• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fuelfather

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio
    Here's a project my dad did. He still goes around racing at tracks, so he made this one of a kind box to work out of. The wheels are on axles, the landing gear swings up, and theres a 5th wheel hitch. He has plans to install working lights, and build a truck to pull it for show.

The boxy bodies are custom designed and made - again, by him. He changes his design every year and makes them so not only are they based off of the IMCA modified, but they are also functional in creating down force on the track as well as keeping the car a little more stable in the turns.

FB_IMG_1435573555854_zpstehi31z9.jpg

FB_IMG_1435573571238_zpso3pwqg6k.jpg

If if it sits high enough an HPI Savage would make an awesome hauler. I helped a buddy work on a concourse truck with Peterbilt body, single rear axle dually, with an aluminum framed wood floored gooseneck.
    Texas SOT

fuelfather

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio
    That is pretty cool.

OK Jeremy, now that I've burned several batteries and flipped & rolled the Slash many times (but haven't lost it :p), what is most likely to break? What spare parts should I keep on hand? And are you current with Traxxas products/quality?

Glockster, just junk that one and get you an HPI Savage, awesome bashers out of the box, and can be made competitive with skills and minor suspension adjustments. In all honesty enjoy the thing and replace stuff as it breaks. The aluminum parts are not always the best answer for replacements, it just moves the weak spot to a more expensive part. For the steering servo, I always used this servo, great strength and speed combination.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Glockster, just junk that one and get you an HPI Savage, awesome bashers out of the box, and can be made competitive with skills and minor suspension adjustments. In all honesty enjoy the thing and replace stuff as it breaks. The aluminum parts are not always the best answer for replacements, it just moves the weak spot to a more expensive part. For the steering servo, I always used this servo, great strength and speed combination.
    Man, don't jack with me like that! lol .. I had NO intention of getting a truck/car so I'm not about to search and find out now a HPI is just a few dollars more and twice the power.

I had my boss shoot a vid after work and a few people hung around. I tried to jump a wheelchair ramp from parking to grass and totally missed, ran it head long into the curb at decent clip. Tx input said it was DOA but turns out only the battery connection popped off and it rolled again. It's spending the night with my boss so he can convince his wife to get one, for her. lol .. She actually has been wanting one anyway. He called before I even got home and said the curb encounter compressed the battery @ 1/4". Then he said his lady met him o/s, saw the Slash and immediately started hollering *TAKE IT BACK*! When she found out it was a loaner, she commandeered the Tx and won't let him play too. ;)

The video? It was OK, didn't really capture the speed and movement. And he didn't turn off video mode (and I didn't notice) so I set the phone on the seat and drove. 22min & 2.3GB later, I have some wonderful memories of my car ceiling. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I expect the video will be uploaded by morning.

Minus your grungy ceiling.

fuelfather

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio
    I took one of my old savages 12+ feet up the side of a large oak tree one day and it kicked off the back tired into a backflip and landed on its roof on an exposed root. I love the 1st generation roll bar they had on that truck. It bent the bar a little bounced and kept running. I have landed that truck any which way you could imagine, including cartwheels on anything from grass to concrete.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    And the reason you drove up a tree??? I know .. I know, cuz it was there. lol

I noticed the LR tire pulled off the inside bead and fixed it. Just a few minutes of use and it's off again, should it be glued? Looks like there may be a thin line of OEM silicone .

Even though the steering is centered it torque steers left pretty bad, any fix? Battery on the left, electronics on the right in the tub.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Superglue your tires to your rims. Not only will it prevent them from coming off with side motion, but it will also keep them from spinning on your rim when you apply high torque.

After doing this, see if your pulling issue is fixed. If it's not, it could be a number of things - especially with it being a 4wd. The first thing I'd look at is making sure all your shocks are setup EXACTLY alike. You're checking springs, adjustment nut setting, and fluid levels. In these smaller vehicles, small adjustments make a bigger difference. Then, check to make sure you don't have any bad bearings. If you're still not finding the fix, take it by a local hobby shop. There should be a few in Houston. They can look it over for you.

fuelfather

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio
    And the reason you drove up a tree??? I know .. I know, cuz it was there. lol

I noticed the LR tire pulled off the inside bead and fixed it. Just a few minutes of use and it's off again, should it be glued? Looks like there may be a thin line of OEM silicone .

Even though the steering is centered it torque steers left pretty bad, any fix? Battery on the left, electronics on the right in the tub.

Use CA glue, your local Hobby Shop will carry it there. They make several types, if it is a front tire that could cause the oversteer. Check your preload on your shocks, all four corners, that the front two and rear two are matched, either spacers or threaded if you are lucky enough to to have them. Also check the fluid levels in each shock. There are many things to check without having in front of me. Does it have a a 4 bevel gear differential, make sure you have lost an axle anywhere. Pare the shock towers tweaked out of line? And on and on and on.

Last edited:

fuelfather

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio
    As for the tree, I saw a squirrel dropping nuts and crap on my pickup and saw him in the grass nearby and chased him up the tree on the other side of the hotel.

fuelfather

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio
    I would stay with the plastic arms though because if you hit hard enough to break plastic a solid hit will bend aluminum or break something else that is even harder and or more costly fix.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom