Lynx Defense

DOT to the rescue! (Multi rotor registration)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I didn't say it was an issue now, but I fear it will be. $10k now will be $1k soon enough. As all technology progresses, down comes price.

Police in Weatherford are investigating residential burglaries where each home burglarized has had a drone spotted within a block. Coincidence? Probably. Possible? Yes. There will ALWAYS be a minority that abuse, but having recourse against those few that do is all I care about. Flight logs will be kept by the honest only. I think drones will become a much larger part of society in the future, for good and bad.

Fair point on the cost.

I'd be interested to see a map of the burglary locations. Not that you implied belief, but just because o have a suspicion that the multi rotor is completely unrelated and just happened to be flying in the area.

I can't imagine it would be all that great for scoping out the interiors of houses before a robbery.

Sent from my HAL 9000
    Target Sports

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    People are just going to build their own from scratch. You can use an open source microcontroller like an arduino to build the flight computer. The body and propellers can be simple and made from balsa or plastic, or 3d printed if you want to get fancy. Everything else is just off the shelf parts.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    So I wonder if the registration requirement will be per pilot or per aircraft. Those who own several aircraft may be forced to hangar most of their models or pay through the nose to be allowed to fly them. Tax robbing bastards.....

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    So I wonder if the registration requirement will be per pilot or per aircraft. Those who own several aircraft may be forced to hangar most of their models or pay through the nose to be allowed to fly them. Tax robbing bastards.....

From what I've found, both.

Pilot must be licensed, all aircraft must be registered.

Sent from my HAL 9000

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    So do you suppose those who have large open fields on their personal property will be allowed to fly on their own private property without being taxed?

If licensed... will that be open carry or will the aircraft need to be concealed? We wouldn't want to frighten the public with scary drones, would we?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    So do you suppose those who have large open fields on their personal property will be allowed to fly on their own private property without being taxed?

If licensed... will that be open carry or will the aircraft need to be concealed? We wouldn't want to frighten the public with scary drones, would we?

No, it would not be legal based on the FAAs February release to fly an unregistered multi rotor anywhere. Everyone must pay the tax.

There is talk of certain very small toy grade MRs being exempt.

Sent from my HAL 9000

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Up to 500 ft, more or less. Drones are limited to 400 ft, aren't they?

Not really.

There are "guidelines". Generally LoS is required. It's all pretty vague but there really aren't any laws when it comes to non commercial use. Outside LoS I believe the FAA considered them aircraft.

Sent from my HAL 9000

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    People are just going to build their own from scratch. You can use an open source microcontroller like an arduino to build the flight computer. The body and propellers can be simple and made from balsa or plastic, or 3d printed if you want to get fancy. Everything else is just off the shelf parts.

The RC shop will keep those parts behind the counter and you will need to show ID and sign a log for them, just like cold medicine. :roflfunny:

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Here is a list of what the FAA was wanting in Feb 2015 but wasn't able to implement, I suspect these are the things their task force is supposed to be finding ways to shove down our throats. And it doesn't look good. As with everything, Registration is the first step to enacting much of what they want.

https://3drobotics.com/proposed-faa-drone-laws/

I don't know who 3dr is but they can FOAD!

From the link:
    No careless or reckless operations.
    Is it careless or reckless if dog fights are intentional?

Be vetted by the Transportation Security Administration.
    LMAO!

Report an accident to the FAA within 10 days of any operation that results in injury or property damage.
    Every time I crash my ~$300 toy, I gotta call?

This is B U L L S H I T !

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    An email sent today by the Academy of Model Aeronautics

Dear Members,

As you might be aware, in a press conference on Monday October 19, 2015, the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) announced its intent to require registration for certain small unmanned aircraft systems (sUAS).

Led by Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx and FAA Administrator Michael Huerta, a concept was laid out calling for the creation of a task force to develop a plan to implement the registration process.

AMA was represented at the press conference by Government and Regulatory Affairs Representative Rich Hanson who offered comments on behalf of our organization. Representatives from the Association for Unmanned Vehicles Systems International (AUVSI) and the Air Line Pilots Association also provided input. A video of the press conference can be found here.

AMA has also been invited to participate in the task force which has been charged with completing its work by mid-November 2015.

The DOT is looking at the full spectrum of sUAS that would be subject to registration, and AMA agrees that registration may be appropriate at some level; however, before the process can be established, AMA believes that a threshold must be identified that will determine which platforms, what aircraft with what capabilities, will require registration and which will not.

AMA believes that traditional model aircraft, as well as the “toy-type” drones with minimal capability would fall below the threshold and not be subject to the registration process.

In a prepared statement released yesterday, (shown below) AMA was clear in its position that any required registration process “should not become a prohibitive burden for recreational users who fly for fun and educational purposes and who have operated harmoniously within our communities for decades.”

AMA does not and will not support any proposal that calls for the registration of any sUAS that fall below an established threshold and is resolute in its position that all forms of traditional model aircraft must remain exempt from the registration process.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/am...ama-joins-dot-task-force-on-uas-registration/

Media Release: AMA JOINS DOT TASK FORCE ON UAS REGISTRATION

MUNCIE, Ind.Dave Mathewson, executive director of the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA), today released the following statement that the organization is joining the U.S. Department of Transportation’s task force to develop a streamlined registration process for unmanned aircraft systems (UAS):

“AMA looks forward to working with government and private sector stakeholders on a process for UAS registration. The term UAS has been applied to a broad range of platforms from toys with limited capabilities to large, sophisticated systems that weigh hundreds of pounds. Registration of UAS that meet an appropriate threshold of weight, capability and other safety-related characteristics makes sense, but it should not become a prohibitive burden for recreational users who fly for fun and educational purposes and who have operated harmoniously within our communities for decades.

