• ...and so much more!
  • madwildcat

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Frisco, TX
    Is seeing an ID required to sell a gun?
    It is by many of us, either to avoid the age thing, or possibly selling to a non-resident. I had one where the guy shows up for the meet where the ad specifically said "both show our IDs" and it became obvious pretty quick he was likely an illegal (no ID of any type even though he was driving to the meet). He got angry, but when someone starts throwing off red flags, it ain't worth the money for a future problem.

madwildcat

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Frisco, TX
    But not a legal requirement was my point.
    This is actually an interesting point. In theory, I thought the law said private sales could only be to Texas residents. Not sure how you would check that without ID, yet there seem to be some who would rather do deals without showing any ID. And someone could always fake ID...

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I bought a gun from a cop, never asked me anything.

I've traded guns / sold guns with uniformed cops taking a break, and never asked to see my ID or CHL or anything like that. Last time was with a Harris County deputy.

I did have one meet where the guy revealed he was a cop after I showed him the gun I was trading, and he whips his cell phone out and calls dispatch to have them run the serial number to ensure it wasn't stolen, that was weird and a one-off but whatever. I got his Glock 19 in trade for a subcompact XD9 - I came out way ahead on that one :roflfunny:

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Odds are guy asked for an ID kid produced a fake one or said he didn't have one and the guy didn't want to sell it. Kid tries to steal the gun guy shoots kid. Pure speculation
    Sounds plausible. Was thinking along those lines. Guy asked for the ID and things went all stealie. The thug doing the crime gets lead poisoning.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Sounds kinda douchey and borderline entrapment.

Eh, he didn't mention he was a cop when we were arranging the meeting, but I don't normally ask people's profession unless we're bullshitting after exchanging. I often do make it clear that I prefer to deal with LE, CHL holders, or card carrying members of the armed forces above randos without some sort of good-guy creds when posting in more public forums like Texas Gun Trader or Armslist (before it became garbage) - just to weed out the weirdos.

I get it from his perspective too - I'm an unknown to him, he wanted to make sure he wasn't receiving stolen property. I'd bought the XD from my mom's friend, who was the original purchaser so there was nothing to worry about on my ened.

Nothing to worry about if everything you're doing is legal.

Pretty much. That was before Oregon adopted the retarded UBC law and mandated FFL transfers for all. We met in IIRC a Taco Bell parking lot for that exchange.

Top Bottom