• ...and so much more!
  • Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    That is pretty cool.

OK Jeremy, now that I've burned several batteries and flipped & rolled the Slash many times (but haven't lost it :p), what is most likely to break? What spare parts should I keep on hand? And are you current with Traxxas products/quality?

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Traxxas makes GREAT beginner level, electric, off road trucks/buggies and intermediate gas cars/trucks. With off road vehicles, you're gonna want to have plenty of suspension related parts.

Those arms and shock towers take the most damage. So do the bumpers. Most guys on the race circuit take the full length front bumpers and shave them down to only be as wide as the chassis where it's bolted to. Sure, in theory the full length ones can protect your arms, but they (bumpers) seem to just break easier due to the leverage. You can play around with it and make your own opinion, of course. They also sell the small bumpers so you don't have to cut it down. You probably can get by with holding off on the shock tower. While I have seen plenty of them break...it's usually with vehicles landing on each other, slamming each other into solid objects, and basically driving the shit out of them due to competition. Unless you just like going flying over hills and using trees to stop you, you may not go through them as much. I still say to stock up on arms, bolts, and arm hinges.

Make sure you get a few body clips on standby and ALWAYS point them towards the front of your vehicle. You're not going to go slamming into much while in reverse (if your truck even has it), but you may slam into things while driving. This prevents your body clips from flying off. You're still bound to lose em on occasion though, so go ahead and keep 5 or 6 on standby. Another insider tip - most trucks have a spoiler mounted on them. This is pretty much for when you're flying through the air - it prevents you from flipping. It also makes great storage for your three body clips when the body is off so you don't lose them.

You'll notice there are a ton of clear bodies waiting on you to paint. Make sure you always paint them from the inside so they don't get all scratched up, and paint in reverse of how you normally would. Don't go for an excess of dark colors because it makes them hard to see in areas not lit up so well. I know my dad has one car thats mostly blue....he also doesn't race it at night. Once you get your paint job done, give it a few coats of white. This gives the colors a little extra pop.

If you start to get serious with it, you can change your ride with different springs and tires. If you notice it bouncing all over the place - go for a softer spring. If it's bottoming out, go stiffer. Also, if you're going to be driving it a lot, keep shock fluid and seals on standby. Shock fluid needs to be replaced once you notice it losing resistance. - o rings go out simply from wear and tear. Different tires perform better on different dirts. Everyone generally keeps the front wheels about the same, but have 4-5 sets of different back wheels. The wheels generally are filled with a spongy foam and the rims have a small hole so they can breath. If you let water in that hole, you need to change out the foam. It will harden up where it got wet and throw your tire off balance. Oh yea-bearings. Stock up on roller bearings for your wheels. Check your bearings simply by holding your truck off the ground and playing with the wheels. If you notice ANY grittyness - they're bad. Just swap em out. You can also just spin the wheels and see if one of them doesn't keep going on forever.

The electronics are constantly upgrading, and I've been out of the game for a few years, so I can't touch on that too much. All the rest is new materials but pretty much the same logic. If you need electronics advice for upgrades, I can ask my dad about it.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Sounds like a lot of shit, lol.

But FPV RC trucks seems pretty fun too.

Must resist

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I had to Google FPV RC trucks. Lol

Losi makes good all around trucks, but have a lot more focus in the competition trucks/buggies. Team Associated is a good one, too.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Make sure you get a few body clips on standby and ALWAYS point them towards the front of your vehicle. You're not going to go slamming into much while in reverse (if your truck even has it), but you may slam into things while driving. This prevents your body clips from flying off. You're still bound to lose em on occasion though, so go ahead and keep 5 or 6 on standby.

LOL . I left the shop and made it just a few miles N. before I pulled into a parking lot to play. ;) The battery was still in from use at the shop and one weird turn later, I rolled it and the battery came flying out. That's when I realized I had seen one stray clip on the counter. :( I probably have some clips in my gokart gear but it's somewhat buried, a safety pin works just fine under the hood. :)

Thanks for the other info.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    luckily my wife doesn't trust me with them......thank God!!!

Got a PayPal account?

You can try to resist, but we will succeed.

Wanna fly a plane or quad at Hicksville? Gster might let you drive his truck. It'll be fun, just try it.....:evil:

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    yessssssssssssss!!!!
    groin-kick-smiley-emoticon.gif

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts