• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Portals

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    round rock
    Lo all. I am new and looking for a shotgun for home defense. What are your recommendations?
    I mean everything - or anything you believe is worthy. Consider me a blank!
    Thanks!

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Consider a few options like entry level no frills base level gun. You can take a walmart special and cut it to 18.5" with a pipe cutter and add a fiberoptic front sight and extended mag tube and be out the door for $250-300.
    For $350 you get into the import "tactical" guns and mosberg riot guns.
    Then you got a ton of high end supercool tactical guns that cost as much an an AR15.
    My choice for a shotty is a remington 3.5" mag with a 11.5" barrel And fiber front sight. (yes it's NFA).
    The thunder ranch shotty looks cool but I think the break on the end is fugly.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip. If you put a light on it, get a solid metal clamp and don't bother with anything made out of plastic...

Portals

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    round rock
    Thanks!!
    Good start.
    If I cut down the barrel, will I need to treat it (blue) or just use it as is?
    Pistol Grip? Won't that make it more difficult to control?
    Probably just need practice...
    I don't need show, just firepower. But don't want it to go thru the whole house.

NFA? What happens when the cops show up?

12G or 20G? Other suggestions?

These are a real help.
    TNX!!

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    You can blue, high temp krylon or leave bare as you like.

A pistol grip is a wonderful thing if you can and are willing to practice

You got show and firepower and you can clear the whole house with a full gun plus a extra handfull of rounds.

when the cops show up show them your paperwork.

12G all the way. Tactical buck kicks less than 20 gauge buck anyway.

Your not asking for a gun that can shoot slugs at 150 yards. There is no need to spend the money on one that will do that.

Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    Pistol grip is a personal choice. Some people will laugh at you and tell you that you can't control it and that the extra manueverability isn't worth it. I like the pistol grip. Like anything, you have to practice with it. I messed my knee up and I'm not very quick on my feet. I like to be able to quickly move my shotgun. I am still pretty strong, so I don't mind the extra difficulty in controlling the shotgun.

I think all I need now is a light and I'll be good with it. I added a fiber optic sight since the picture.

12GMossberg500.jpg

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    My prefered gun is the Benelli Nova Tactical 12ga, but shop around and see what feels good. Remington, Mossberg, FN, and Benelli all make good guns.

xstuntman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    west Texas
    Loved my 870 Express build. Parts availability for 870's are everywhere, even here in Hooterville.

My next shotgun project will be a Maverick 88 with cut down barrel (by me), flashlight mount, and Tru-Glo sights.

I prefer to use the Tru Glo sights if the shotgun has a vent rib and really love 'em.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Care to elaborate?
    Does the name Joe Horn ring a bell?

About Joe Horn: Yes, Ever talk to him or hear his story now after the fact?

Slew of reasons:
    Kick Hard - Less likely to practice and harder to control.
    Range time - Hard to find a place to practice shooting anything but clays
    Heavy - Why all the extra weight?
    Limited Rounds - What 5 - 9 rounds? Why not 30?
    Loud - BS about driving the BG out of the house with a rack, you just told them where you are and lost a round to BS movie taticts.
    Catastrophic Fails - when a pump gun (ever see someone short stroke one?) or auto gets jammed up it's hell. Who here has practiced unjamming one if they're used for HD?
    Wrong choice of shells - Most folks think birdshot will work or 000 buckshot deer rounds are the best. How about slugs?

I could go on. #1 is lack of training though. If you've used one enough you'll know it's not ideal for HD.

I'm recommending the SUB-2000 rifle and a glock pistol for HD.

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...guns/27157-kel-tec-sub-2000-home-defense.html

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    About Joe Horn: Yes, Ever talk to him or hear his story now after the fact?
    No. Would like to hear it if you don't hull him out.
    Limited Rounds - Why 5 - 9 rounds? Why not 30?
    Why wouldn't 1-3 rounds of scatter shot disable a perp?
    Loud - BS about driving the BG out of the house with a rack, you just told them where you are and lost a round to BS movie taticts.
    You're right, I can't argue that.

Catastrophic Fails - when a pump gun (ever see someone short stroke one?) or auto gets jammed up it's hell. Who here has practiced unjamming one if they're used for HD?
    Isn't a Kel-Tec 9 an auto?

Wrong choice of shells - Most folks think birdshot will work or 000 buckshot deer rounds are the best. How about slugs?
    So why not recommend the correct shot/slug? Slugs are a single POI, shot is not.

I'd love a Kel-Tec 9, but income doesn't allow it. A properly setup shottie covers the bases in CQB, and is "cheap".

Just having a conversation. It's not confrontational with you.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    First, I have practiced with my Mossberg 500 and I have never had it jam. Modern pump shotguns are very reliable, and it's rare to hear of one suffering a "catastrophic failure!"

Secondly, there is the issue of overpenetration with smaller handgun rounds. A fast, slender bullet will go thorugh drywall and siding like it's not there, and into your neighbor's house. Shotgun pellets have a good mix of size and velocity without as much fear of overpenetration.

Thirdly, there is a matter of accuracy with a handgun round. I'll take the spread pattern of a 12-gauge any day. And if you're really interested, compare one 9mm bullet against the shot out of a 3" 00-buckshot magnum round. It's about nine times the lead heading downrange at the bad guy!

Fourthly, excessive recoil? Ever shot a .44 Magnum? It's no worse, and with a shotgun you have two hands on the weapon to control it. Plus there are numerous gauges to choose from if it is an issue. And don't tell us that .410 isn't capable of stopping a threat, I work with someone who used one to kill an armed intruder in his home.

Fifthly, actually, I know several people who have successfully defended themselves using a shotgun, so all this bullshit that they are not up for the job is just that...bullshit! And if they were so shitty for that role, then why do the police still use them?

Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, a shotgun makes a great home defense weapon and is the preferred weapon of choice for many. Get one that feels right to you, practice with it (I also like the maneuverability of a pistol-gripped shotgun) and let the bad guy do all the worrying!

Cheers! M2

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Cardwellfamily5%
    Top Bottom