• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rock Torrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2021
    Tx
    An ID is not required but selling a handgun to someone under 21 is a felony.

If he was 17, I sure as hell would have asked for identification to protect myself. Illegal to sell to someone under 21 even if they produce a fake ID, but at least then you have some protection. I was surprised that a local Bar wouldn't let in a 60 year old if they didn't have a license, because they needed to be able to "prove" you were over 21.
    Gun Zone Deals

Rock Torrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2021
    Tx
    The last person I would try to steal from is someone with a gun.

He might know how to use it or have a backup!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia

No, its not.

An FFL may not sell a handgun to someone under 21 (yet, there are lawsuits seeking to overturn that nonsense) but it is perfectly legal in most states for someone 18+ to own / possess a pistol. They can purchase a handgun via a private party in states that do not prohibit it or require a UBC.

RedRobin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2022
    Katy
    Is seeing an ID required to sell a gun?
    I know I've researched that subject before but I don't remember if it's required. I don't THINK it's required but it's definitely wise if age of the purchaser is in question AND to make sure purchaser is resident of your state.

RedRobin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2022
    Katy
    No, its not.

An FFL may not sell a handgun to someone under 21 (yet, there are lawsuits seeking to overturn that nonsense) but it is perfectly legal in most states for someone 18+ to own / possess a pistol. They can purchase a handgun via a private party in states that do not prohibit it or require a UBC.
    Yes sir, you are quite right about that technicality. I was surprised to find that out a couple of years ago but that's the way it is. Funny, isn't it, that an 18-20 year old adult can't purchase a handgun from an FFL with all the I.D. and background checks required but CAN purchase one through a private sale with NO I.D. or background check required. Don't you know the gun grabbers hate the hell out of THAT loophole. Howbeit, I would cover my @$$ by asking for age verification from anyone that looked under 30 in my estimation.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Yes sir, you are quite right about that technicality. I was surprised to find that out a couple of years ago but that's the way it is. Funny, isn't it, that an 18-20 year old adult can't purchase a handgun from an FFL with all the I.D. and background checks required but CAN purchase one through a private sale with NO I.D. or background check required. Don't you know the gun grabbers hate the hell out of THAT loophole. Howbeit, I would cover my @$$ by asking for age verification from anyone that looked under 30 in my estimation.

The US government will put a full auto rifle, belt fed machine gun, pistol, grenade launcher, TOW missile launcher, AT4, and all the hand grenades a grunt can carry in the hands of a 17 year old "kid" without a 4473, but that same 17 year old is not responsible enough to buy a gun on their own. Go figure that one out. Its all about control, never about safety.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Nope.

If he was 17, I sure as hell would have asked for identification to protect myself. Illegal to sell to someone under 21 even if they produce a fake ID, but at least then you have some protection. I was surprised that a local Bar wouldn't let in a 60 year old if they didn't have a license, because they needed to be able to "prove" you were over 21.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    1708409714017.png

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    They can't legally buy handgun ammo though. My grandson bought a Henry Rifle in 44 magnum and can't buy ammo for it

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    Many years ago when my older brother turned 18 he used to buy 9mm and 22lr ammo by saying it was for a rifle.

The local Walmart never had a issue selling it like that. This was in the late 90s so maybe their policy has changed.

RedRobin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2022
    Katy
    I stand corrected by the disapproving glare. LOL I need a better term for "using one law to nullify the intentions or effects of another law". Though 18-20 yr olds can't legally purchase a handgun via an FFL dealer, they can legally purchase one WITHOUT using an FFL dealer even easier. When I was 18, (1981), I made my first handgun purchase from an on duty fireman in the station parking lot. It was a high complement at that age for the seller to trust me in that transaction.

StewGlock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2023
    Euless
    Eh, he didn't mention he was a cop when we were arranging the meeting, but I don't normally ask people's profession unless we're bullshitting after exchanging. I often do make it clear that I prefer to deal with LE, CHL holders, or card carrying members of the armed forces above randos without some sort of good-guy creds when posting in more public forums like Texas Gun Trader or Armslist (before it became garbage) - just to weed out the weirdos.

I get it from his perspective too - I'm an unknown to him, he wanted to make sure he wasn't receiving stolen property. I'd bought the XD from my mom's friend, who was the original purchaser so there was nothing to worry about on my ened.

Pretty much. That was before Oregon adopted the retarded UBC law and mandated FFL transfers for all. We met in IIRC a Taco Bell parking lot for that exchange.
    And sadly, Texas Gun Trader is very close to being garbage. It used to be a great platform with mostly decent people using it. Now, not so much

Top Bottom