• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

willygene

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    texas
    as one who has carried both open and concealed for 20 years, unless you are wanting to carry concealed for ligit under cover reasons where you would not want a <bad guy> to know you were carrying, there is no tactical advantage. if you are concealed and need to draw under stress and duress open carry is for more advantages. i bet most people who site the tactical reasons have never been in real tactical situations. i for one support open carry and would do so on a daily basis.

gcmj45acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Houston Metro Area
    I disagree with your stance that Open Carry is a bad thing.

Sunday's July 15th show you seemed to dwell on tactical reasons not to open carry without fair descussion on the right to keep and bear arms nor any discussion on how other states are successfully letting their residents and visitors open carry with few issues you mentioned.

I'd just like to see more fair and rounded discussion on the matter. Tactically it may not be the best choice, I agree with you some there, but as an advancement of our rights to keep an bear arms I believe it makes sense to reclaim the right in Texas to open carry as other states have successfully done.

Sorry I couldn't get into this sooner guys but, I know Jeff's out of town. Jason has been tied up with police work and I've been tied up at the office myself. I'll confirm that in general, none of us on the show are fans of open carry. Jeff was but, a discussion with an open carry proponent a while back actually changed his mind. Jason, as a peace officer, has the option and has tried it but, clearly decided against it as a result of his experience with it. I don't think any of us would vote against it if a referendum came to a vote in Texas but, in general it's not something we advocate. Beyond that, I can only speak for myself. On that, I will say that my own view is that if it was the only option, then I'd be far more likely to push for it but, knowing what I know today, I'd be the guy who would carry concealed regardless. Why?

Let's start with the obvious. Right now, whether you like it or not, the open display of a firearm is not socially acceptable even in the states that allow open carry. It still garners unwanted attention from the casual observer. There is a reason that most law enforcement agencies, even in states that allow open carry, tell their officers NOT to carry openly in public while not in uniform. Not the least of those reasons is that it draws attention to the officer. From a security aspect, it makes you an obvious target.

Many proponents of open-carry suggest that it serves as a visual deterrent. On this, I'll say, may be for some, but not for all. Building on the unwanted attention issue I mentioned earlier, I honestly think it makes you a target for the more determined and more seasoned threats we face. As an example, I'll cite the robbery of a man carrying openly in Wisconsin who himself, believed he was targeted specifically because he was carrying openly. I'm sure many of you have heard of this case but, here's a link (Man Legally Carrying Gun Robbed at Gunpoint - TODAY'S TMJ4). Strangely enough, the Wisconson Carry organization saw this incident as a clear reason to advocate for the right to carry concealed, rather than openly.

There's a solid argument that open carry is "faster" than carrying concealed. I can't necessarily disagree with that but, if you're seriously going to carry openly, you need to address the obvious retention issues that come with it. That means wearing some sort of Level II, or higher, retention holster such as Safariland's ALS series of holsters. Anything less, and you're fooling yourself. Most of us don't get to attend police academies where officers are repeatedly exposed to attempted weapon grabs. But if you're going to carry openly, you need to address that possibility and seek additional training with regard to weapon retention.

Another issue I frequently here as a reason for open carry is the issue of comfort. I'm sorry but, this is a non-starter for me. There are WAY too many OWB concealed carry options and very good IWB options for holster for this to be an issue. But, a lot of it starts with the fact I see people often wearing belts that do not provide adequate support for the firearm and magazine pouches which leads to the weight being distributed unevenly and adding to the discomfort. I do not have an ideal body. I stand 6'2" and currently weigh 310 lbs...I have to dress around the gun or choose a gun that fits whatever I have to wear that day. It may sound "chickish" but, I've got guns and holsters for different occasions and different modes of dress just as my wife has different shoes for every outfit.

That's my opening on the subject guys. I've got to review more of your responses and will address them if I can. Let me leave you with this, I'm not going to hate on those of you who prefer open carry. I simply don't place the value on it that some of you do and I think it's a less than optimal mode of carry for self defense. It doesn't mean I'm not committed to gun rights or that I'm anti-gun or compromising. Don't get butt hurt over the fact I don't share your opinion if you're advocate open carry. If you can bring a solid discussion about it rather than hurling insults, I'm more than willing to listen and who knows, you might convince me.

