• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    The Wheel of Time series are great books, and Brandon Sanderson is doing a good job picking up where Robert Jordan left off. The other books by Brandon are great as well, especially the Mistborn series.
    Currently reading The Hot Gate by John Ringo, the third book of his Live Free or Die series. I don't see how Ringo can write so fast, new books by him come out as fast as I can read em it seems.
    ARJ Defense ad

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    I'm in a good little pause between books by Stephen Hunter. Love these books. I happened to run across them one day at Barnes and noticed one of the books was the basis of the movie "Shooter". And man oh man, do I love that movie! So I've read about 4 of his books now (funny, I didn't read the book the movie was based on - guess I feel like I've already been through it because I've seen the movie).

The last author that really had me trapped was Dan Brown. It started with The Da Vinci code and then I tore through the rest of his books. Finished them, read one book by another author and stopped reading until the Lost Symbol came out. Then, I didn't read again until I got into Hunter's books.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Green Eggs n Ham. Grand Daughter loves the book when I read it with her. And if it makes the princess smile... it is well worth my time to read it to her.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    C. J. Chivers’ The Gun

This superior history of the AK family of assault rifles begins with the invention of the machine gun by Hiram Maxim and traces automatic weapons through WWII. In 1947, Russian army officer Mikhail Kalashnikov adapted a German design of automatic infantry rifle to become the AK (for Avtomat Kalashnikov). It first attracted world attention in Vietnam by proving superior to the American M-16. Since then it has developed several relatives and been produced in many other countries, the total running into the hundreds of millions. It has armed regular armies, irregular armies, police forces, terrorists, common criminals, and ordinary householders in the majority of the world’s countries, creating a proliferation problem that has to date killed far more people than the nuclear kind. The author is a former U.S. Marine officer and prizewinning journalist who has written incisively and researched exhaustively. It lends force to his arguments that some of his informants have been assassinated with assault rifles for talking. --Roland Green

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Started the wheel of time series back when only two were published. circa 1991. Stopped at book nine (2000) cause I wanted to wait till he decided to finish things, he wrote three more then he died (2007) leaving the outline of the last two books for another author to complete (TBD)

It's been a long road with those books. They're great but the ending better be worth the 20 year journey. Man, you were 9 years old when I started those books. I figure I've read the first four books 5 or 6 times to refresh my understanding of the series when a new book came out.

10 years old... I got a G.I. Joe Serpentor action figure at my birthday party that year. Man, that was dope.

GIJoe_1986_Veh_Box_AirChariotMISBC8.jpg

Actually the new author has already done two or three books in Robert Jordan's absence. Many fans of the series really enjoy his work, too. He brought the series out of the complete plot stagnation slump that it was in at the time of Robert Jordan's untimely death. I think I'm on book 9 now, but I've been focusing on some more nutrition books before getting back into my fiction.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I've been trying to finish up One Nation, Under Surveillance by Kenneth W. Royce, but damn it if my professors don't insist I read their textbooks instead.

drummingchevy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    Houston
    Just finished The Courage to be Free by Charlton Heston. Great stuff, and quite thought-provoking. I am definitely looking at myself differently now. If you aren't happy with the modern culture and the drift from traditional values, read it.

Johnonthebass

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    Plano
    Bumpasaurus

Currently reading The Campire Earth series by E.E. knight and I'm enjoying it.

Also I Highly recommend the Dresden Files series to everyone.

And this thread makes me wanna finally catch up on the Wheel of Time. Stopped at book 8

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    Texascop2 mentioned The Gift of Fear in another thread and it got me to wondering what everyone out there is reading.
    Gavin De Becker! that is an amazing read.. I am reading it again right now.. I am going to have both my teens read it when I am done this round..

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    Someone asked this a few months ago, and my answer is the same... more Cormac Mccarthy. I've been picking at it slowly, but I'm pacing myself, so I don't run out of it too soon.

Ole' Cormac got me into the need for high capacity and an s#$t load of ammo (The Road and No Country for Old Men - read them, not watched them).

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    The 5000 Year Leap by Cleon Skousan. It is basically a Principals of Freedom 101 book.

If you really want a simple and excellent analysis of our founding fathers and the reasons behind how the constitution was written I recommend it. It is one of those books that all americans should be taught prior to graduating high school.

It brings into clarity many of the issues surrounding our current political situation and isn't a right/left leaning book, but a tyranny/anarchy type of thought line.

Top Bottom