• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Well, they could read Mexican newspapers. They could listen to Mexican language news and television shows. But punishing a student for refusing to recite the pledge to another country, even if it IS in Mexican, is bullshit to the Nth degree. If a student can "opt out" of saying the U.S. pledge, then it's only right for them to be able to "opt out"of the Mexican pledge. The actions of the teacher, Reyna Santos, are vindictive and she should be, at the least, suspended without pay, for no less than a month. If she continues to be vindictive, termination is the final option. I don't care if she's considered a good teacher. Actions like hers are NOT what we need in the classroom.

The conscientious objector of pro-American pledge policy is what makes punishing the student wrong.

If you can't force a kid to say the American pledge, in America, how are you going for force the same kid to say the Mexican pledge.

But in and of itself, I don't have a problem in Spanish class, learning something in Spanish, even if its the pledge. (The key being in Spanish class). Now if you want to moan about why are we teaching foreign languages of third world countries in our schools that's a whole different ball or wax...

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Now if you want to moan about why are we teaching foreign languages of third world countries in our schools that's a whole different ball or wax...

Apparently its because people 18-25 don't have enough knowledge about the world, global situations and economic conditions, and need a global mindset and cultural empathy. Speaking another language makes us more able to focus apparently. That's in high demand, apparently.

Also apparently, if we give up the notion that out nation and culture is better than others, AKA cultural empathy, then it helps forge relations and build trust with foreign nations so we can do business and trade with them.

At least that's what I was told.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The conscientious objector of pro-American pledge policy is what makes punishing the student wrong.

If you can't force a kid to say the American pledge, in America, how are you going for force the same kid to say the Mexican pledge.

But in and of itself, I don't have a problem in Spanish class, learning something in Spanish, even if its the pledge. (The key being in Spanish class). Now if you want to moan about why are we teaching foreign languages of third world countries in our schools that's a whole different ball or wax...

The problem is the she was forcing these kids to PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO MEXICO.

That is unacceptable for an American citizen no matter what language or setting it is in and children should not be taught that its ok while being told its wrong to pledge their allegiance to our flag.

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    This is messed up for sure.....i bet the teacher was a mexican national hired to teach that class.... good for the student for standing up for her rights and beliefs...

hope the school district has the balls to correct this..

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    The teacher can pound sand. You live here!! Language? English, loyalty? Usa!!
    If you dont like it, Get ghost,
    Enough of people telling me what i have to do in my own house!!!

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    The threat of public humiliation used to keep this kind of activity controlled.

Today, I am sure she is praised by some for doing it..................

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Apparently its because people 18-25 don't have enough knowledge about the world, global situations and economic conditions, and need a global mindset and cultural empathy. Speaking another language makes us more able to focus apparently. That's in high demand, apparently.

Also apparently, if we give up the notion that out nation and culture is better than others, AKA cultural empathy, then it helps forge relations and build trust with foreign nations so we can do business and trade with them.

At least that's what I was told.

I'm bilingual. It's nice. Especially when I sweet talk the Mexican cook to putting a little extra food on my plate...

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Thinks his old lady really looks like this ;-)
    ba4y3ady.jpg

Takwolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2013
    Unfortunate that this actually is an issue.

There should be an immediate change in school policy.

To be forced to say a pledge for another country is ludicrous. Have them practice language skills with a song, poem, or something else.

People really have forgotten some of the values that were obtained through the blood, sweat, and tears of the previous American generations. Freedom means the right to refuse an oath to another country that one doesn't belong to.

Takwolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2013
    Next thing students will fail Spanish class, because they don't want to do a field trip to a Mexico border city in Mexico.

The drug cartels won't kidnap you if you say the pledge of allegiance to Mexico. NOT!!!

red1027

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    RGV
    That bullshit policy hasn't always been the case in McAllen. I graduated from McAllen Memorial High and we used recite the US pledge of allegiance every morning and the national anthem played at every sporting event.

Not all of us are retarded liberals. I'm am proud of my Mexican heritage but my allegiance is and always has been to the USA.

Hope this lawsuit gets to the bottom of this lunacy and gets the values we grew up with back in our schools. God bless AMERICA!!!!

Takwolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2013
    That bullshit policy hasn't always been the case in McAllen. I graduated from McAllen Memorial High and we used recite the US pledge of allegiance every morning and the national anthem played at every sporting event.

Not all of us are retarded liberals. I'm am proud of my Mexican heritage but my allegiance is and always has been to the USA.

Hope this lawsuit gets to the bottom of this lunacy and gets the values we grew up with back in our schools. God bless AMERICA!!!!

Hey red,

Making sure that I don't come off sounding like I'm attacking Mexican Americans. This easily applies to French class or any other language class that is trying to pass off cultural knowledge by reciting a pledge of allegiance.

This is more so a question on why would you punish a student for questioning a request that they feel unethical. Do we just want our future generations to just do what they are told because someone in authority tells them to do so?

This isn't a political issue the way I see it, but more so an educational one. Don't we want the future generations to think for themselves and understand that they shouldn't agree or say something that they don't believe, just because it is the "Norm"?

Is it automatically, the teacher is correct because they are the teacher? Does a student lack the ability to formulate an opinion or action that may be counter to what a teacher or school administrator believes?

Obviously, in areas of safety this is not the case. Adults should be listened to. However there was no safety issue involved with this issue. Just a matter of critical thought and an understanding of what a "pledge" is.

AcidFlashGordon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey red,

Making sure that I don't come off sounding like I'm attacking Mexican Americans. This easily applies to French class or any other language class that is trying to pass off cultural knowledge by reciting a pledge of allegiance.

This is more so a question on why would you punish a student for questioning a request that they feel unethical. Do we just want our future generations to just do what they are told because someone in authority tells them to do so?

This isn't a political issue the way I see it, but more so an educational one. Don't we want the future generations to think for themselves and understand that they shouldn't agree or say something that they don't believe, just because it is the "Norm"?

Is it automatically, the teacher is correct because they are the teacher? Does a student lack the ability to formulate an opinion or action that may be counter to what a teacher or school administrator believes?

Obviously, in areas of safety this is not the case. Adults should be listened to. However there was no safety issue involved with this issue. Just a matter of critical thought and an understanding of what a "pledge" is.

Learning something, whether it's a pledge or national anthem, is one thing. Being forced to recite or sing them is another. I speak German and in class we "learned" about the German national anthem, both pre- and post-Hitler. The pre-Hitler anthem is now illegal in Germany. But we did NOT have to sing it We discussed the grammar in it. We read the "old German font" versions of it. But, there were no tests on what was in it nor was it brought up after that lesson was over.

Top Bottom