• ...and so much more!
  • Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    W
    Today I ordered the dueling tree shown on the right and hopefully it will arrive before the meet. If you need to have some laughs and fun competition, be sure to bring your rimfires, especially the hand guns.

Might need some dinero too ;)

IMG_8010_zps3774737b.jpg
    Venture Surplus ad

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Love the dueling tree! Way to go! <insert "thumbs up" emoticon>

For those who haven't been there before - The pistol berm is about 75 yards away. It's WAY too far. Any downward angle when shooting a pistol will hit the ground well in front of the berm and the likelihood of bullets skipping over the berm is high. It happens consistently with, for example, .45 ball ammo. So barrels need to stay pretty much parallel with the ground; downward angles are a problem. None of that interferes with the fun; it just requires a little thinking ahead about the relative height of shooter and target.

All that means is that we'll need some sort of pedestal to put the dueling tree on. Anybody got any ideas?

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Skipping centerfire rounds being an issue I can understand but do you really think rimfire is a concern?

If so that's easy enough. I can bring CMU blocks to put the tree on or 1-2 sheets of plywood as a back stop / deflector right behind the tree.

ETA: Flip side is if it's safe for us to move in front of the firing line we can move the tree right near the berm.

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Skipping centerfire rounds being an issue I can understand but do you really think rimfire is a concern?
    Now that you mention it, no. Is the dueling tree rimfire-only?

ETA: Flip side is if it's safe for us to move in front of the firing line we can move the tree right near the berm.
    That would work but if any shotgunners show up, we'd have to stop. From certain stations on the shotgun ranges, the pistol berm is directly in their line of fire. We'd have to move so they could shoot.

If it's a rimfire-only tree, though, that whole paragraph I wrote about ricochets is probably just useless crap.

Not that that's much different from a lot of stuff I write on TGT, mind you. :)

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    If it's a rimfire-only tree, though, that whole paragraph I wrote about ricochets is probably just useless crap.

Not that that's much different from a lot of stuff I write on TGT, mind you. :)
    LoL .. The manufacturer rates the tree as rimfire only and since it will be new out of the box for the meet, that's all I hope it is used for. As you well know, that's a heck of lot a fun.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Bump, who else wants to goin in? The weather forecast looks mostly clear and @ 70^, should be nice.

Chirpy

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Hutto, TX (kinda)
    Hutto is still in the playoffs, and since the game is at CyFair (old home town) looks like we'll be heading there instead.

Sometimes I think my wife and kids sole purpose is to screw up any shooting opportunities I have :-)

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I've drummed up @ 3 maybes & 3-4 that sounds good this morning, I'll hit them for a commitment later today or tomorrow.

The dueling tree should be on my porch when I get home this evening. ;)

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    I have family commitments in the morning. If I were to show up, it wouldn't be till lunch or later. I think last time we were gone by 2 or 3, right?

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Leaving around 3 sounds about right last time, I don't recall exactly. I can shoot you my number so you can call to get an idea of how late we will stay, trouble is I don't normally carry the phone at the range so it will be by chance only that I check it.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Odd. The first thought in my head was the same one I have in certain other circumstances - "She sure is pretty. I'm looking forward to dirty-ing her up."

:)

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Should I bring the split-the-bullet-n-pop-balloons axe?
    I don't think it's worth the trouble. I was so embarrassed last time, I'm not going to try it again. :)

Seriously, the tree is enough. A plate would be cool if you've got some scrap left over from the last Hicksville. Remember that the last time we were there, the shotgunners had uprooted the pistol steel and thrown it off to the side of the range.

Top Bottom