• ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    >
    This pre-set “plan” is unwise.

I’ve been around many “shootings”, although most were decades back.

Any time a person is shot, or shot and killed, there is a big resultant mess for all involved.

Better to do whatever is needed to avoid actually shooting anyone.

Please re-think your “plan”.

leVieux
    At the point I have to draw, I have already done everything possible to avoid shooting someone. That is the point, which you have entirely missed.

People are not reading what is said. They are reading into what is said things that are not there. I am not imitating Charles Bronson. But I am not going to show my pistol until I have been backed into a corner and have no other options left.

You want to pull your pistol and get cute thinking you can stop any criminal in their tracks by the mere site of a gun, by all means go ahead. Don't be surprised if that does not end well.
    Venture Surplus ad

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    In my opinion if you think showing your weapon or drawing it to scare off a bad guys it is a good plan thenyour situational awareness sucks

If drawing the weapon happens, scaring off the bad guy often follows as an unplanned benefit. It shouldn't be part of the plan, but if it happens and removes the need to shoot you should be happy.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    You need to realise that when you draw your weapon you remove all other options in the continuum of force. It's nearly impossible to reholster into concealment while grappling with someone.

As a side issue, It's an issue I have with how police are trained nowdays. I think most draw too often. I know why they do it and the tactics involved but there are a lot of officers who use drawing their weapon almost as a pacifier it seems. IMHO

Likewise, while threatening deadly force is justified when physical force is justified, for civilians you have to be concerned with what if they call your bluff? Cause that's what it is at that point. Defensive display is absolutely an option one should be aware of and know when its legally available to you but it's not a magical talisman.

You also need to be concerned with and able to defend against the accusation that you escalated a situation thus removing your ability to claim self defense if it goes farther.

If you arent a police officer you have no qualified immunity. Your actions have to be reasonable and you have to be able to articulate that.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I'm still wondering where the idea that anyone here is advocating using a firearm to intimidate an assailant came from. No, it's not a magical talisman, but when you draw you don't always have to fire. You shouldn't draw unless deadly force is reasonable and justified, but in a majority of defensive gun uses no shot is fired.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    And in no way am I advocating for drawing without the intent to fire. That goes hand in hand with justification for reasonable force. But you don't always have to follow through on that intent. If the assailant sees the gun come out and stops, then you're no longer justified in shooting him. Does that mean you shouldn't have drawn? No. It means you're lucky you don't have to perforate the dipshit and deal with all the hassles that would follow.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I'm not directing thus at any one person but a general comment.

People get awful butthurt awful fast when disagreement or discussion ensues about some subjects. They dont like their conceptions challenged. Still others take offense when it's not even clear a comment was directed at them.

Other folks make assumptions about a person's comment based apparently on hidden meanings or info between the line only they can see or their abilities at mind reading over the internet.

Dont do that folks.

It's a discussion not a criminal indictment. Learn grow and evolve.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    If drawing the weapon happens, scaring off the bad guy often follows as an unplanned benefit. It shouldn't be part of the plan, but if it happens and removes the need to shoot you should be happy.
    Of course, who wouldn't be happy?

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I'm still wondering where the idea that anyone here is advocating using a firearm to intimidate an assailant came from. No, it's not a magical talisman, but when you draw you don't always have to fire. You shouldn't draw unless deadly force is reasonable and justified, but in a majority of defensive gun uses no shot is fired.
    I'm sill wondering where the idea came from that anyone is saying that when you draw you always have to fire. 'Cuz ain't no one said that.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Twisting the words, drop a word, add a word. The intent is to create an argument, cause the poster to re-state, and rehash, an argument that does not exist. Kalitroll.

Thing is, he seems to have successfully created an impression that some of us are saying it's a good idea to draw a gun with the sole intent of scaring someone off if we feel threatened. Which nobody has said or implied.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Cass County TX.
    Thing is, he seems to have successfully created an impression that some of us are saying it's a good idea to draw a gun with the sole intent of scaring someone off if we feel threatened. Which nobody has said or implied.

He was a very adept troll. I would venture he is out there stirring the pot on another forum. Or back here already with a nice new persona setting the ground work.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    At the point I have to draw, I have already done everything possible to avoid shooting someone. That is the point, which you have entirely missed.

People are not reading what is said. They are reading into what is said things that are not there. I am not imitating Charles Bronson. But I am not going to show my pistol until I have been backed into a corner and have no other options left.

You want to pull your pistol and get cute thinking you can stop any criminal in their tracks by the mere site of a gun, by all means go ahead. Don't be surprised if that does not end well.
    I didn’t say to not BE PREPARED to fire !

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rgomez5329
    Top Bottom