• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    We just upgraded everyone at work from XP to 7. There's a little time to figure it all out still, lol
    I'm sure the enterprise editions will be able to turn all that stuff off. If not then no corp will ever upgrade to it. I don't tihnk it will be too long before we see custom editions that break all the EULAs :laughing:

My big gripe is you cant turn off Cortana fully. Even when off she hogs up 19megs of ram.
    There's probably a service you can disable that will prevent it from loading.
    Hurley's Gold

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Enterprises are more likely to use it, especially the distributed upgrade capability and metered connection throttling.

dmessy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2015
    Anyone running a Surface or Venue or similar with Mint or Ubuntu?

I'm more concerned about the shift to subscription based than the privacy. I also want my data local. I'll deal w backups/offsite myself.
    That's the beauty of Puppy Linux, you load it onto a thumb drive and boot to that drive. It runs off less than 1/2 Gb of RAM. If at some time you want to put it on the HHD, you can set up a dual partition, leaving what ever version of Windows you have intact. Ubuntu and Mint are just more bloated (but not in a bad way) versions of the same Linux kernal Puppy is based off of.

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview and Getting Started.htm

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    That's the beauty of Puppy Linux, you load it onto a thumb drive and boot to that drive. It runs off less than 1/2 Gb of RAM. If at some time you want to put it on the HHD, you can set up a dual partition, leaving what ever version of Windows you have intact. Ubuntu and Mint are just more bloated (but not in a bad way) versions of the same Linux kernal Puppy is based off of.

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview and Getting Started.htm

Does Puppy have all the touch drivers for the tablet?

cncfan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2015
    Houston
    I have been using 10 since it was released, I also turned off all the "share" features I could find. I have yet to see a advertisement in my start menu. So far I like it.

dmessy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2015
    There are Linux touch drivers available that work, just download them(for free) and install. I don't (and won't) have a Windows built machine to test Puppy on so I don't know if this particular distro includes them. The only stumbling block one may encounter when trying Puppy is the secure boot built into the machine itself. Some models allow it to be turned off, others don't so.

thralldad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Central TX
    I just put Lubuntu 15.10 on a CF-72 Panasonic Toughbook. P4 1.8 w/ 1 G RAM. It's pretty easy to set up and it runs great! I put an old M$ Trips and Streets GPS on it with Foxtrot GPS and it's awesome! All the features work including the touch-screen.

Tcruse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Corinth
    If you only use your machine for very basic operations, mainly as a browser, you should be able to find several Linux based solutions. However, if you really want to use your machine, Win 10 is a much better solution. Turn off the features you do not like, it is easy. Certainly, a big improvement over Win 7 and Win 8.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I loaded Mint on an old laptop today. Was pretty quick and easy and everything seems to work. Gonna see how well LIBRE office suite works.

So far this evening I'm liking it a lot better than 7 and light years more than my sons tablet with 8 on it.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If you only use your machine for very basic operations, mainly as a browser, you should be able to find several Linux based solutions. However, if you really want to use your machine, Win 10 is a much better solution.
    Conflating "compatible" with "useful" does a disservice to folks seeking security from the broad range of security threats, including those deliberately baked into OSes by their manufacturers. Someone who "really wants to use their machine" will be well-served by many Linux solutions; folks who are stuck with using Windows-only software dictated by employers or business practices are in a different boat. Neither OS is better or worse, more or less serious; it is simply the case that one will be better suited to any particular set of circumstances and requirements.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Like I said before, I don't mind Windows, but they're insane if they think I'm moving to subscription licensing for office and windows in the future.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    I run a Puppy distro as well from CD and save anything I choose to download to an attached USB 1tb drive. This machine is scrapped together and doesn't even have a hard drive installed.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The Jolla is one of those crowd-funded startups. Supposedly, I should get mine by the end of December. However, also supposedly, there should have been two smaller production runs already delivered in October and November. I've looked and I haven't found an unboxing vid from a real user on YouTube.

This does not bode well. I'm going to head over to YT and look again: thanks for the reminder. If I've been snookered into buying vaporware, I will not be happy.

At least LabRadar didn't charge me money to lie to me for a couple of years about their initial delivery dates...but that's another story.

ETA: As of a couple of weeks after I paid for my unit, they went into bankruptcy. I've most likely lost my money.

ETA2: My memory sucks pretty bad; I actually ordered several months ago. Since I ordered directly from the company instead of as a part of the initial crowd-funded startup, I'm theoretically in a better class in the Finnish bankruptcy courts. I still think my chance of getting back my £299 is essentially zero.

Bummer of a way to start the day.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom