• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    if you say so. The dozens of civil wars the Americas have had in the last 50 years reflect, their belief it does.

And their belief has been wrong.

You also comically try to use events taking place in drastically different cultures as evidence of what would take place here.
    Target Sports

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    And their belief has been wrong.

You also comically try to use events taking place in drastically different cultures as evidence of what would take place here.

Well here, we had the biggest war in our history and the secess lost. Civil Wars have become bloody affairs across the globe. I don't see why we would be special.

The pro-secess seem to think they would skate by without everything and everyone they knew being slaughtered.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Didn't happen the first time. Didn't happen when the colonies split.

It could get very bloody, but very bloody and "everything and everyone" are two very different things.

I get it though, you can bedazzle your shackles and call them bracelets.

Some remember why people gave their lives in the past, and others like you do not.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    The Revolution was more than 200 years ago. Geez freaking look at the news. Modern civil wars are more like the the Yugoslavia breakup, Sudan, and wars in El Salvador and Nicaragua.

And as there are extremely few Secess it would be much more like Waco. You would be considered terrorists and treated like such.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yup, we are exactly the same Yugoslavia, Sudan, El Salvador, and Nicaragua.

Hell, people were being killed left and right before any war broke out.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I'm sure those people are much safer waiting to die than risking anything for a better life.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    You won't be oppressed. you would be dead. if we're playing hypotheticals in the hypothetical the NSA knows where you all and they take you out very quickly, for being terrorists. Then they go get donuts.

It is understood to one who will dissent, that death is always a possibility. I can't see how it would be a deterrent, as you seem to see it as.

I want to keep playing, so here's one.

Lets say the crazy secessionist SOMEHOW got there way, if not just for a little while. Just like the NSA, they have been monitoring your post, know everything about you and decide that you and your family have no place in the Republic. They come to your door, charge you and your family with dissent and demand you all come out of your home so they may carry out their sentence for the crimes you committed against the Republic. Do you fight, even while knowing that death is a great possibility, or do you peacefully walk out and give you and your family up, still knowing that death is a great possibility?

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    There are always those who prefer the tranquility of servitude; "few men desire liberty, most wish only for a just master".

The concept of overwhelming force being assured victory is one disproven throughout history. The outcome of the War of Northern Aggression is no indicator of it's irreproachability.

I sincerely doubt a significant secession effort would be mounted though I equally doubt the certainty of the outcome. I do however recognize the "loyal serf" mindset and am grateful such "loyalists" were less than successful during the "traitorous" founding of this nation despite their best efforts to subvert their neighbors, friends and families.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Well here, we had the biggest war in our history and the secess lost. Civil Wars have become bloody affairs across the globe. I don't see why we would be special.

The pro-secess seem to think they would skate by without everything and everyone they knew being slaughtered.

The Revolution was more than 200 years ago. Geez freaking look at the news. Modern civil wars are more like the the Yugoslavia breakup, Sudan, and wars in El Salvador and Nicaragua.

And as there are extremely few Secess it would be much more like Waco. You would be considered terrorists and treated like such.

This ignores the drastic change in the use of social media, the presence of handheld broadcasting devices (streaming iPhones/Androids), the general "anti-war/anti-conflict" culture, and the significantly increased use of judicial process at a national and international level to avoid conflict in modern nations.

It would be that way to AVOID falling back into the sectarian violence seen in the less-developed nations with less socio-political infrastructure that haven't been otherwise insulated from the violence in and around them every day.

Take a typical US teen or twenty-something and put them in Israel - the occasional bombing would rattle them beyond belief. Now put them in Somalia or some other warring African nation. They'd come unhinged.

The insulation from violence as a means to solve societal ills in America is the very thing that would keep an overwhelming violent response out.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    It is understood to one who will dissent, that death is always a possibility. I can't see how it would be a deterrent, as you seem to see it as.

I want to keep playing, so here's one.

Lets say the crazy secessionist SOMEHOW got there way, if not just for a little while. Just like the NSA, they have been monitoring your post, know everything about you and decide that you and your family have no place in the Republic. They come to your door, charge you and your family with dissent and demand you all come out of your home so they may carry out their sentence for the crimes you committed against the Republic. Do you fight, even while knowing that death is a great possibility, or do you peacefully walk out and give you and your family up, still knowing that death is a great possibility?

Alternatively they just blow up your truck.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    So no answer then. cool

OT- Are you going to the Hicksville event next Saturday?

No, I lived in the bad part of LA for five years. My view of what people will do here is different than yours, thats all.

EDIT: The 10th? I'm at the state match. Just look for the best guy on the squad. I'll be the dude sitting in the chair next to him, eating a snack and wondering how long until bourbon time....

Last edited:

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    No, I lived in the bad part of LA for five years. My view of what people will do here is different than yours, thats all.

Well that is cool, we should get together for lunch and trade war stories on all the shit holes we both have lived in.

So how about just answering the question then? Would you fight in the previously posted hypothetical scenario or would you just surrender?

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    Well that is cool, we should get together for lunch and trade war stories on all the shit holes we both have lived in.
    :)

So how about just answering the question then? Would you fight in the previously posted hypothetical scenario or would you just surrender?
    I apologize as we've been a few scenarios, so if I answer the wrong one if you restate it I will directly respond.
    If you're asking would I fight in a revolutionary scenario: probably not. I'm too old.
    Would I fight to protect my family: you betcha, as I am sure everyone on this board would. Now the question you really should ask is: would I fight for good bacon? :bring:;)

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.

EDIT: The 10th? I'm at the state match. Just look for the best guy on the squad. I'll be the dude sitting in the chair next to him, eating a snack and wondering how long until bourbon time....

Where is the match?

Top Bottom