“The Academy has long used a similar system with its more than 180,000 members. AMA’s safety program instructs all members to place his or her AMA number or name and address on or within their model aircraft, ensuring operator accountability and promoting safety within the model aviation community. AMA’s nearly eighty years of experience demonstrates that a voluntary, community-based approach is the best and most effective way to manage recreational flyers.

“At the same time, education is essential for promoting safety to the legions of new flyers taking to the skies. That’s why AMA has been working closely with the FAA and the Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International (AUVSI) on the Know Before You Fly campaign. Education programs like these will help ensure the safety of our airspace for all.”

# # #
    (video in link)

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I don't know who 3dr is but they can FOAD!

From the link:
    No careless or reckless operations.
    Is it careless or reckless if dog fights are intentional?

Be vetted by the Transportation Security Administration.
    LMAO!

Report an accident to the FAA within 10 days of any operation that results in injury or property damage.
    Every time I crash my ~$300 toy, I gotta call?

This is B U L L S H I T !

Those were not recommendations being made by 3DRobotics, that was what the FAA said in a February press release.

Sent from my HAL 9000

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I understand, but 3DR wrote: And while these new rules are a great start, the FAA will soon be proposing even more reasonable regulations governing “MicroUAS” or drones under 2 kg; many of the most popular consumer drones (such as our IRIS+) fit this category, and they might require registration but not a full certification like other copters up to 55lbs.

And I have a real problem with that.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    LOL

Is a Drone Registration Mandate Illegal?

Marc Scribner • October 19, 2015

Today, the Department of Transportation announced the creation of a task force to develop recommendations for a national drone registration mandate. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx stated that he wants the task force to develop their recommendations by mid-November, with the mandate coming into force sometime in mid-December. Secretary Foxx also said that the mandate will apply to all unmanned aircraft systems. Drone lawyer Jonathan Rupprecht has a post on the practical and legal issues of creating and enforcing a registration regime. I’d like to highlight two problems raised by Rupprecht.

If Foxx is accurate, the Federal Aviation Administration will likely be in violation of two different federal laws: the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 and the Administrative Procedure Act.

First, in the 2012 FAA reauthorization, Congress included a provision (Section 336) that reads, in part:
    Notwithstanding any other provision of law relating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into Federal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including this subtitle, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft

Congress clearly intended to protect unmanned aircraft system hobbyists whose model aircraft meet the criteria contained in Section 336, as even the FAA appears to note in its interpretation of Section 336. FAA Administrator Michael Huerta claimed the FAA has existing safety authority to mandate drone registration, but it remains to be seen how the agency can evade Congress’s clear intentions.

Second, Secretary Foxx stated that the FAA plans to complete the rollout of its mandate by mid-December. Under the Administrative Procedure Act, agencies are generally required to solicit comments from the public and then consider relevant comments in their rulemakings. A rulemaking can take years and those subject to the rule are usually given 60 days to comply after the final rule is published in the Federal Register.

Clearly, if the Department of Transportation is claiming it will not allow public comments and will publish a binding regulation requiring UAS registration by mid-December, it is not planning to follow typical rulemaking procedures. The APA contains some exemptions to the normal notice-and-comment process. As Rupprecht points out, the FAA could attempt to invoke the “good cause” exemption (5 U.S.C. § 553(b)(3)(B)) to APA rulemaking requirements to carry out a UAS registration mandate, but would need to show that the typical procedural requirements are “impracticable, unnecessary, or contrary to the public interest.” The FAA would need to show that hobbyists’ UAS present an imminent threat to public safety and that following the APA requirements would endanger public safety. But, as Rupprecht shows, the FAA will also need to explain why it needs to move with such haste, including an explanation for why it didn’t begin this process earlier.

I highly recommend Rupprecht’s full post, where he also questions the FAA’s authority to require point-of-sale registration. The Obama administration has been at the cutting edge of twisting administrative law to serve its ends that run contrary to the intent of Congress, but its forced drone registration scheme will likely take some extra-creative lawyering to save it from a court challenge.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I figured the true reasoning behind the task force was to find a way to circumvent road blocks to their plans and not the best way to implement it.

Sent from my HAL 9000

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    This government crap is outta hand. All that needed to be done was create a redneck flow chart:

Saw a drone over my house:

Did you practice skeet with it?

Yes.

Did you hit it?

Yes.

Great shot!

No?

Go back and try again.

People wouldn't have to fear drones and people would keep their drones where they don't belong.

Simple enough.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Fair point on the cost.

I'd be interested to see a map of the burglary locations. Not that you implied belief, but just because o have a suspicion that the multi rotor is completely unrelated and just happened to be flying in the area.

I can't imagine it would be all that great for scoping out the interiors of houses before a robbery.

Sent from my HAL 9000
    Agreed. AFAIK officers were just knocking on every household asking about the drone and more than a few collaborated the story. They suspect it was checking for cars to see who's home. But I doubt it's true.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Except redneck just broke the law.

It's simply not legal to shoot a drone because it flew over your house.

Sent from my HAL 9000

Top Bottom