• majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    D'oh!

SWAT Officer At Armed Standoff Has His Rifle Sight On Backward

Most military services teach "attention to detail." That the slightest lack of attention to detail can result in lives lost.

The fellows pictured here are not military, and certainly not in combat. They are local SWAT teams in upstate New York, the small town of Mohawk, population 7,500, and they're surrounding an alleged killer holed up in a local business.

herkimer3%20(1).jpg

What's telling about this picture though is that the officer with the "military style" assault weapon and the $500 "military style" close quarters combat sight has that same combat sight attached to the rifle backward.

Oops.

In effect, it's useless.

Reminds me of this article...

magazine%20backward.jpg

Now I can understand how the second officer accidentally inserted the magazine in the wrong way, but not how a SWAT officer could be using a rifle with a sight that hasn't been zero'd in...
    Hurley's Gold

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    Just a damn shame. There's no way he's qualified with that individual rifle and any instructor that signed him off needs to reevaluate their course goals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    I would say that those are funny, but they are not. These officers are likely dealing with some real d-bags and this could end badly them, their partners, and nearby civilians. It would be a damned shame to lose an officer because they aren't effectively trained on their weapons systems.

On the other hand, if there ever comes a day where officers are tasked with gun confiscations, I hope that the officers out "following orders" will be making similar mistakes (and I'm guessing the ones that are real gun people wouldn't be out following those orders).

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I want to know who would be so stupid to roll into a possible life or death situation with a weapon that's not zeroed. Guy's a lawsuit waiting to happen to his employer. If the wrong person had been shot by this guy and that picture got introduced at trial? Done.

Not a fan of his light setup, either.

stalker19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Mom's basement
    In the other pics it looked like a USMS badge on his vest.

Doesn't really matter and I'm sure it'll come out once this goes viral.

Since I don't know and thus don't know what SOPs they have, it is also possible that he picked up the gun from another vehicle or an armorer screwed it up and the guy didn't check the gun upon re-issue(until he needed it).

Regardless, somebody done screwed up. From seeing plenty of similar mess ups, I'm tempted to think it was someone who was tired or otherwise mentally exhausted, rather than sheer amateur status.

"I want to know who would be so stupid to roll into a possible life or death situation with a weapon that's not zeroed."

Easy. The same people that find things like training on, maintaining or just having to carry a gun to be inconveniences. Sadly, that is the majority of folks who carry guns for a living.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    pdb : YOU CAN’T EXPLAIN THAT Found the explanation.

Lots of people trying to defend the cop, say it's a Sightmark sight. I can see the up, down and NV buttons on the front/back of the sight in that pic. And I can make out what looks like EOTech, but it's a bit fuzzy. I can definitely tell the letters/logo on the side are in a format, "XXXxxxx".

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    That's an eotech xps2. No way in hell that is a sight mark.

Sent from my toaster using secret alien technology.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Hey-at least his rear flip up is raised. Is that sight magnified? Maybe he is wears glasses and has flipped the thing around to help him see better? I dunno....Im scratching for some sort of logical reasoning here.....

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I'm more concerned about the female officer standing up like a fool. If she needed to have that rifle mounted and ready to fire, she should be taking cover. Is that how they train?

Flash

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Not a fan of his light setup, either.

Out of curiosity because I'm thinking of mounting some light on my ar, what is wrong with the light set up? I thought that was a preferred spot since it provided quick operation?

Sent knowing my life is boring unless I'm looking down range. And that most of you are jerks.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Hey-at least his rear flip up is raised. Is that sight magnified? Maybe he is wears glasses and has flipped the thing around to help him see better? I dunno....Im scratching for some sort of logical reasoning here.....

No magnification to an EOTech.

Out of curiosity because I'm thinking of mounting some light on my ar, what is wrong with the light set up? I thought that was a preferred spot since it provided quick operation?

Sent knowing my life is boring unless I'm looking down range. And that most of you are jerks.

Where he's got the light, it can cause a shadow in the head/face area, which kind of defeats the purpose of having a light in the first place. You want that sucker shining in the face of anybody you point your rifle at so you can identify them and so they are too busy having their retinas fried to be able to even think of aiming at you. The front sling loop is about to drop down in front of his light.

Most of the time, you see people who know mounting their lights on the side to avoid that problem. If the light is low-profile enough (that one might be) you can sometimes get away with mounting it on the top of the handguard.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DSDExpresso
    Top Bottom