• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Virginian

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Round Rock
    Went to Granger Monday morning,was a little late,the good spots were taken,not a big crowd,I just dont hunt close to folks I dont know. Birds were flying pretty good,I missed a bunch,got a few,enough for a snack anyways.Granger looks like a great place for ducks.Also saw lots of deer sign.I am normally off Monday and Tuesday,gonna try again next week.
    Gun Zone Deals

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I was at a friends place in Granger last sunday. Dropped only 5 and recovered only 3, 1 lost to the woods, another managed to fly away just as I approached. He was flopping around when he first went down but managed to recover and take flight right when I walked up on him. Even had a blood spot just below his eye but I guess I had only winged it. Lots of time left in the season though, I may make it out again this weekend. They were flying pretty late this year, I think I need to stay put til' almost 8 and I may have a better day.

BigHoss

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2011
    East Texas (Brownsboro)
    I had a great time with friends, my church, and my little pardoner this past weekend while Dove hunting. I shot nothing...didn't see many, but had a great time.

Here's my boy...ready and willing...oh, I'm so proud of him!

small always ready o-matic.jpg

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Did not have the best of luck this weekend in the Houston area. Took two hours to limit on Saturday, only got 8 on Sunday and Monday sucked so bad I did not even fire a shot.

Good news is this is the first year in a long time we have not had the law called on us. We hunt on property in the county that is across a road from an elementary school, so the soccer mom's tend to panic on opening days during the week. We are usually at least a 1/4 mile from the school and always shoot away from it, but that does not matter we usually get to show our papers, permission documents, etc to some new guy on the force. I am sure the more senior LEOs are laughing their asses off at the rookie they send. Usually our group has at least a few officers from other agencies that flash their badges and calm the poor guy down.

BigHoss

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2011
    East Texas (Brownsboro)
    Partner. A pardoner is a medieval preacher.

Yea, I've actually debated this little debacle in my head for years now...no matter how silly it sounds. I pronounce it as I spelled it...I see it this way in Texas...often...but I hate to give the "wrong impression"...

Oh, the things we think about when we're supposed to be working!

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Yea, I've actually debated this little debacle in my head for years now...no matter how silly it sounds. I pronounce it as I spelled it...I see it this way in Texas...often...but I hate to give the "wrong impression"...

Oh, the things we think about when we're supposed to be working!

I'm tracking with ya. There used to be a baked potato with brisket, BBQ sauce, and cheddar cheese called the Podnah at Jason's Deli. That's the most phonetic spelling I've come across. Damn good meal, I might add.

bcannon87

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    East Texas
    I also had great time but didnt have any luck (minus the field ark) LOL! But I truly had more fun hanging out with my buddy BigHoss and watching his little Pardner. I also got to meet and get to know some folk from our church so even though I didnt get any birds opening day was very successful!

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    My second trip out this year went a little better. 7 out of 8 or 9 recovered(managed to get one from the tank). If I hadn't been distracted shootin my nines that afternoon, I could have got one or two more early in the day(round 5 or 5:30). Later, if I hadn't had a beer in my hand as often as I did, I think I would have downed at least three more(flew right over me). Also took out a copper head that was right in my walking path back from the target to my truck. My buddy spotted it when he went to grab some downed birds. Overall, I considered it a successful days hunt but I am looking forward to some cooler weather soon and that will make it all the better.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    My buddies & I went to Beeville for opening day of the south Zone. Great weather & lots of laughs. Just not enough birds moving around. Only got 14 birds on two days of hunitng.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    They are all over corpus even the migratory dove. Went last weekend. Lots of ring neck. They eat and no limit.

Our problem is, we hunt an open field (cow pasture) with a pond. Not bad in the evening, but no food to bring them in. owner told us, that a few weeks earlier, the field was holding lots of birds, but the rain came and scattered them. glad to hear about your good luck, though.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Our problem is, we hunt an open field (cow pasture) with a pond. Not bad in the evening, but no food to bring them in. owner told us, that a few weeks earlier, the field was holding lots of birds, but the rain came and scattered them. glad to hear about your good luck, though.

Agreed with the rain scattering the beds. Same luck down in Poteet.

Top Bottom