• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flyingswords

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Smiths Station AL
    It's probably a good thing, for the public at large, that a lot of Linux distros are coming along and really improving their game on the GUI side of things, making it that much more within reach of the average consumer.

I'm primarily on Windows 7 at home, and 8.1 at work, though I've been using VM's and VPS' a lot more lately. I foresee myself probably moving to Fedora, locked down as much as possible with SELinux, Mac for some of the things I normally do on PC, and maybe turning things 180 degrees from what I do now by using a Windows VM setup for the programs I can't get on any other platform.

well up until a week or two ago that Linux Mint was hacked and a backdoored ISO was on their site and was downloaded quite a few times
    Venture Surplus ad

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    OK, question: I am a lite user - email, letters, spreadsheets, searches, photo processing and storage, et al. I am getting along just fine on Win 7. Would I really gain anything by going to 10? And would I loose anything with 10?

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    OK, question: I am a lite user - email, letters, spreadsheets, searches, photo processing and storage, et al. I am getting along just fine on Win 7. Would I really gain anything by going to 10? And would I loose anything with 10?
    Gain: Nothing of value to you
    Lose: Your privacy

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Yep don't upgrade. If anything, get a different OS like OS X or Linux since your a light user. Ubuntu and Mint are great at being user friendly and OS X is extremely easy to use. Love all of my Macs and the little gaming I do on them works flawlessly with the top end (for Macs) video cards that I ordered them with.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Yep as soon as I updated to windows 10 the black chopper started flying over head and I started to get abducted.

I updated when windows 10 came out and as far as I can tell I am not getting any more unwanted email spam phone calls or anything else. So if they are stealing my info I don;t know how they are using it or selling it.
    I did fallow all the info out there on how to turn off the stuff that seems intrusive.

If you ask me the guys that say OMG sky com is here windows 10 will devour your soul are the guys that read on the internet how bad it is and never update to it because of the tin foil hat.

With that said. If windows 7 does everything you want well then ride that horse till it dies. If you want the latest and greatest new whizzbang thinggy micbobber then sooner or latter you will need to upgrade. Will it be soon. nope to many people are still using the old ver of the software so there is a market.

Gain: Nothing of value to you
    Lose: Your privacy

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    you lose your privacy on cell phones pretty much. LOL and those win 10 telemetry options can be turned off and kept off if one knows the ways to them
    False. It has been proven time and again flipping the switches does not stop Win10 from "phoning home.". MS is not being clear about what is in the payload either.

Yep as soon as I updated to windows 10 the black chopper started flying over head and I started to get abducted.

I updated when windows 10 came out and as far as I can tell I am not getting any more unwanted email spam phone calls or anything else. So if they are stealing my info I don;t know how they are using it or selling it.
    I did fallow all the info out there on how to turn off the stuff that seems intrusive.

If you ask me the guys that say OMG sky com is here windows 10 will devour your soul are the guys that read on the internet how bad it is and never update to it because of the tin foil hat.

With that said. If windows 7 does everything you want well then ride that horse till it dies. If you want the latest and greatest new whizzbang thinggy micbobber then sooner or latter you will need to upgrade. Will it be soon. nope to many people are still using the old ver of the software so there is a market.
    Ignorance is bliss, isn't it?

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I would like to know what info Windows 10 has stolen from me ?

False. It has been proven time and again flipping the switches does not stop Win10 from "phoning home.". MS is not being clear about what is in the payload either.

Ignorance is bliss, isn't it?

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    well apparently noting as I am not getting junk email or phone or mail spam so what they get is not very important. If they do collect anything when all the toggles are off and you run anti spy stuff.

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    Or, in slightly different words, "Hey, I don't care if someone is listening to my phone calls and peeking in my windows at night, as long as they don't knock, moan, or breathe hard enough for me to hear them."

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    A link to that was posted on page 5 and is what fired up the conversation again :)

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I have still not seen that MS is doing that. If they were ya then get pissed. But as far as I can tell and as far as any info posted there is nothing being transmitted or listened to or spied on. If I told the guy that fixed my house hey look in the window when you want if I have this light on and he only looked when the light was on what do I have the right to be mad about. Consider the window 10 toggles that light switch. and hey if you want more protection well then close the blinds.

If you let windows 10 into your house and dont turn off the lights and close the blinds you get what you asked for.

Or, in slightly different words, "Hey, I don't care if someone is listening to my phone calls and peeking in my windows at night, as long as they don't knock, moan, or breathe hard enough for me to hear them."

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    The point is MS is capturing telemetry data with an unknown payload, DESPITE turning off all the options. Whether you choose to believe it or not, blissfully ignore it with your head in the sand, or whatever - Win10 (and other Windows software) is perhaps/likely doing things contrary to what it states. The only thing the greater community (and IT directors such as myself) want to know, is what is heading out the door and why? That's it - give us the details and let us decide.

Here's some light reading: https://archive.is/QFL8e

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    or perhaps 2 ways to look at something blissful ignorance or no tin foil hat.

The point is MS is capturing telemetry data with an unknown payload, DESPITE turning off all the options. Whether you choose to believe it or not, blissfully ignore it with your head in the sand, or whatever - Win10 (and other Windows software) is perhaps/likely doing things contrary to what it states. The only thing the greater community (and IT directors such as myself) want to know, is what is heading out the door and why? That's it - give us the details and let us decide.

Here's some light reading: https://archive.is/QFL8e

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    LOL. I bet you're also the guy who thinks there really IS a Nigerian prince ready to send you millions of dollars, and all he needs is some money to pay for the transaction fees.

We get it, you drink the Kool Aid.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Far cry from reality in a Nigerian prince and not being able to stop the invasive stuff in the operating system known as windows 10.

Dragunov

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Burnet County TX
    I have still not seen that MS is doing that. If they were ya then get pissed. But as far as I can tell and as far as any info posted there is nothing being transmitted or listened to or spied on. If I told the guy that fixed my house hey look in the window when you want if I have this light on and he only looked when the light was on what do I have the right to be mad about. Consider the window 10 toggles that light switch. and hey if you want more protection well then close the blinds.

If you let windows 10 into your house and dont turn off the lights and close the blinds you get what you asked for.
    Then you are fooling yourself. I tore apart Win10 last August, after downloading it to a spare laptop. I can tell you, if you know how, you can completely disable/remove the data mining capabilities. The problem is that it snitches you out to "mommy", and re-downloads the crap you removed, unless you never go on line again, and it constantly nags you that "Windows can't find important data files".

We have been "data-mined" since Win95, all the way to Win 8.1 but the method used is easily overcome, and none of my computers can currently "snitch" on me. Currently however, there is no way to stop Win10 from doing it, unless you tear apart the O/S, stitch it back to working condition, and NEVER go on-line with it again..... NOT worth the trouble.

That particular machine is now on Win7Pro, with all traces of Win10 removed.

I guess I'll be going to Linux Mint, after Win 8.1 is rendered useless.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom