what is the better form for self defense is just that, debatable, it would more so come down to individual preferences and more importantly, capabilities. I may lay down the law with a fully loaded shotty, where a smaller framed lad or a woman may need that pistol to be their go to.

We need to consider that ours may be different and there rarely is a one size fits all when it comes to defending your life.

Power is not a direct wounding factor. It is where you get velocity and/or penetration, but more power does not equal more wounding in any way, shape or form.

Quarter-size? Who says I'm only going to fire one shot? The way I've trained, any poor bastard that comes after me is getting 3-5, minimum (I shoot until he stops). I shoot about fist-size groups at speed. One carbine match I shot, I scored 8 hits on a moving target because it didn't stop when I shot it, LOL.

And more than a few things that might not stop a bad guy will go through walls. I can punch through a sheet of drywall without even trying. Anybody who thinks something that can barely penetrate drywall will stop an attacker needs to put the pipe down.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Somebody else said it first but, if I'm shooting at someone in my house, once all the players I care for are in the room with me I'm turning the rest of the house into Swiss cheese.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Power is not a direct wounding factor. It is where you get velocity and/or penetration, but more power does not equal more wounding in any way, shape or form.

Quarter-size? Who says I'm only going to fire one shot? The way I've trained, any poor bastard that comes after me is getting 3-5, minimum (I shoot until he stops). I shoot about fist-size groups at speed. One carbine match I shot, I scored 8 hits on a moving target because it didn't stop when I shot it, LOL.

And more than a few things that might not stop a bad guy will go through walls. I can punch through a sheet of drywall without even trying. Anybody who thinks something that can barely penetrate drywall will stop an attacker needs to put the pipe down.

Low recoil shot does have less penetration. There are tests out there showing so (ballistic gel anyway). You are right mostly, but a better example would be using the same exact bullet, but reducing the amount of powder, it will reduce the capabilities of the round.

And as I said you may think you're a bad ass or may actually be one, but the majority will not be and won't be able to group shots like that. It's just a fact of human nature under stress. Even those trained (LEO, military, etc.) don't always perform the same as they do in a controlled environment and often don't.

dreyes89

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    Pasadena
    I have winchester 1 oz slugs that i have ready in my shotgun, and winchester and royal buck buck shots as well, on my glock i have federal .40 cal. hollow points...

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Low recoil shot does have less penetration. There are tests out there showing so (ballistic gel anyway). You are right mostly, but a better example would be using the same exact bullet, but reducing the amount of powder, it will reduce the capabilities of the round.

And as I said you may think you're a bad ass or may actually be one, but the majority will not be and won't be able to group shots like that. It's just a fact of human nature under stress. Even those trained (LEO, military, etc.) don't always perform the same as they do in a controlled environment and often don't.

One: I've never seen a test that showed under-spec penetration from low recoil shot.

Two: Most tests I've seen show increased penetration in gel with low recoil because there's less pellet deformation.

Top Bottom