• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shuutr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    austin
    The original question was "Can you carry on campus?" technically Yes. But you can't go into any building or event. Which, for all practical purposes really means no. You cannot carry on campus.

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    Not allowed.

From what I understand, it is legal to carry on the school's property, just not INSIDE any of the buildings. Walking through campus, on sidewalks, or streets...if I am not mistaken, is legal. But don't quote me on that, do some research. I personally keep at least one firearm in my vehicle when I go to school, which is against my school's rules, but not against the law. But really it's not even against the school's rules, because half the time I park off campus and walk. Which is one of the reasons I'm a big advocate for CCW on college campuses....because those "off campus" spots are usually in a pretty rough neighborhood....and many of my classes are evening classes, which means I'm walking through the hood unarmed at night, alone, very often. I have my Glock 26 on me till the very minute that I get to wherever I'm parking to go to school.

I am getting a Smith and Wesson Airweight 442 38 special as soon as I can afford to...and if ever the day comes where CCW on college campuses is no longer prohibited, that'll be my "school gun". Lol....Brady Bunchers love that, lemme tell ya....they seem to forget a college campus isn't a high school with children, it's a college with ADULTS. The excuses I've heard the anti's use for being anti campus carry are not only invalid, but insulting. Basically their main argument is that college students are compulsive binge drinkers and are in no way responsible enough (or lucid enough), to be trusted in handling a firearm safely. They've also said that if a student gets a bad grade they're gonna have a temper tantrum and shoot the teacher out of rage and anger.....as if the "no guns allowed" signs would really stop someone who's dead set on doing that.

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    Also a good way to make us all look like a bunch of assholes who do what they want regardless of what laws are in place.
    This forum is chock full of law abiding citizens, as well as many current and former law enforcement officers.

If your "I may have already sssshhhhhhhh!!" was an attempt to gain some sort of favor with us, you failed. Real, REAL bad!

Yeah....definitely not good to violate gun laws...and even more "not good" to openly admit to it on a public internet forum...just sayin'. Use 3rd person if you have to say something like that. Say something like, "a friend of mine who lives in San Antonio was asking me about ccw on college campuses, etc....". I mean really if someone REALLY wants to, they could use what you've said in this forum against you in court, and believe me...there are plenty out there who would LOVE to see a CHL holder jailed for violating the terms of their licensing. It wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing to go back to the original post (speaking to the OP) and reword it some...just sayin'

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    Notice no one has not heard anything about that chl aggie student who fired at the College Station shooter and probably saved many lives. That prosecutor is really cool for that even though the student was in violation for having carried on campus.

Never heard about that. But yeah...I always wondered what would happen to someone if they were to stop a mass murder with a gun they were carrying illegally...would they be hailed as a hero, and spared prosecution...or would they be treated as if they were the mass murderer...guess it depends on what city/state this happens in....still, as has been stressed in posts in this thread....I'd say violating any gun laws would be a bad thing, not just for the violator, but for the entire CHL community.

Believe me the thought that I could carry a gun for self protection in my bag for school, without anyone knowing, ever...has crossed my mind...I don't worry so much about random mass shootings as I do walking to and from my car through Houston's 3rd Ward, many times after dark...

But even with that still...there's a right way to do things, and then there's a wrong way....breaking the agreement you made with DPS in order to get your CHL...is definitely the wrong way...hopefully in due time the law forbidding CCW on college campuses will be tossed...till then, we have no choice but to go unarmed just like everyone else. The fact that we follow the law, whether we like it or not...is what separates us from the thugs that the Brady Bunch tries to portray us as...

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Well now...think about it. If he was just "on campus" with a CHL, he wasn't actually breaking any laws at that time - so no big deal. Most likely they have downplayed his role in the interest of his own safety and privacy, similar to the guy out in West Texas 20-30 years ago that took out a punk tryin' to kill a DPS trooper on the side of the road with a well-placed rifle shot.....

