• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • @TX_1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    You can blame Hernando de Soto. He brought them over in the 1530s when he was exploring Texas.
    The feral hogs today are not same as the original. They have inbred with domestic hogs turned out or escaped, they come in all shapes and sizes. The long snout is still there in most but not all. They are a plague.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    The feral hogs today are not same as the original. They have inbred with domestic hogs turned out or escaped, they come in all shapes and sizes. The long snout is still there in most but not all. They are a plague.
    There is almost no discernible genetic difference between domestic pigs and Eurasian wild pigs.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    There is almost no discernible genetic difference between a Berkshire, Hampshire, and a Duroc. They sure taste different, all good, but different. A couple of snips to the DNA codes and can get Manbearpig.

1709138278244.png

dvor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2016
    PROBLEM IS MOST LAND IN TEXAS IS PRIVATELY OWEDAND TEXANS LIKE IT THAT WAY IF YOU DESIRE MORE LAND THAT IS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC MOVE TO ANOTHER STATE!
    Even in the crappy state I moved from 17 years ago used tax dollars to purchase open land. If the state purchased and it was hunt-able they had to give you access.

roadkill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Even in the crappy state I moved from 17 years ago used tax dollars to purchase open land. If the state purchased and it was hunt-able they had to give you access.
    Till the environmentalists start going after and trying deem it wilderness research area or turn it into a monument or a number of other designations that prevent motorized access and maybe hunting access. Just look at all the land grab issues happening out west on the state and fed public land. With private land they have no voice in what goes on on that land. We’re better off private in that regard.

NikelATX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2023
    Round Rock Texas
    I’ll reinforce the general consensus here, if you want to deer hunt in Texas you either need to be wealthy or well connected. In other words you need to access private land which always comes at a cost. Technically you could go try National Forest in East Texas along with a thousand other people but you’re basically in a giant outdoor shooting range with trigger happy drunks at that point.

RevolverGuy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2013
    I usualy make some hunters mad when I say this, but there is no such thing as deer hunting in Texas.

You spend all spring and summer setting out feeders to fatten the little buggers up and also get them accustomed to coming to the blind you spent more time and money on than you should have. .
    Then when deer season arrives, you harvest.

I usualy make some hunters mad when I say this, but there is no such thing as deer hunting in Texas.

You spend all spring and summer setting out feeders to fatten the little buggers up and also get them accustomed to coming to the blind you spent more time and money on than you should have. .
    Then when deer season arrives, you harvest.

Agree 100%.

It’s not hunting, it’s deer shooting.

I ACTUALLY hunted most of my life on the family ranch, which I had almost completely to myself with enough room to roam. No feeders, no cams, just temporary blinds made myself with scrap lumber.

Sadly, we were forced to sell it off.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Plus, there's no such thing as 'Dove Hunting' - It's Dove Shooting.

Which, btw, I was once an avid dove shooter...now, I feed them Black Oil Sunflower Seeds using 3 different bird feeders and wouldn't harm a feather on any of them...this is what happens when you grow older, you can't bear to kill anything any longer.

Yes, Bluejays/American Goldfinches/ (in the winter) Carolina Chickadees/Tufted Tit-Mice (ok, mouse...) even Red Bellied Woodpeckers love the sunflower seeds and a few more I've not listed.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom