• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    Austin ... the only place in Texas I have consistently experienced idiots in the left lane deliberately starting late, then going as slow as possible when the light changes so those behind them will have to wait until the next light.
    Worked there quite a bit the past few years and see it too often to be a coincidence.

Nobody pays attention in Austin, and that was BEFORE cell phones. They don't care if anyone else can make it through the light, I've seen plenty of people stare at a green light like it was some sign from God before finally applying the accelerator and dawdling through a short green while drivers behind them go nuts.

People complain about the lack of turn signals in Dallas but after spending most of my life in Austin and learning how to drive there, Dallas is practically communicative. I've never visited or lived in a place where turn signals were so completely optional as Austin.

I have literally seen someone in the left hand lane put on their left blinker and as I'm wondering what the hell they are doing they cut across all lanes of traffic to exit on the right.

If I thought it was just an odd observation turns out I wasn't just unlucky. I did my internship at the Austin Police Traffic Investigations Unit and buffoonery was the order of the day. Man, some of the calls we used to get to. The State gave them a license to operate a motor vehicle?

There are plenty of idiots in Dallas, but I actually like how they are aggressive on the road. Everyone is in a hurry (except for my suburb, which is apparently used by people too cheap to retire to Florida) but, unlike Houston, still have some regard for human life.

I don't miss traffic in Austin at all, even with all the new roads making it much easier to get around when I visit.

The only thing I missed from Austin traffic, and this may have changed, is that if you got on the road before 7am traffic was light as hell. Austin was not home to a lot of early risers. I remember the first time I hit the road in Dallas at 6:30am and was wondering why the hell was everyone on the road already!
    Guns International

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    The only thing I missed from Austin traffic, and this may have changed, is that if you got on the road before 7am traffic was light as hell. Austin was not home to a lot of early risers. I remember the first time I hit the road in Dallas at 6:30am and was wondering why the hell was everyone on the road already!
    Well it's crept up a little earlier. You have to get going before 6:30 if you want to beat the bulk of the traffic. I typically just work from home until 10am to avoid the traffic and then go in. Also try to GTFO before 4pm to avoid it the other way.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Shortly after the bag ban, I asked how much the produce plastic bags cost. I was told that they did not cost anything. I took about a half a roll.

Stupidest fucking ordinance ever. The only plastic bag it bans is the checkout bag. Fucking retarded.

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    At least when Save-A-Lot says they sell bags, its as part of their business model, not some stupid ordinance/law. I'll never understand the logic behind shit like bag bans.

GLI45

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    What really annoys me about Austin (and I grew up there so I know the city) is that everyone acts like they are some enlightened beacon inside the darkness of Texas ignorance while ignoring the fact they have the freedom to be so weird because the rest of the state prefers to keep the government out of our business.

^^^This is so true. Two years ago my wife and I moved to the "Austin area" to be closer to our oldest son, daughter-in-law and our 2 baby granddaughters. My job only requires that I be near an airport so it was an easy decision to leave Tomball (north of Houston). We NEVER considered living in Austin. Instead we chose to build our home in unincorporated Hays county in the Hill country. Shortly after moving I had my first "bag experience" was at an HEB in south Austin. I had about 20 items and after paying the cashier and my purchases were simply piled up she just looked at me and asked if I would like to purchase bags. "Excuse me?" I replied and she explained the bag ban. While we go into Austin occasionally for dining or entertainment we do our shopping in Dripping Springs or Kyle. Austin seems more interested in being weird than in being practical and it's not just the bag issue. As a native Texan I had visited Austin many times on business and was fully aware of it reputation as a liberal bastion, but since moving to the area even I'm surprised.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    And why would you do that? They didn't make the stupid rule. They are just holding down a job rather than counting on welfare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Relax, It was a joke, most folks who know me here would know exactly why that would be funny coming from me.

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Should gather plastic bags, setup a table outside the grocery store, and hand them out to patrons going in.

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    Careful I wonder if the SJWs would try to get you cited for something. I don't know what but I could see that. Humor is not their strong suit.

Austin only has like eleventy-bazillion local ordinances so I'm sure they can find something to cite you for.

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    I hate this town! Lived here for close to 20 years because its where the job is. You cant wash your car in front of your house either. I got a citation for watering my yard on the wrong day. ( yes they actually pay people to drive around looking for stupid crap like this) I was going out of town on military orders for weeks. If I let it die, I would have been cited by the HOA for having a dead yard. Did I mention that I hate this place?

Top Bottom