Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I've loaded the car. This is the last bump before I chill a while from a crazy day then hit the sack. Looking forward to whoever shows up tomorrow. It doesn't matter if it's just 3 of us or a whole herd, we're gonna have fun. :)

Anybody who wants to shoot, just show up.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    I plan on being there, but probably won't arrive until noon.
    Ben, if I could make use of your chronograph, I would surely apprciate it.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Thanks Vac. Other than low/mid teens wind, it should be very nice. I hope to get dueling tree videos, all my safeties are off

. . . . . . NOW!!! lol

For once my truck is loaded before going to bed. :machine:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Ben, if I could make use of your chronograph, I would surely apprciate it.
    I wasn't planning on taking one but I was so lazy that I didn't remove the one that's in the trunk. That means I haven't checked the battery and don't know if I have a tripod with it.

It's possible to use it without a tripod but I can't speak to the state of the battery. The one in there should still be good but you never know; if I put it away with the switch "on", then it'll be dead. Normally I'd carry a spare but I just looked in my battery drawer and I don't have one.

Sorry I can't be more positive about this but it's at the bottom of the trunk and I'd have to unpack a ton of stuff to get to it.

Bottom line: If you have a spare 9V battery, that would be a good thing.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Mr. Pie said I wouldn't understand it . . . . . he was right :confused:

Canthitcraptarget_zpsa5d739ca.jpg

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Pics and narrative tomorrow. I'm going to bed.

For now, it was fun and I learned a lot from Moonpie. If you weren't there, you missed a good one.

PS to the guys who were there - The guy in the Suburban was sitting outside his truck, smoking, and just watching us. I parked at the men's room and when I finished, I gave the guy a big wave. He was staring straight at me and didn't move a muscle. Somebody didn't like that we were there.

Screw 'em.

And I certainly did lock him in. :)

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I gave the guy a big wave. He was staring straight at me and didn't move a muscle. Somebody didn't like that we were there.

Screw 'em.

And I certainly did lock him in. :)
    :roflfunny: I thought you were being kind of an ass before we left but if he acted like that, I hope he spent at least one night on the range. lol

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    :roflfunny: I thought you were being kind of an ass before we left but if he acted like that, I hope he spent at least one night on the range. lol
    I'm capable of being an ass when required. It's just usually not required.

Also, I'm sure he was a member and knew how to get out. We did, though, need to demonstrate to him that if we opened the gate in the morning we were responsible enough to close it when we left.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I had lots of fun. The highlight for me was getting to shoot a Garand. It was my first time. I managed to scare some steel at 100 yards and I'm hooked. I'm really trying to justify buying one. BIG, big thanks to Moonpie.

I brought my Shooting Chrony. It's been acting up ever since it got shot a couple of Hicksvilles ago. Despite trying two different (one known good) batteries, I'm afraid the old unit is pretty much dead. Why do I know this? I fired some Hornady Critical Defense 230-grain .45ACP over it using my Springfield XDs. It reported no errors but the velocity spread was pretty wide. Apparently, my .45 was chuckin' 'em downrange at:

• 4586 and
    • 1460 feet per second.
    Suffice it to say, I no longer have that chrono.

As for the range, my offer to bring targets was completely unnecessary. I think there was enough to shoot at since we had 11 or 12 steel plates, the dueling tree, and more places to hang paper than I cared to count.
    DSCF0235_zps9d78da91.jpg

Overall, the range was in good shape.
    DSCF0236_zps039194aa.jpg

I packed light.
    DSCF0231_zpsaa80704e.jpg

Moonpie most assuredly did not. This is just a part of his contribution to the day.
    DSCF0229_zps9aefc4c1.jpg

Glockster put out a folding table to accommodate the overflow, though I'm not sure where the Moonpie ends and the Glockster begins:
    DSCF0230_zps2f326dd6.jpg

Moonpie brought a bare minimum of mags:):
    DSCF0233_zps33e83ccd.jpg

Of all the wonderful hardware in evidence, my favorite was one of these. Care to guess which?
    DSCF0239_zps88ea2a65.jpg

Of course, even with all that neat hardware, we spent most of the day shootin' the shit...
    DSCF0238_zpsa16bc709.jpg

..and I mean that slightly more than metaphorically.
    DSCF0234_zpsdbf0251b.jpg

Overall, a fun day with a little too much wind but otherwise perfect conditions.

I hope we do it again, soon, and I hope more of you can come out for it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom