• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    this is why I will never convert to this.
    I guess I'm going to MAC or another system at some point

excerpt "By default Windows 10 Home is allowed to control your bandwidth usage, install any software it wants whenever it wants (without providing detailed information on what these updates do), display ads in the Start Menu (currently it has been limited to app advertisements), send your hardware details and any changes you make to Microsoft and even log your browser history and keystrokes which the Windows End User License Agreement (EULA) states you allow Microsoft to use for analysis"

whole article
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk...oft-confirms-unstoppable-windows-10-tracking/
    Military Camp

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I am still on 7 and plan to stay there. It is easy, I already know it, it works fine for me, and I am old, meaning it doesn't need to last for 50 years, LOL. Why switch?

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Free isn't always free. We only have one 2 Windows computers. Neither gets used very much. Hopefully, Apple won't follow MS direction.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I'm thinking of moving the stuff at the house over to Linux. Haven't looked at all the different distros in a while. Need to figure out which one will cause me the least headache with the kids/wife usage.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Any suggestions for an OS for a Netbook? Have one that is really slow with Windows 7 on it. Rarely gets used for that reason.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I have to say, I'm fine with Win10. It's been a good experience so far.

I DID have to go in and turn off all the "download from anyone, anytime," and "share everything with everyone, everywhere" stuff, but past that it's been a much better experience that Win8.

I think they FINALLY got the Start Menu right.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Ya for the most part Win10 is ok after you turn off the 20 privacy issues they auto turn on if you use the standard install.

My big gripe is you cant turn off Cortana fully. Even when off she hogs up 19megs of ram.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Ya for the most part Win10 is ok after you turn off the 20 privacy issues they auto turn on if you use the standard install.

My big gripe is you cant turn off Cortana fully. Even when off she hogs up 19megs of ram.

I'm actually finding her useful. More useful than Siri on my phone on my desk. I'm getting very used to voice control.

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    I'm actually finding her useful. More useful than Siri on my phone on my desk. I'm getting very used to voice control.
    I've disabled many of the privacy issues, But I'm really digging Windows 10. I like linking my xbox wirelessly to my computer's hard drive for movies, pictures, etc. Having all Windows 10 devices communicating and working together under one roof is useful too. My wife using the xbox as a blueray player, but me watching TV upstairs via my computer's connection to my xbox downstairs has been really useful too. It's allowed me to drop satellite completely (xbox + OTA channels + SlingTV + windows = watching TV in any room of the house without paying a cable bill :D).

dmessy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2015
    Any suggestions for an OS for a Netbook? Have one that is really slow with Windows 7 on it. Rarely gets used for that reason.
    Puppy Linux only uses less than 1/2 Gb for its total operating system (OS) and can run off a thumb drive. After trying it for a while, I installed it to the HDD (hard disk drive). Now , I get a working browser in 26 seconds after I hit the button using a 12 year old computer with 1 Gb RAM and slow processor. Pages load as fast as the internet will allow. I find it lacks nothing in comparison to Windows 7.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Anyone running a Surface or Venue or similar with Mint or Ubuntu?

I'm more concerned about the shift to subscription based than the privacy. I also want my data local. I'll deal w backups/offsite myself.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    anibal79
    Top Bottom