• ...and so much more!
  • Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Matefrio - please keep up with the updates. I apologize for getting caught up in the bs. I'm trying to keep it at least related to the bills in between updates.

BC - I don't know exactly how this works, but here's the summary of my understanding:

The state has a tax-funded education fund. Some how or another, colleges like mine tap into this fund to help run thier campus along with normal tuition fees. I don't know the full story, but right now we're going through budget cuts and are in a hiring freeze and it has something to do with a cutback of state funding.
    Hurley's Gold

Phoneguy

Proud American and Infidel since 1968
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    North Ft Worth
    Listen all.
    We'll get open carry. It's going to happen. The anti-2A crowd in the legislature can't stop it.
    With regards to Constitutional Carry, I fear that it will never happen. There are pretty much 2 things that would stop Constitutional Carry; money and politics. But that's all things, isn't it.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Phoneguy,

That you believe that we will get OC is GOOD to hear.

Unfortunately, I fear that you are 100% correct about Constitutional Carry.

My fingers are crossed that we SOON get a vote on OC & it shows up on Abbott's desk to be signed.

yours, satx

RCK1999

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Looks like SB17 and HB1651 are just about the same. Interestingly, both make mention of "SECURE" open carry. I just quickly skimmed both bills, and as of now, "secure" seems to be holster or other means of retention. No specific mentions of "levels of retention". Did anyone see anything different????? (I couldn't bring myself to really read both bills in detail.)

On campus carry, I'll bet the big debate will be on the "opt out" clause that may or may not make the cut.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Matefrio - please keep up with the updates. I apologize for getting caught up in the bs. I'm trying to keep it at least related to the bills in between updates.

BC - I don't know exactly how this works, but here's the summary of my understanding:

The state has a tax-funded education fund. Some how or another, colleges like mine tap into this fund to help run thier campus along with normal tuition fees. I don't know the full story, but right now we're going through budget cuts and are in a hiring freeze and it has something to do with a cutback of state funding.
    Wow. Never heard of this. Wildly dangerous for a private college to directly accept state money.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Looks like SB17 and HB1651 are just about the same. Interestingly, both make mention of "SECURE" open carry. I just quickly skimmed both bills, and as of now, "secure" seems to be holster or other means of retention. No specific mentions of "levels of retention". Did anyone see anything different????? (I couldn't bring myself to really read both bills in detail.)

On campus carry, I'll bet the big debate will be on the "opt out" clause that may or may not make the cut.
    The language I heard was belt or shoulder holster. The democrats are pushing for retention holster. Republicans might compromise on that.

RCK1999

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    I hope they keep it at no specific level of retention.

BC - PM inbound

If my memory serves me, the OC bill that died in the 83rd Congress included a "level 2" requirement. One of the issues (that was never brought up as it died in committee) was the definition of level 2. Seems at the time that there was no industry standard and no clear legislative definition. I can live with belt or shoulder holster. No Mexican for me :)

roadkill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    I hope they keep it at no specific level of retention.

BC - PM inbound

As long as they say holster designed for a handgun. Retention level I'd rather not be mandated. Just don't want carry in the pants sans holster or this ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424450525.436741.jpg

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Id be fine if they mandated retention adequate to secure the holster or something like that. You have a floppy holster and drop your gun you get a small fine. I am dreading seeing so many lousy holsters. I also contend most people cannot draw their guns worth a hoot so with level 2 retention holsters they might be better carrying a ball bat.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Id be fine if they mandated retention adequate to secure the holster or something like that. You have a floppy holster and drop your gun you get a small fine. I am dreading seeing so many lousy holsters. I also contend most people cannot draw their guns worth a hoot so with level 2 retention holsters they might be better carrying a ball bat.

LOL. Hopefully they don't go crazy and get down to retention level requirements and such; but I'm not holding my breath that the anti's won't amend it to the point of being useless.

I'll wager the SERPA sightings will skyrocket if the bill passes. And yes, people won't practice and end up giving themselves giant wedgies if they have to react to a threat.

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    There is some new blood here that's doing a fare job of trolling the old folks when they should just be reported and ignored.

The old blood regulars here do their fair share of trolling. It might be less obvious, but it's there and it's constant.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....

Publicly-funded colleges and private colleges that receive state funding shouldn't have the opt-out ability. If a private college wants to go without any tax money help, then they get to choose.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    That's the way feds do it to the states. I don't see why the state would do it any different with this.

Do private schools get away with different teaching/testing guidelines because of this same issue?

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    breakingcontact; all,

Does anyone have a clue about what is meant (in this case) by "retention holster"?
    (My 1950s US Border Patrol issue holster for a 1917 S&W .45ACP revolver has a strap over the hammer to hold the revolver in the holster. - Is that what is meant by "retention"???)
    OR
    Is the legislature talking about the so-called "snatch-free" holsters that once were somewhat popular with some LE agencies??

yours, satx

Last edited:

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    I don't think the legislature has set a definition for retention levels. I'm not even sure that we have truly standardized the definition of the retention levels.

If they keep the retention level language they will have to define what they mean.

Top Bottom