Shuutr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    austin
    I agreed. You can carry on campus, but not in any buildings. So, I repeat, not being able to go into a building eliminates practical carry on campus. As a student, my classes were and are in buildings. So are most of the events. For those that go to campus (students, faculty and staff) cannot carry because they cannot go into their destination while carrying.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    I agreed. You can carry on campus, but not in any buildings. So, I repeat, not being able to go into a building eliminates practical carry on campus. As a student, my classes were and are in buildings. So are most of the events. For those that go to campus (students, faculty and staff) cannot carry because they cannot go into their destination while carrying.

So, what you're saying is that because of the restrictions in place (no carry into buildings, events), that it essentially says "NO" due to the probability that few students on campus would be on campus unless they were going to or coming from a building or event. Right?

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    Well, some students might hang out and socialize by the quad or parking lot but eventually they will have to go to class or back to the dorms. In a way, the current law isn't all that practical. It's there but overall not very useful.

I'm torn on the concept of campus carry. A big part of me agrees with it on the principle of choice and the 2A but a smaller (much smaller) part of me remembers what I and my classmates were like in college. It's a time where we are all sort of conditioned to make mistakes - young, naieve (although we thought we knew it all), hormones running rampant, parties, alcohol, and bravado spurred on by sexual tensions. Generally not a good mix with guns.

I just don't know.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Well, some students might hang out and socialize by the quad or parking lot but eventually they will have to go to class or back to the dorms. In a way, the current law isn't all that practical. It's there but overall not very useful.

I'm torn on the concept of campus carry. A big part of me agrees with it on the principle of choice and the 2A but a smaller (much smaller) part of me remembers what I and my classmates were like in college. It's a time where we are all sort of conditioned to make mistakes - young, naieve (although we thought we knew it all), hormones running rampant, parties, alcohol, and bravado spurred on by sexual tensions. Generally not a good mix with guns.

I just don't know.

That part that you remember... you were still young, dumb teenagers, right? Freshman, sophomore, etc? Can't carry any way.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I just don't know.

To each their own, ah reckon. A month after turning 18, I entered the service. 3 months later, I was entrusted with the defense of this great country of ours.....which meant I was deemed fit to bear arms in her defense. For me, that was a pivotal point in my life. Yeah - did my share of stupid, none of which involved doing so with a weapon.

Then again, I have carried a firearm on or about my person most of my life - got my first gun that stayed in my room at the age of 12. I don't brandish 'em, don't do stupid things with them....but if you want to call the music, son, I'll be happy to pay the piper for the first song!

I believe it's up to each individual to prove/disprove their maturity. I don't want to make EVERYONE a target because of a few dumb punks.

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    To each their own, ah reckon. A month after turning 18, I entered the service. 3 months later, I was entrusted with the defense of this great country of ours.....which meant I was deemed fit to bear arms in her defense. For me, that was a pivotal point in my life. Yeah - did my share of stupid, none of which involved doing so with a weapon.

Then again, I have carried a firearm on or about my person most of my life - got my first gun that stayed in my room at the age of 12. I don't brandish 'em, don't do stupid things with them....but if you want to call the music, son, I'll be happy to pay the piper for the first song!

I believe it's up to each individual to prove/disprove their maturity. I don't want to make EVERYONE a target because of a few dumb punks.

Oh I don't disagree. I, too went into the service when I was 18 (in fact, I was a 19D out of Ft. Bliss, Texas). Was exposed to guns since the age of 7 and hung around kids who's families hunted and shot recreationally. You can say I grew up not only in a gun-friendly culture but I had old-school parents that wouldn't think twice about beating us if we ever treated guns without respect for what they can do. We grew up knowing what guns are capable of when misused and our family structure ingrained in us a feeling of shame if we acted irresponsibly around them.

Sadly, that's not the norm anymore... hence, the reason I'm torn about campus carry. In the end, it's obviously a matter of personal responsiblity - but that concept just seems less and less common nowadays.

Shuutr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    austin
    So, what you're saying is that because of the restrictions in place (no carry into buildings, events), that it essentially says "NO" due to the probability that few students on campus would be on campus unless they were going to or coming from a building or event. Right?

Correct. And as a student of over a decade on campus, I wish the opposite was true.

Top Bottom