• Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Is seeing an ID required to sell a gun?
    If a seller does not ask for ID, the seller is a moron. First of all, it verifies the buyer is of legal age to purchase a 18 or 21 depending upon a combination of federal and the laws of various states relative to private sales (for TX see: https://faq.sll.texas.gov/questions/42886).Under federal law, the buyer must be 21 or older for a dealer with an FFL to sell a handgun to someone; although, a recent court decision said the 21 rule is unconstitutional but that is certain to be appealed and then hopefully won by the side on the right. Secondly, checking ID also verifies the seller is able to legally transfer the firearm via a personal sale to someone who resides in the same state as the buyer, thus avoiding the need to go through an FFL from the buyer's state if the buyer is a resident of another state (source). Asking to see ID is part of due diligence on the part of the seller.
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    So, you're saying it's not required by law to ask in a private sale?
    I assume you know it's not, but for others, there is no legal requirement to ID.

"Intentionally or knowingly..." blah blah. So if the dude's like "I'm 15 and live in California..." then, well...

It's still smart to ask for ID.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    For all those chanting "You should ask for ID" - who says that ID presented is real? Fake ID's have been a thing since ID's have been a thing.

Basically you're making the pro-UBC argument for the antigun crowd.

Unless you finger print the person, or run them through a law enforcement type database that links their name, social security number, and other identifying information with a picture of them - how are you going ot know the person is who they say they are?

Even if their ID is legit - you don't know if they're a felon or otherwise prohibited, on probation or pre-trial release with conditions not to possess weapons, etc.

The law only requires you to not KNOWINGLY sell to prohibited persons, there is zero requirement in the law for you to act like a licensed gun shop and keep records and demand ID's etc - none of it matters because you have no way of verifiying any of the information presented. IF you really want to make sure you're not selling to a prohibited person, sell your gun thru an FFL, or only sell to uniformed cops with ID driving marked police cars. Anything else is taking a chance of selling to someone that technically shouldn't have a gun.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    If a seller does not ask for ID, the seller is a moron. First of all, it verifies the buyer is of legal age to purchase a 18 or 21 depending upon a combination of federal and the laws of various states relative to private sales (for TX see: https://faq.sll.texas.gov/questions/42886).Under federal law, the buyer must be 21 or older for a dealer with an FFL to sell a handgun to someone; although, a recent court decision said the 21 rule is unconstitutional but that is certain to be appealed and then hopefully won by the side on the right. Secondly, checking ID also verifies the seller is able to legally transfer the firearm via a personal sale to someone who resides in the same state as the buyer, thus avoiding the need to go through an FFL from the buyer's state if the buyer is a resident of another state (source). Asking to see ID is part of due diligence on the part of the seller.
    Didn’t you have a bill of sale requirement for a pocket knife you had for sale? An item that can be purchased legally by a 12 year old?

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Speculation.......drives drama............

The facts.....not so much...........

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Didn’t you have a bill of sale requirement for a pocket knife you had for sale? An item that can be purchased legally by a 12 year old?
    So what if I did but I think not. I would not sell a knife to a minor because I do not enter into business dealings with children and you took umbrage to that as I recall. It was my knife to sell as I wanted to sell it. Anyway, what is your point? You do not seem to have one that is relative to this thread or my previous post in this thread. As far as I am concerned, you can go ahead and sell a firearm to someone underage because you did not carry out due diligence and ask to see ID, it certainly would be no sweat off my brow if you get yourself arrested.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    So what if I did but I think not.
    You did.:clown:

Well, someone has taken umbrage to me pointing out something they did that was utterly ludicrous.

I believe what I said ( and I am paraphrasing) was “ congratulations, this is the most retarded thing I have ever read on this site”.

I also did not post that in your ad.

I did not suggest you wanted to sell your item to children, but that the item you wanted a dna sample from the buyer on was legal for a 12 year old to walk into a store and buy.

I was suggesting that your blind worship at the alter of the BOS might be addling your brain , but then I remembered where you are from and you spent 3 decades in fed.gov and are so accustomed to having your life micromanaged down to how many sheets of toilet paper you use at a sitting that you don’t know how to act when you are actually free and living in United States.

sidrywall

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2021
    Euless
    All of my transactions go down in the parking lot of the police station. They have cameras set up in the parking lot for people buying and selling stuff from online ads. I also show up a little early and let the officer at the front desk know what I am doing.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    All of my transactions go down in the parking lot of the police station. They have cameras set up in the parking lot for people buying and selling stuff from online ads. I also show up a little early and let the officer at the front desk know what I am doing.
    Welcome to the Forum!

Top Bottom