• ...and so much more!
  • Savage805

blueberry in tomato soup
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    paradise, ATX
    Right, the former prime minister of Canada flew to Fla for heart surgery, I think it was, that's how good their system is

When you can afford it you go to the best. If I were the best at something and could live anywhere I wanted. I'd pick Austin Tx.

Savage805

blueberry in tomato soup
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    paradise, ATX
    I'm not saying there are not problems.

I'm not good with half a million bucks to keep eighty-nine year old grandma alive another week.
    Damn the cost this is grandma we're talking about.

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    Sorry Lox you are not getting the point. I did not explain well. In treating a patient we have to recognize that this is the business of medicine. If the Doctor does not get paid then eventually he/she goes out of business and cannot treat patients. In the case of ACA we cannot determine if the patient has paid premiums and therefore we cannot ensure we get paid.
    Let me give you an example (I know it is only one, but if you read as many national medical journals as I do you would realize it is generalized nationwide).
    ACA patient goes to see orthopaedic surgeon because of knee pain in month 1 (premium paid). Surgeon tries minimally invasive stuff like cortisone shot. Two weeks later patient returns saying not effective. Surgeon orders MRI. Few MRI facilities accept ACA so the wait is a week (now early in month 2). MRI shows damage requiring a knee surgery (not replacement but maybe cartilage repair). Surgery scheduled for early in month 3. Medical insurance does a great thing at this point (I mean that). It requires the surgeon to care for the patient for a period of time, in this case 90 days in what is called the global period if for the same issue. This is intended to cover post surgical pain, minor infections and the like, so is understood and reasonable.
    Patient did not mention, and ACA will not tell, that the patient paid premiums in month 1 but then did not subsequent to that. So MRI facility, hospital or surgery center, anesthesiology, lab if needed, and the surgeon have to return the payments made for all services save the initial office visit. To add insult the surgeon is medically required to continue to take care of the patient until they are medically stable (I do not argue with that as a sound medical responsibility).
    How is that fair, or conducive to a long term working system? Ever heard on "once bitten, twice shy". Not going to get too many professionals tolerating not getting paid by many patients. One may be called charity, and again we do pro bono work so I am in principle ok with that, but on an ongoing basis, treating dishonest people (they just "forgot" to tell us they had not paid premiums) it is unsustainable.
    Sorry for the long post, and some may disagree, but this is the new reality we face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The system you are outlining was, is, and remains fundamentally broken regardless of Obamacare.

I fully understand the issue that this presents for Doctors, the business model, and the rest of the system. There is much work to be done within our system to fix issues such as the one you so laboriously lined out.

Obamacare is not solely to blame for the issues that exist in our healthcare system. Again, statistically speaking the number of American's with Obamacare vs Private or no health insurance is small.

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    He doesn't care. He's a left wing extremist. You can show a million real world examples. Facts don't matter to left wingers.

Anyone in the center around here is considered a communist, not surprising considering the environment.

The only people who continue to ignore the facts are the GOP. You probably believe that climate change is made up as well, haha.

Savage805

blueberry in tomato soup
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    paradise, ATX
    Why is that your decision to make for anyone other than your grandma? (And only if you're paying her bills)

It's not! And I am glad, I could not handle it.

I'm glad to see Sugar Land chime in. I'd also be very interested in benenglish and matefrio thoughts on the topic. But I can understand if they would rather not comment.

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    I guess that's why people travel from the north and south to visit out hospitals.

davis_mirror_intl_ig_rev_616.jpg

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    pretty much what happened to our grandmum last month. the good ole gal lived to 99.5 years old. Her son (my uncle) made the call either way. It was never up to a government death panel.

This is the level if ignorance we are working with here? The death panel quip from Sara Palin....good grief..

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angee
    Top Bottom