Capitol Armory ad

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I've also done it with primers that I've installed backwards. Like they said, just go slow. You don't have to be super cautious, just don't want to ram it as hard as you can either. I go about half of normal speed.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
    Target Sports

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Since a large rifle primer is larger than a large pistol wouldn't the fact that they seated a bit high be the first clue?

Also, a quick perusal of your loading manual would have prevented this problem.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    My problem was when I was looking up load data. That's when I found it. As for as seating depth, both primers sat right where they're supposed to, just under flush.

I did use different brands though. For large rifle mag I used CCI. For large pistol mag I used Winchester.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Yep. Looked fine. I checked the book and could have sworn it said LR.

Dealt with another problem tonight. I bought 100 once fired Hornady brass for my 6.5 Creedmoor. They were sold as fully processed, so I checked one in my chamber and it went right in.

So I primed all 100 cases. Loaded up 50 rounds for break in. During shooting at least half of them would not chamber. There was a visible mark on the case a little higher from the base.

Tonight I pulled the bullets and powder from the loaded rounds. I just finished chamber checking all the empty cases. Almost half were not properly sized. So per Dee's technique I'm soaking them in water overnight so I can resize them.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Since a large rifle primer is larger than a large pistol wouldn't the fact that they seated a bit high be the first clue?

Also, a quick perusal of your loading manual would have prevented this problem.
    I'd like to see the data that backs this up.
    I'm trying to learn. I've possibly been mistaken for a long time.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I wouldn't worry about the primers. Seriously deprimed 400 brass I picked up in a lot because the buyer didn't want to pay the extra shipping for the primed brass. I've deprimed about 600-700 live primers and probably 20-30 backwards live primers and never had an issue.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I'd like to see the data that backs this up.
    I'm trying to learn. I've possibly been mistaken for a long time.
    Ok, I just did some measuring.
    CCI LP are .121" tall
    WIN LR are .127 tall

I reckon .005" could be discernable by feel or naked eye.

I stand corrected and, I've learned something.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    calhoonprimers02.png

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I've deprimed some just soaked in water overnight. Obviously they are useless after.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Yep. Looked fine. I checked the book and could have sworn it said LR.

Dealt with another problem tonight. I bought 100 once fired Hornady brass for my 6.5 Creedmoor. They were sold as fully processed, so I checked one in my chamber and it went right in.

So I primed all 100 cases. Loaded up 50 rounds for break in. During shooting at least half of them would not chamber. There was a visible mark on the case a little higher from the base.

Tonight I pulled the bullets and powder from the loaded rounds. I just finished chamber checking all the empty cases. Almost half were not properly sized. So per Dee's technique I'm soaking them in water overnight so I can resize them.
    So you guys know, priming compound is wet (with water) when they make the primers. They aren't live until the compound dries.

Those wet primers will be fine when they dry.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    At no more than they cost I'm not overly concerned with trying to save them. At $00.025 a piece it's not worth the risk of the headaches.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    At no more than they cost I'm not overly concerned with trying to save them. At $00.025 a piece it's not worth the risk of the headaches.

I agree.

My main reason for mentioning it is if you throw them in the trash they will dry and become live again. Water doesn't render them dead forever.

Rumor is they aren't really live until you seat them and the anvil is pushed into the cup. I have no idea how it works if they have been seated and punched out.

Not really an issue either way I suppose.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I sorted brass from my last two range trips the other day. I ended up with more 45 ACP brass than we shot. I think we picked up a whole box of SIG 45 brass somebody just left there.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Finally shot my 10 in 40 cases!

It went well and I encourage y'all to try it. I'm not posting the loads on the forum but may PM them, unless a mod tells me it's okay to post.

No pressure sign and accurate.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Finally shot my 10 in 40 cases!

It went well and I encourage y'all to try it. I'm not posting the loads on the forum but may PM them, unless a mod tells me it's okay to post.

No pressure sign and accurate.
    If it's a published load I don't think there would be any issue.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Finally loaded up some 458 SOCOM rounds. Need to get it back to the range and sight in my new scope.

Top Bottom