Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Agreed.

Stop catching everyone when the trip and fall and they might start tying their shoes.
    Guns International

Chirpy

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Hutto, TX (kinda)
    And to really spice things up, while APD was policing jiggers during the day, that night there were two murders on 6th street. Oops.

For some reason, where APD needs to be fascist they won't. 6th at 2am is something of a bad area these days. More Detroit than Dallas.

Sent from magic cutting board

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Again I have to wonder how APD decides on how to enforce jaywalking. Driving through downtown the other day there was a squad car next to me and the usual contingency of officers at the homeless shelter. We both had to brake for homeless people walking out from the middle of the street and were rewarded with what I call "the angry homeless shuffle" as they slowed their pace and glared at us while they crossed.

The officers on foot at ARCH and the officer in the car next to me seemed to have a "zero fucks given" attitude.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    And to really spice things up, while APD was policing jiggers during the day, that night there were two murders on 6th street. Oops.

For some reason, where APD needs to be fascist they won't. 6th at 2am is something of a bad area these days. More Detroit than Dallas.

Sent from magic cutting board

And if they put a cop on every street corner to stop it from happening everyone would scream "police state".

Cops can't be everywhere, all the time. That's why we CC.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Again I have to wonder how APD decides on how to enforce jaywalking. Driving through downtown the other day there was a squad car next to me and the usual contingency of officers at the homeless shelter. We both had to brake for homeless people walking out from the middle of the street and were rewarded with what I call "the angry homeless shuffle" as they slowed their pace and glared at us while they crossed.

The officers on foot at ARCH and the officer in the car next to me seemed to have a "zero $#@!s given" attitude.

The one I have had to pass by has signs giving pedestrians the right of way when lights are flashing. Pain in the ass area to drive through.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I think jay walking laws are ridiculous. Of course, I also think that if you run out in front of a car and get nailed then your estate should pay for the car repairs before paying for your funeral.

Maybe we should stop protecting people from themselves and some of these liberal ideas and laws would start to self correct.

Good luck collecting any damages from the jaywalkers I've seen in SA. They are usually dragging a few kids behind them to boot.

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    While I admit it is a weird thing to say I don't see it rising to the level of needing to assault him over it. It's something the awkward guy at work would say when told of a minor situation that happened over the weekend. "well at least it wasn't .......". For something like that you think he should be beaten up? Why would that be personally offensive to one of "your" women? Honestly I don't get the outrage.

Because rape/sexual assault is a personal thing that I've had to deal with in someone close to me and if you haven't been there to help pick up the pieces of their life then of course you wouldn't understand. If you haven't had to deal with it yourself, then no, you won't understand the outrage.

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Because rape/sexual assault is a personal thing that I've had to deal with in someone close to me and if you haven't been there to help pick up the pieces of their life then of course you wouldn't understand. If you haven't had to deal with it yourself, then no, you won't understand the outrage.
    I have and I still don't and you sure don't seem to want to explain. You don't have to but I'm going to bet your reaction has more to do with wanting to be outraged than anything else.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    You are either not very intelligent, or unwilling to accept a reasonable response.

There was a reasonable response? Maybe you quoted the wrong statement before....

This whole situation (including the APD PR headache it has become) could have been avoided with a little diplomacy and Verbal Judo on the arresting officer's part. Instead, the officers decided to imitate their boss and get their authority respected. And Acevedo's attitude & response toward the press was reprehensible. He should be glad it was just a tough press conference instead of a (insert crude, undiplomatic term for sexual assault occurring in a men's penal institution)....

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    There was a reasonable response? Maybe you quoted the wrong statement before....

This whole situation (including the APD PR headache it has become) could have been avoided with a little diplomacy and Verbal Judo on the arresting officer's part. Instead, the officers decided to imitate their boss and get their authority respected. And Acevedo's attitude & response toward the press was reprehensible. He should be glad it was just a tough press conference instead of a (insert crude, undiplomatic term for sexual assault occurring in a men's penal institution)....

Read chirpy's post regarding murders that night, then read my response. Read them SLOWLY and see if anything clicks for you.

I don't think anyone else took that to mean I was referencing jaywalkers when I spoke of a cop on every corner.

Continuing to pretend you can't understand it would only cast a negatives light on your intelligence.

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    This whole situation (including the APD PR headache it has become) could have been avoided with a little diplomacy and Verbal Judo on the arresting officer's part.

That isn't a given. I was was a door guy at a bar and bragging about how I could almost always talk a guy out instead of fighting. The next guy I dealt with ended in a big brawl. I didn't want it and tried everything I could to avoid it but sometime you are not the one who decides. You might be right that the office could've been nicer but that doesn't equate to his actions being wrong either.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Big difference: unlike you, I didn't see the officers making efforts to deescalate the situation. You probably would have handled it better than these officers did.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Read chirpy's post regarding murders that night, then read my response. Read them SLOWLY and see if anything clicks for you.

I don't think anyone else took that to mean I was referencing jaywalkers when I spoke of a cop on every corner.

Continuing to pretend you can't understand it would only cast a negatives light on your intelligence.

To quote one of my favorite Harold Ramis movies: "Lighten up, Francis."

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW

The officers on foot at ARCH and the officer in the car next to me seemed to have a "zero fucks given" attitude.

racist!

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Big difference: unlike you, I didn't see the officers making efforts to deescalate the situation. You probably would have handled it better than these officers did.

In the video I saw the woman was already under arrest and handcuffed. It did not show the arrest or the events leading up to the arrest so we don't know what the officers did or did not do to deescalate the situation. I imagine that if she had been polite and cooperative she would most likely have been given a warning like most of the other people who were stopped for the same thing. Instead she refused to give the officers her name so they could put it on the summons so the were left with no choice but to arrest her. Notice that of all the people they stopped that day (remember most were given warnings) she was the only one arrested. All because she was a snot and wouldn't tell the officers her name to put on the citation whether it was a written warning of summons.

Top Bottom