• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    THE HUMOR OF YOUR POST WENT RIGHT OVER HIS HEAD FOR A SUPPOSEDLY COLLEGE EDUCATED PERSON HE'S NOT REAL SMART!
    Spend your $$$ on beef, you'll get more meat and have more time to go fishing. Or buy a bass boat, bay boat, or flats skiff. My neighbor's dog is damn near as big as the deer that roam through our neighborhood.
    VISIT SAN ANTONIO THE DEER ROAM THE CITY STREETS!
    Military Camp

Dakar34

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2024
    Houston
    When Texas joined the US, part of the deal was that the Feds got none of the land. Most of the west was acquired (essentially) by conquest, and since the Feds did the conquering they got large amounts of the land. That's why there's so much public land in the west but not in Texas.

Coon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2023
    Montgomery
    Thank you to those of you who were helpful. I think I'll look out of state for hunts.
    I hunt in the Sam Houston National Forest. I usually kill a deer every year that I hunt (health has limited my ability to hunt as much as I'd like). I usually avoid hunting the opening weekend because it's very crowded. The deer I killed last year weighed just under 200#. The "tiny" deer that these guys are talking about are the hill country deer or the "airport deer" that are inbred. As for the whole baiting issue, it's not legal in the national forest, or most public land in Texas. You can hunt deer in Texas for reasonable money, you just have to look. Check out Texas Parks and Wildlife website. 20231105_180419_resized.jpg
    I weigh close to 300#, so that isn't a little deer.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    I hunt in the Sam Houston National Forest. I usually kill a deer every year that I hunt (health has limited my ability to hunt as much as I'd like). I usually avoid hunting the opening weekend because it's very crowded. The deer I killed last year weighed just under 200#. The "tiny" deer that these guys are talking about are the hill country deer or the "airport deer" that are inbred. As for the whole baiting issue, it's not legal in the national forest, or most public land in Texas. You can hunt deer in Texas for reasonable money, you just have to look. Check out Texas Parks and Wildlife website. View attachment 436564
    +1...When I first started deer hunting (1986), a buddy from work invited me to hunt the SHNF. Back then it was free. Just needed a hunting license. I believe you need a $48 permit, now. The deer we took usually were about 100-115 pounds but we did see a couple of guys take some really nice bucks that were about 120-130 lb. range. The further you walked into the woods, the better your hunting would get. I never looked into it but my buddy said there were other public lands to hunt deer, etc. through out the state. He did say that there weren't too many locations, though.

Coon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2023
    Montgomery
    I’ll be the first to admit that the hunting opportunities in Texas are far less than most other states. I just think people who bitch about Texas hunting are too lazy to do what it takes to hunt here. I also laugh when I hear people make fun of Texans using bait. Texas isn’t the only state where people bait deer.

35 Whelen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    North Texas
    IF A PERSON HAS THE PROPERTY AND MEANS RAISING A STEER FOR BUTCHERING IS A GOOD RETURN ON MONEY SPENT!
    I raise cattle on my own land. When I sell a steer at the sale barn for $1.75 per lb., I get $1.75 per pound for the meat, for the bones, for the hoofs, the hide and the shit that's still I'm him when they weigh him. When you butcher your own all of that goes to waste. Raising and butchering your own is a money losing deal. That's why the rule at our his is "Sell beef, eat venison.".

For those of you who think all Texas deer are small, that's incorrect. The deer in Central Texas are small for sure, but some are quite large depending on the area of the state. The whitetail I shot this year dressed at exactly 140 lbs. according to the 165 lb. scales hanging from the truss in my shop. Two seasons ago I shot a basket-racked 7 point buck that, dressed, soundly bottomed out the same set of scales.
    IMG_20231124_175744836.jpg

Last edited:

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Some of us hunt for the actual sport of hunting and not so much to put meat in the freezer. That's just a bonus a good one but just a bonus. I give 75% of my takes to family members.
    Unless your walking lots of miles and stalking it aint much of an experience in my book.

Coon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2023
    Montgomery
    Some of us hunt for the actual sport of hunting and not so much to put meat in the freezer. That's just a bonus a good one but just a bonus. I give 75% of my takes to family members.
    Unless your walking lots of miles and stalking it aint much of an experience in my book.
    Each of us has his own book. I can't walk much these days, but sitting in a spot in the woods as the sun rises and watching the world wake up can be a great experience if you just watch and listen.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I hunt in the Sam Houston National Forest. I usually kill a deer every year that I hunt (health has limited my ability to hunt as much as I'd like). I usually avoid hunting the opening weekend because it's very crowded. The deer I killed last year weighed just under 200#. The "tiny" deer that these guys are talking about are the hill country deer or the "airport deer" that are inbred. As for the whole baiting issue, it's not legal in the national forest, or most public land in Texas. You can hunt deer in Texas for reasonable money, you just have to look. Check out Texas Parks and Wildlife website. View attachment 436564

Men like you I would want to learn to hunt from, even though I'm in my 40s thats' what I have always wanted to do was go out into the forest and walk a few miles and actually stalk and hunt a deer. I just have no idea what I am doing.

remanifest

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2024
    San Antonio
    That is one heck of a deer. Thank you. I'll check out the Sam Houston National Forest this coming season.

remanifest

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2024
    San Antonio
    I raise cattle on my own land. When I sell a steer at the sale barn for $1.75 per lb., I get $1.75 per pound for the meat, for the bones, for the hoofs, the hide and the shit that's still I'm him when they weigh him. When you butcher your own all of that goes to waste. Raising and butchering your own is a money losing deal. That's why the rule at our his is "Sell beef, eat venison.".

For those of you who think all Texas deer are small, that's incorrect. The deer in Central Texas are small for sure, but some are quite large depending on the area of the state. The whitetail I shot this year dressed at exactly 140 lbs. according to the 165 lb. scales hanging from the truss in my shop. Two seasons ago I shot a basket-racked 7 point buck that, dressed, soundly bottomed out the same set of scales. View attachment 436589
    Excellent. Do you mind sharing where you harvested this deer?

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    OP, there are Axis deer running all over San Antonio Antonio area. Find somewhere to get on some property.
    You may have to resort to archery or a crossbow just because not everyone likes guns. You can hunt Axis deer all year around they are none native critters and most people say they are taste better than Whitetail. I don't know of that I haven't killed one.

Top Bottom