• ...and so much more!
  • Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Also - if the incumbent was so great at her job, and campaigned well - how did a literal kid barely old enough to run for office with zero experience relating to the job duties who did no campaigning beat her - if the people were happy with her? Maybe there's more to it than an uneducated voter base? Maybe she was shit at her job, maybe she is a shitty person who has alienated enough people, or maybe she's never run with opposition before (or recently, anyway) and the people are just sick of incumbents in general? In any case - elected positions are not appointments for life, the office holder is not entitled to re-election, and voting has consequences. Hays County is about to find that out come January.
    While not familiar with the Hays County Clerk, it would seem if the Clerk was doing a poor job there would have been a serious opponent.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Also - if the incumbent was so great at her job, and campaigned well - how did a literal kid barely old enough to run for office with zero experience relating to the job duties who did no campaigning beat her - if the people were happy with her? Maybe there's more to it than an uneducated voter base? Maybe she was shit at her job, maybe she is a shitty person who has alienated enough people, or maybe she's never run with opposition before (or recently, anyway) and the people are just sick of incumbents in general? In any case - elected positions are not appointments for life, the office holder is not entitled to re-election, and voting has consequences. Hays County is about to find that out come January.
    Hays County is fast, if not already, becoming Travis Co. Jr. The challenger won because he had a (D) next to his name. He admitted it in the interview. The winning percentage gap was consistent across the board, for races within the county, which would indicate incumbent competency was not an issue.

Me

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2021
    Austin
    Hays County is fast, if not already, becoming Travis Co. Jr. The challenger won because he had a (D) next to his name. He admitted it in the interview. The winning percentage gap was consistent across the board, for races within the county, which would indicate incumbent competency was not an issue.

This... well almost (see more about winning percentage margin below). It's the letter after his name. Beto won Hays by 11 points. Dan Patrick lost by 11. Ken Paxton by 13. Second tier state offices lost by between 6 and 11 points. There are a couple GOP enclaves where the Republican state rep won but Hays county overwhelmingly voted Dem this cycle so the winds were against the GOP candidate. That said, she outperformed the top of the ticket candidates very well, she only lost her race by 2 points. Without exit polling specific to that race we can't draw too many specific conclusions but I'd bet some combination of incumbency, name recognition, actual supporters (i.e. people like her), funding, and skilled campaigning that she had and her challenger did not. He managed to skate in on straight ticket voting despite all his disadvantages but didn't do nearly as well as almost all the other Dem candidates.

edit: minor change for clarity.

Me

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2021
    Austin
    The point of the referenced post was to dispel the notion that she lost due to incompetency. The fact that her specific race bucked the trend, but was still not enough, reinforces that position.

You're correct. I was 99.9% agreeing with you, I guess I wasn't as clear as I intended to be. My only nitpick is that there weren't totally consistent margins down the line. We're both saying the same thing though.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    You're correct. I was 99.9% agreeing party with you, I guess I wasn't as clear as I intended to be. My only nitpick is that there weren't totally consistent margins down the line. We're both saying the same thing though.
    To wit : straight line dumb masses pull it from people who actually knew her, and had a clue what they were voting for.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    You're correct. I was 99.9% agreeing with you, I guess I wasn't as clear as I intended to be. My only nitpick is that there weren't totally consistent margins down the line. We're both saying the same thing though.
    No problem here. I looked over the official totals but chose to generalize for the sake of brevity and assumed lack of interest from those not residing in Hays. It's good that we all keep each other honest.

Reactions: Me

Texan79423

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 7, 2021
    Flatlands
    Liberty.png

wiredgeorge

Older than I was yesterday!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Mico TX

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Cruz gives Mitch the credit for the fumble:

Interesting since Mitch put $130M+ into the PA, OH, and GA senate races alone since the Trump endorsed candidates couldn’t raise enough money on their own.

ETA: and close to a quarter billion into 7 Trump-endorsed Senate seats in total.

Me

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2021
    Austin
    Interesting since Mitch put $130M+ into the PA, OH, and GA senate races alone since the Trump endorsed candidates couldn’t raise enough money on their own.

ETA: and close to a quarter billion into 7 Trump-endorsed Senate seats in total.

Meanwhile Trump sends out emails asking for money on candidates behalf but has a 90/10 split of the donations favoring his own campaign. I don't have the numbers at my fingertips but I believe Trump raised ~$100M and spent $15M on his hand picked candidates this year.

Edit to add: in the case of Blake Masters the default split with Trump was 99% Trump and 1% Masters...

linked article tries to play it off as if it's a boon to Masters because he'll get contact info. He already has access to the GOP Voter Vault which has all those data and much much much more.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Meanwhile Trump sends out emails asking for money on candidates behalf but has a 90/10 split of the donations favoring his own campaign. I don't have the numbers at my fingertips but I believe Trump raised ~$100M and spent $15M on his hand picked candidates this year.

Edit to add: in the case of Blake Masters the default split with Trump was 99% Trump and 1% Masters...

linked article tries to play it off as if it's a boon to Masters because he'll get contact info. He already has access to the GOP Voter Vault which has all those data and much much much more.
    IIRC, Trump spent money to get his picks through the primaries then locked up the piggy bank.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Trumps negatives are actually that high. He needs to see reality.

Every Republican needs to publicly tell him hes done and to move on.

Shitty thing is that hes such a egomaniacal child he would run as an independent just to screw everyone over.
    And I'm pretty OK with voting for him to do just that. Possibly with the exception of DeSantis (assuming there is actually some beef) who on his list of names shouldn't be fucked over? Mitch? Mit? Murkowski?

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

Top Bottom