-Gary

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    First, Thanks for responding.

I think we just need to separate the tactical argument from the freedom and rights argument. You make a great tactical argument but have failed to give a good reason that the rights of the people to keep and bear arms should be infringed.

The argument above in summary and as I read it is that everyone should be restricted how they carry due to the perception or even unlawful acts of others not because it's wrong to open carry.

Should we make laws or keep laws on the books that protect others feelings of comfort when a law abiding citizen is doing nothing wrong?

Should we make laws or keep laws on the books because someone looking to commit a crime might take unlawful advantage of a law abiding citizen?

I believe these reactionary laws should all be removed. I'm sorry if other folks don't feel safe. I'm doing no wrong, in states that allow open carry, when I decide not to cover my 1911.

The freedom to open carry should be much like you deciding on the holster, out of many, you ware depending on how your dressed. Gun owners shouldn't be limited by other like minded gun owners to IWB because it offers the most tactical advantage in their opinions.

I do not support any laws that take my lawful decisions away and oppose any laws that limit my choice due to the irrational fear of others that I may act unlawfully just because they may be able to see I am armed. I don't see catering to these irrational fears of others a winning rights.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    I agree Matefrio, but I take it 1 step further. Tactically, we can all have honest disagreements on whether we would OC in everyday life or certain situations if OC were legal. However, here is where I get a little upset with the people who make the claim of "I'm all for OC legally, but not tactically". For lack of a better word or phrase to describe this person, I will call them "Pro-OC with Tactical Reservations" (POCWTR). POCWTRs are starting to become the "voice of reason" that is keeping OC illegal. In fact, many POCWTRs are just anti-OC entirely but don't have the guts to admit to the pro-OC crowd. And I'm not picking on Guns Over Texas specifically, but if you have a pro-2a radio show and are one of those POCWTRs who use your "tactical opinion" to cast OC in such a negative light then I'm not going to support your show, your sponsors, or anyone affiliated with you. You can have your tactical reservations, but I humbly request you to make sure your legal opinion is 100% clear. Thank you for responding.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I agree Matefrio, but I take it 1 step further. Tactically, we can all have honest disagreements on whether we would OC in everyday life or certain situations if OC were legal. However, here is where I get a little upset with the people who make the claim of "I'm all for OC legally, but not tactically". For lack of a better word or phrase to describe this person, I will call them "Pro-OC with Tactical Reservations" (POCWTR). POCWTRs are starting to become the "voice of reason" that is keeping OC illegal. In fact, many POCWTRs are just anti-OC entirely but don't have the guts to admit to the pro-OC crowd. And I'm not picking on Guns Over Texas specifically, but if you have a pro-2a radio show and are one of those POCWTRs who use your "tactical opinion" to cast OC in such a negative light then I'm not going to support your show, your sponsors, or anyone affiliated with you. You can have your tactical reservations, but I humbly request you to make sure your legal opinion is 100% clear. Thank you for responding.

At least he should talk about the other side of the issue. Sometimes OC is the best tactical choice. Uniformed Police, for example.

gcmj45acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Houston Metro Area
    ALso, will we be able to hear the show in question? I missed it live.
    Working on getting the last two weeks of shows posted. We've had some issues with the recordings and that's caused a hold up. Hopefully, I'll get those two shows posted tonight because I'd hate to got into the studio tomorrow having not posted them.

#1gunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2012
    Dallas
    I am all for open carry with the obvious option for concealed. Me being this person can see both sides equally as great views on the subject. I am glad to hear that he is not "against" it in regards to the vote if that were to come into play however it will be 100% confusing to their viewers and supporters to hear someone state they are in "reality" against it. I can understand not opting to carry in that manner however I feel the listners will and or could become somewhat against what we all believe in here and that is the right to keep and bear arms.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    At least he should talk about the other side of the issue. Sometimes OC is the best tactical choice. Uniformed Police, for example.

