• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    We need some land to shoot on. Everyone I know who had land(buddy had close to 400 acres) sold it. Im not a fan of ranges(other than Hicksville). Need somewhere to set up some shoot on the run targets and a car or two. I know its been said multiple times but its true. Maybe oneday Ill get lucky and land a job where I can buy some land to live/shoot on. Everyone would be invited(but not jakashh)
    ARJ Defense ad

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    This is a dream of mine.
    Would be really cool to be able to make it come alive.

Tapatalk sent it.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    If you lived closer, I'd invite you out to mine when she's done. It's in the process of being built now. My neighbor owns a construction company and is working on it when he can sqeeze it in between his other jobs. Next step is to get my RV/Bus or a small building (ie 12x30) out there.

100 yards
    12' high berm, 30' long
    Small covered shooting area at 100 yards

srstaff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Frisco
    This may have been asked and answered before, but how much land is realistically needed to be able to have a run n gun with as much as a 500yd range on it without having to worry too much about elevations and berms and such? I ask because I have no concept of land size beyond just a couple of acres.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    one acre is 208.71feetx208.71feet so 7 acres end to end is 500 yards. So go from there

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    Just make sure it is more then 10 acres, not 10 acres or less. If you can make sure it is out of reach of any nearby city limits and not in a subdivision. That way you will not end up with problems later, shooting or hunting. I am not saying that less then this you can't legally but this puts you where not city/county can touch you according to the state.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I'm in the process of seeing if the landowner of the ranch that we lease will let me build a berm and stuff out there. Its a couple hundred acres so we'd have plenty of room. If not then perhaps I'll see about putting in a berm out at the back end of one of our pieces of property. I don't think its 500 yards (with room for safety) but could probably pull off 300 easy enough. I'm still looking into the logistics of it all but hoping to have something in by the fall.

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    Jared that would be great. I could live with any place that we can shoot at with out all of the public rules. At this point beggers can't be choosey. I have been looking down south on hwy 59. I just need to find out how far south I need to go to make it ok. I would be happy to move there if needed.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    In a few years i should have my debts paid off and plan on buying a couple hundred acres. I do plan on having a range on one side of the property and if its laid out well i plan on going out to 1000 yards.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    We need some land to shoot on.

How much can we raise and how far are we willing to drive? In your neck of the woods (well, somewhat north of you), there's a failed subdivision for sale that would work, allowing 500 yards for shooting straight north, over 1000 yards if you were willing to shoot northwest.

See: 60 Ac Fm 980, Huntsville, TX 77340 - HAR.com

I found it by looking for tracts over 50 acres for less than $200K. As discussed in another thread on this board, 10 acres is enough to shoot on but 50 acres has advantages in case the property is ever annexed by a municipality.

Play with the parameters and it's possible to find lots of other tracts. For example, if we were willing to pay $300K for 10 acres, tracts are available all over the place as close as Manvel, Katy, and a bit north of Tomball. None of those, however, would be suitable for hosing ammo downrange without much discipline.

These days, there's not enough contiguous land for sale, cheap, to make a serious stab at a new long-range shooting facility anywhere close to a major population center. If someone wants to shoot long range, they have little choice but to join Bayou Rifles, Greenwood, or another established club. I'd give an arm (well, at least a couple of fingers) to join the Tomball Gun Club, but their waiting list is, what, 5+ years? If someone wants to do fun shoots, with cars and Tannerite and no rules but "Stay Safe and Don't Be An Idiot", then there's little choice but to go somewhere roughly halfway between major population centers (e.g., Gatesville) or make a serious attempt to drive at least 2 (probably more like 3 or 4) hours as deep into nowhere as possible. For a casual gathering of shooters, that's way more commitment than most are willing to make.

It is possible to start up a new and serious shooting facility, though. Rifles Only is great, I hear, but they're all the way down in Kingsville. That's how far away from civilization you have to get to be able to put in something large and elaborate.

As much as I hate to say it, ASC is about the best alternative I can see for general-purpose gatherings if you factor in distance from Houston.

If we really want a place to shoot anything that's more centrally located, it would have to be indoors, expensive and limited, for any number of definitions of "limited".

Ben, willing and anxious to help someone prove me wrong.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    How much can we raise and how far are we willing to drive? In your neck of the woods (well, somewhat north of you), there's a failed subdivision for sale that would work, allowing 500 yards for shooting straight north, over 1000 yards if you were willing to shoot northwest.

See: 60 Ac Fm 980, Huntsville, TX 77340 - HAR.com

I found it by looking for tracts over 50 acres for less than $200K. As discussed in another thread on this board, 10 acres is enough to shoot on but 50 acres has advantages in case the property is ever annexed by a municipality.

Play with the parameters and it's possible to find lots of other tracts. For example, if we were willing to pay $300K for 10 acres, tracts are available all over the place as close as Manvel, Katy, and a bit north of Tomball. None of those, however, would be suitable for hosing ammo downrange without much discipline.

These days, there's not enough contiguous land for sale, cheap, to make a serious stab at a new long-range shooting facility anywhere close to a major population center. If someone wants to shoot long range, they have little choice but to join Bayou Rifles, Greenwood, or another established club. I'd give an arm (well, at least a couple of fingers) to join the Tomball Gun Club, but their waiting list is, what, 5+ years? If someone wants to do fun shoots, with cars and Tannerite and no rules but "Stay Safe and Don't Be An Idiot", then there's little choice but to go somewhere roughly halfway between major population centers (e.g., Gatesville) or make a serious attempt to drive at least 2 (probably more like 3 or 4) hours as deep into nowhere as possible. For a casual gathering of shooters, that's way more commitment than most are willing to make.

It is possible to start up a new and serious shooting facility, though. Rifles Only is great, I hear, but they're all the way down in Kingsville. That's how far away from civilization you have to get to be able to put in something large and elaborate.

As much as I hate to say it, ASC is about the best alternative I can see for general-purpose gatherings if you factor in distance from Houston.

If we really want a place to shoot anything that's more centrally located, it would have to be indoors, expensive and limited, for any number of definitions of "limited".

Ben, willing and anxious to help someone prove me wrong.

I love it Ben... Getting serious. I have a few thoughts on the logistics to make this work, but I need to run it by a few members on here that are waaaay more well-read on the subject than myself. But locating the piece of property to purchase is definitely the first step in making this work. I was feeling that ASC was the best option, but after I post some video in a few minutes I think we will all have to reconsider. Have you ever looked up at ASC? There are NDs all over the tin roof. More bullet holes than I can count. Some are pretty obvious broken sears putting a gun into full auto, person lifting gun up, and putting 6-10 rounds in the roof. I want off public ranges ASAP. Either we sit around here and type on our keyboards and jerk off, or we make it happen.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I love it Ben... Getting serious. I have a few thoughts on the logistics to make this work, but I need to run it by a few members on here that are waaaay more well-read on the subject than myself. But locating the piece of property to purchase is definitely the first step in making this work. I was feeling that ASC was the best option, but after I post some video in a few minutes I think we will all have to reconsider. Have you ever looked up at ASC? There are NDs all over the tin roof. More bullet holes than I can count. Some are pretty obvious broken sears putting a gun into full auto, person lifting gun up, and putting 6-10 rounds in the roof. I want off public ranges ASAP. Either we sit around here and type on our keyboards and jerk off, or we make it happen.

It will be awhile before I can contribute anything significant financially to obtaining and building a group range but I should have any tools and equipment (power tools, generators, tractor, forklift, welding machines, etc) we might need to build it and would be willing to put in the time to help with construction. It really would be awesome if we could put something together.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Has anyone looked into land south of Houston?
    Yes. When I was researching this earlier, I found a number of tracts down around Angleton. I didn't figure anyone would want to drive that far. It's late and I'm about to hit the sack but I'll post some MLS listings tomorrow.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    I think we need to go North. More of us live up here too! :) MOre options for land within a reasonable drive. Chuck and I talked about this once, if it's more than 2 hours one way, then it makes day trips way too hard. We need somewhere we can day trip and make it home by night, if need be.

Top Bottom