APOD Firearms

I Didn't Beat the Ride - Illegal Knife + CHL + Concealed Handgun = Jail + Charges

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I Didn't Beat the Ride - Illegal Knife + CHL + Concealed Handgun = Jail + Charg

Well, I just read over 60 pages of this and found it interesting.

However and no offense to the arrestee, I feel this could all have been avoided. Some way, I get the feeling he did this to test the law. The charges were dismissed but at what cost? What was proven? Did he win the case? A civil suit will not be productive since in most venues, LEO are immune from civil judgements over interpretation of the law arrests.

But the root cause was the carrying of a knife that for all purposes and intent, is unusual to carry. BTW: I worked a case many years ago where a motorcyclist was carrying a long fixed blade knife. His bike w as hit broadside by a car at an intersection and the knife ripped the bikers interstines pretty badly. What did the OP plan on doing with that knife that a folding knife would not have been able to do?

The OP might be the nicest guy we could ever meet. But he did something that, to me at least, showed bad judgement and appears he was looking for a conflict with the law.

Now when is his right to carry restored? He also has an arrest on his record, even though the charge was dismissed. In many states, not sure about TX, the CCW application asks for ALL arrests, including those that have been expunged. His headaches may not be over.

So much fail in this post.
    Capitol Armory ad

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I know I'm late to the party, but hey, I'm here.

First, Thank You Matefrio for having the fortitude to both start and end this and I do hope you seal the deal with further legal action as was done in Columbia, MO when the same foolishness happened there.

Second, for the record, it's a moo point - like a cow's opinion, it doesn't matter.

(How's that for a first post? - hehehe)

Welcome to the forum, thanks.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    You're just catching the tail end of it, though. This started over a year ago, so a little historical context might help:

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...an-carry-illegal-knife-club-2.html#post340557

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...8912-b-o-w-i-e-club-edcing-illegal-knife.html

You may read all of this and still come back to the same conclusion, but as Paul Harvey famously said: "And now you know... the rest of the story"

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

However and no offense to the arrestee, I feel this could all have been avoided. Some way, I get the feeling he did this to test the law. The charges were dismissed but at what cost? What was proven? Did he win the case? A civil suit will not be productive since in most venues, LEO are immune from civil judgements over interpretation of the law arrests.

But the root cause was the carrying of a knife that for all purposes and intent, is unusual to carry. BTW: I worked a case many years ago where a motorcyclist was carrying a long fixed blade knife. His bike w as hit broadside by a car at an intersection and the knife ripped the bikers interstines pretty badly. What did the OP plan on doing with that knife that a folding knife would not have been able to do?

The OP might be the nicest guy we could ever meet. But he did something that, to me at least, showed bad judgement and appears he was looking for a conflict with the law.

Now when is his right to carry restored? He also has an arrest on his record, even though the charge was dismissed. In many states, not sure about TX, the CCW application asks for ALL arrests, including those that have been expunged. His headaches may not be over.

Cool story, bro.

Soldiernurse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Cedar Park, TX
    My goal was to make this a low risk venture for everyone including myself. What I've done, so far, fell short.

To further this I need to move forward, and not get distracted by doing the same thing over and over again for different DAs or ADAs as my lawyer gets rich expcting a different outcome..

To that end, for now, I don't plan to carry unless traveling. But I plan on not wasting the efforts so far either.
    You got your CHL back (reinstated) right? Hope so!

stepnej

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    <sheep! sheep!>

071910_capitol_zpsfd6f14e5.gif

Fixed it for ya! :cool:

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Unfortunately I don't have time to read all 65 pages of posts. Would someone give us a precis of what has transpired and where Matefrio stands today?

dsukid

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Amarillo
    Based on this concept. Then CHL + Concealed Pistol = Open carry of 2nd pistol? Same concept as carry of illegal knife same 46.02 section right?

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Nope, other parts of the law address the concealed requirement of the pistol. No mention of how to carry open or concealed of knives though.

Read though the original many months back through a reference on another forum. Never really got a chance to say what was on my mind at the time: Were an educator searching for something for children to memorize to embed the concept of freedom in young minds, they could do no better than to chose your words in this post:

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...aled-handgun-=-jail-charges-5.html#post636014

A belated, but with the utmost respect, Well Done!, sir.

Top Bottom