• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    There is a lot of fail going on in this thread by the folks implying there is a legal obligation by a Range to verify lawful NFA ownership. There is an easy way to resolve this debate, show me one example of ANY range owner being prosecuted for allowing an unregistered NFA item onto their range.

In fact, what's stupidly ironic is that by checking the NFA paperwork it makes me wonder if they don't in fact open themselves up to civil liability down the road if something ever did happen since they give the false impression to range attendees that they check for unlicensed NFA items. I'd say the same about criminal liability except I still can't even dream of a silly hypothetical where a range owner would face any criminal charges in this situation.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    A range and it's employees would have no liability problems if an attendee had an unregistered NFA item than walmart would be if two customers made a drug deal inside the store, it would be the person who is breaking the law who would face problems if caught not the establishment.

txhk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Houston
    A range and it's employees would have no liability problems if an attendee had an unregistered NFA item than walmart would be if two customers made a drug deal inside the store, it would be the person who is breaking the law who would face problems if caught not the establishment.

That was my thought. It was an odd request, I obliged, finished up and moved on.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    I don't want to act like I'd never show my NFA paperwork... I suspect I'm going to be asked from time to time. But never miss an opportunity to let them know what they are asking for is offensive, unnecessary, and they have no legal obligation whatsoever to enforce it so they mind as well check every gun that walks thru the door if they're honestly that paranoid about violations of firearms law.

Dredge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Spring
    I don't want to act like I'd never show my NFA paperwork... I suspect I'm going to be asked from time to time. But never miss an opportunity to let them know what they are asking for is offensive, unnecessary, and they have no legal obligation whatsoever to enforce it so they mind as well check every gun that walks thru the door if they're honestly that paranoid about violations of firearms law.

+1

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin

If someone asks who is not a LEO tell him to stuff it.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    If someone asks who is not a LEO tell him to stuff it.

That's my thoughts. But if I've already lugged all my gear, etc. up there and paid, then I might see a situation where I'd show my paperwork and politely let them know I'll never come back again if this is going to be their practice. If the RO is carrying a gun, I will ask him to see his serial numbers and drivers license.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Not at all. Having discussed this thread over breakfast with the President and the VP of SAGC this very morning, before we went out to the Rocky Mountain 3-Gun Day One, the point I was ever so poorly trying to make is that people can make a difference. All it took for SAGC to remove the "no full auto, no cans" on the range rules was a willingness to run for office, and the ability to put up with the Fuddites while rebuilding a crumbling infrastructure to a 500 yard range with enough bays to host the USPSA Nationals and national-level 3-Gun championships.

Along the way (of buying dozers, belly scrapers, dump trucks, and assorted goodies from the very streets of Tonka-toy heaven), we killed the Fudd rules of "no," but with the caveat that we would not allow illegal activity (pertaining to NFA items) on the range, as we already do not allow meth to be cooked or goats to be cornholed (naaaaay means naaaaaay). Is the range a law enforcement agency? No, of course not. But as both private citizens and as officials of SAGC, if we suspect a crime may be occurring we can and will call the local Johnny Law. Who, since they also use the range, and use us as trainers, are very interested in keeping the range open.

Make any money out of SAGC as a ClassIII by...not allowing illegal NFA items to be used on a private club? Wow, good one...next someone will ask for my last ten years of tax returns because "someone" heard that I didn't pay taxes while running Bain Capital...oh, wait, same thought different verse.

If you want to build your own NFA stuff, get a license. Sixty five bucks every three years for a FFL 07, plus $500 per year for the SOT. Then you can build whatever you want...legally...but you still have to carry paper on each and every item!

If you want to shoot anything, legal or not, build your own range.

My bottom line, here at the bottom (note: No reference to goats, bottoms or otherwise): The NFA rules suck. They are horrible rules, in my opinion directly in violation of the US Constitution, and should be thrown out. We can't do that from here at the bottom of the suck-pool. We have to drain the pool, elect Americans to office and not Euro-trash (or adopted Indonesian-trash) to run the country long enough to return it to what it was intended (but rarely actually was). However, if we don't want to play "hide the salami" with Big Bubba for ten long at Club Fed, we have to play by the rules. Such as they are, not as we wish them to be.

Alex

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I know you know better. Good grief.

In either case, ignorance causes someone to step outside the bounds of propriety and intrude into someone else's private business. In either case there is a mistaken belief that the action will help the person by avoiding or minimizing some sort of liability.

Top Bottom