Bithabus, I'm not arguing with you here.. just further pointing out:

The 2nd amendment as an individual right that should not be delegated solely to police and military officers in authority and possibly in uniforms.

I don't think The Founding Fathers intended it as such.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Bithabus, I'm not arguing with you here.. just further pointing out:

The 2nd amendment as an individual right that should not be delegated solely to police and military officers in authority and possibly in uniforms.

I don't think The Founding Fathers intended it as such.

Of course. My point above is that sometimes OC is favorable tactically, as well as being our Constitutionally guaranteed right. It would be absurd to force Police to conceal their guns, just as it is absurd to force regular citizens to conceal their guns.

gcmj45acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Houston Metro Area
    I tell you what guys, Jeff's not going to be in studio with us tomorrow. Jason and I have a bunch of stuff regarding the Aurora tragedy lined up with respect to media BS as well as advocating an armed citizenry to prevent or at least quickly stop such events. But, we can also discuss this topic on air for those willing to call in. The call in number is 281-558-5738. For those of you willing, let's plan on starting this discussion during the second hour of the show, around 6pm. I'll say here and now, to eliminate any confusion, that I support gun owners having the legal option to carry openly.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

I agree 100%. Open carry is not even close to completely unsound from a tactical point of view, so I think that "it's not for everybody, YMMV, you have to decide if and when it's practical for you" is called for.

I'll throw another pro-OC argument out there: Cost. My pistols are full size, and I use them for things like 3 gun. Obviously, my holsters and other carry gear are going to run the same way. Now, to carry concealed and be halfway comfortable, I'm going to have to use money I could be spending on ammo (or food - I eat a lot of ramen just to keep shooting) to buy new clothes, a holster or five to find something that works and, oh yeah, a compact pistol to carry. We're talking several hundred dollars, which isn't chump change for some of us. Or I could throw my SERPA on a belt, holster a Sig and drape a loose t-shirt partially over a gun that I have pretty serious trouble concealing. All this and I'll be carrying a pistol I shoot very frequently under demanding circumstances (today we shot 4" steel targets at 25 yards), a pistol that's going to be better (mostly in accuracy and capacity) than any compact or subcompact pistol I can think of, and probably more reliable, at that.

JBerry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Hello to the forum!

This is Jason Berry from the Guns Over Texas Radio show. First off, thanks to all of you for listening to the show. If we did not have the listeners support, we would not have the ratings to stay on air. So THANK YOU!

Second issue, several folks seem upset that we had not responded sooner. Well, I had no ideal there was a thread waiting for me on here. In the future, if we say stuff you do not agree with or simply want to clarify, CALL IN TO THE SHOW. That is what we are there for, to answer question and stir up debate. Not everyone will agree with us. We don't expect everyone to agree with us. But we are always willing to hear your comments and give you a chance to state your case. I have not spent much time on this forum. I lurk a lot and post very little on M4Carbine.net and Pistol-training.com's forum. Nothing against this site at all, just only have so much time per day to surf the net.

Now, I do not recall anyone on Guns Over Texas Radio (GOTR) wanting to restrict ANYONE'S second amendment rights. Ever. I am 100% pro gun rights, as are Jeff and Garry. I am happy that our state saw fit to grant us concealed carry law. I personally do not support restrictive gun control laws. I am just not a fan (tactically) of open carry for me. For others, that is their personal decision...

I am on the way out the door, and will address the issue in depth later tonight or in the morning.

Thanks for supporting the show...

JBerry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    Houston, TX
    So, we have another show under our belt Today. We hopefully expressed our views clearly. We support everyone's gun rights.

I think we only had one caller from this forum. Our last caller talked about God given rights VS Constitutional rights.... In the future, the phone lines are ALWAYS open at AM700 KSEV, every Sunday from 5 to 7 pm. Call in and give your opinion, or hit us up on Facebook at "Guns Over Texas Radio".

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom