Patriot Mobile

DOT to the rescue! (Multi rotor registration)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Well, sounds like they're going for it.

https://www.transportation.gov/brie...foxx-announces-unmanned-aircraft-registration

Honestly, this sounds like it will be an enormous cluster ****. They are giving this "task force" 30 days to come up with a plan to have all these multi rotors registered, decide which one might be ok to not register (I bet that won't be many), as well as "make additional safety recommendations as it seems appropriate". What could go wrong?

Sounds like it's really a task force designed to find a way to implement all the crap the FAA wanted in February but couldn't figure out how to make the power grab. A list of goodies which included marking the same as aircraft, biannual licensing, and inspections, and reporting of any crashes.

I'm sure they won't go for all that from the start though, just need to get them registered, just for safety. Nothing to be worried about. Until they come back and implement the rest now that they have a list to make sure everyone is compliant.

Sent from my HAL 9000
    Military Camp

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Caveat? Can a "registered" unit be used commercially without a licensed "pilot". Unlike current, uh (well, it aint "law") regulations?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Nope, commercial use will still be separate, but they are looking for ways to "streamline" registration for commercial "operators".

I find the whole concept of hobby vs commercial pretty stupid though. Me taking pictures of something cool for free vs selling the pictures of something cool. It's the exact same flight, same equipment, same everything. The reason commercial came about was because it gave the FAA a way to get their foot in the door (and get some money).

They couldn't figure out how to finagle their way in to the hobby side so they passed it to DOT.

Sent from my HAL 9000

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I really could use a quad on my job. But the regulations are stupid as ****.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I agree. If you got one and flew it after hours over the job site and took some pics for the memories, legal. If you use them to help with work your commercial and illegal. It makes no sense.

I'll probably crash mine shortly before any regulations are pushed through so it won't matter to me. I'm sure it will happen to thousands of them.

Their is so much media hype that no one in gov will fight it. Really don't see them not getting what they want. Everyone who has seen mine is action is both surprised at what it can do, and by what it can't do. I've not had one person say "holy shit, they need to regulate those things" after seeing the reality of it without any fear mongering. Usually they say "damn, that's louder than I expected".

There are a few RC orgs who will have input in this, but I have a feeling it's just for show.

I'm a little peeved about it.

Sent from my HAL 9000

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    The right of the people to keep and bear drones shall not be infringed!!!

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I'm going to start selling 80% complete drones from my basement
    No paperwork

And maybe I'll 3D print an ass so the FAA can kiss it

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I'm curious if they will try to require registration of flight control boards. Pretty much every other piece is used on RC planes as well but the control boards are different for multi rotors.

I'm also curious how the pilot of an aircraft would see a registration number on a quad in one of these so called "near miss" situations as he cruises by at 300mph.

Sent from my HAL 9000

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I'd bet money that within 1 year of a registration requirement (assuming they figure out how to accomplish it) there will be an insurance requirement as well. Should boost AMA membership I guess.......course, it's still pointless because pretty much any insurance company will refuse to pay claiming negligence on the part of the operator which will be a caveat in every available plan.

Sent from my HAL 9000

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Does this cover ultralight aircraft?

Assuming you mean those guys that fly around in a go cart hanging from a parachute. They are unrelated. I don't know what the requirements are but maybe STpilot can chime in.

They are only going after multi rotors right now though. Wonder how they will word it to differentiate between those and RC planes. Will my planes become drones if I Velcro my 808 camera on the wing?

Sent from my HAL 9000

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Assuming you mean those guys that fly around in a go cart hanging from a parachute. They are unrelated. I don't know what the requirements are but maybe STpilot can chime in.

They are only going after multi rotors right now though. Wonder how they will word it to differentiate between those and RC planes. Will my planes become drones if I Velcro my 808 camera on the wing?

Sent from my HAL 9000

I assume you understand how stupid this seems to me.
    A quad that cant lift a glock off the ground is suddenly a hazard to the public, but a winged aircraft capable of manned flight with payload is "ok"? Just stupid. Real fucking stupid.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It's a lot of stupid to take in all at once.

I did hear some BS somewhere about how a quad could possibly carry a pipe bomb or some shit.

But I'm sure registration would keep that from happening :facepalm:

I believe it was my BiL who mentioned it, but he's also a state trooper who was telling me how he forgot he had his CC weapon when he went in a liquor store and it slipped down his pant leg and "was printing really bad" and how it would have looked so bad if he had gotten in trouble for it :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Sent from my HAL 9000

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    Well shit....might have to move the phantom up on the list so I can avoid all this BS!

Simply amazing that with all the crap going on in todays effed up world that drones are even a topic of discussion within the government. The insanity knows no bounds!

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Shitty news. I hate the government. While I worry about people abusing the photo capabilities, the government has no business here. We need good old fashioned wild west justice back.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Well, I guess we'll never get to find out how drones could make our lives better. This will severely stifle innovation. Fear, control freaks, and the status quo has won again.

I'm going to start selling 80% complete drones from my basement
    No paperwork

And maybe I'll 3D print an ass so the FAA can kiss it
    The control software is freely available. I know a few people who have home built their own including using 3d printed parts. Guess these unregistered drones will be called "ghost drones" :laughing:

I'm curious how are they going to enforce any regulations.
    Same way they enforce everything else. The vast majority of people breaking a law go unnoticed, but they catch one or two and make an example out of them.

Last edited:

southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    Ultralights are legally considered vehicles and not aircraft by the FAA. They only get involved if it has more than one seat.

Registering multirotors is just the beginning. Wait till lawyers get them in court. General aviation was killed by the courts and only resurrected with legislation signed by Clinton in the 90's. Lawsuits will be filed in which manufacturers are held liable in accidents. The price of the drone and it's parts will only increase as a result. We live in a lawsuit lottery enviorment. It's when not if.

W

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    All they had to do was put some sort of restricted airspace over private property for so many feet. That would give some grounds for addressing peeping toms and nosy neighbor's (ETA: and police)

As long as I have the right to shoot down drones hovering over my backyard w a camera then I don't really care about the rest. The ownership of that airspace should be defined the same as mineral rights so it's unambiguous.

Top Bottom