Cowards at Bell County SO shot my dog in the head.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    To a large degree, yes, they do.
    But more in tone, body language and very subtle facial expression.
    People don't realize just how much dogs pick up on very subtle human expressiin and voice tones. Especially voice tones. They know the difference between normal voice, commanding, angry, frustrated and pleading. Or a loving tone.
    Frustrated and pleading means they are in charge.
    With animals, dogs especially, tone and body language is 90% of our communication with them.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

You mean that sassy voice with the slight German accent isn't how my dog is supposed to talk to me?

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Unfortunately my 13 year old Rottie mix girl has become deaf. She has a tremendous vocabulary, can count, knows algebra, and I talk to her like people. She responds to several hand signals, and we are working on more.

Joe

My pitty can do calculus. Working with her on differential equations.

ETA - first liar ain’t got a chance around here.

Last edited:

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Renfield tells me basic thing like he wants out, he's hungry or wants clean water. He gets the most verbal when his girl friend Bella is running around.

Duke knows Stay, and a specific bark to let us know he needs out or in.
    He brings us toys when he wants to play, for an 8mo pup it's going pretty well. :)
    He's mostly blind on the shot side, very cautious moving at night.
    I turn on deck lights so he can see to get down the steps when it's dark.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Duke knows Stay, and a specific bark to let us know he needs out or in.
    He brings us toys when he wants to play, for an 8mo pup it's going pretty well. :)
    He's mostly blind on the shot side, very cautious moving at night.
    I turn on deck lights so he can see to get down the steps when it's dark.

Sounds similar to Secret Service dealings with the Potato In Chief.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Not the place to get into a deep discussion on the topic but I've read more than one article by science ethicists pondering what will happen when dogs are able to talk. They possess sufficient intelligence to speak as well as a small child, at least. There are scientists working on genetic manipulations to enable their vocal chords and all the related architecture to be sufficiently controllable as to enable speech.

If, in barely sufficient but clear words, your dog told you "That hurts. Please stop hurting me." when you, say, put on a shock collar for training, how will you respond?

The postulated scenarios could be much tamer than that but, still, the whole prospect gives me the willies more and more the more I think about it.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Not the place to get into a deep discussion on the topic but I've read more than one article by science ethicists pondering what will happen when dogs are able to talk. They possess sufficient intelligence to speak as well as a small child, at least. There are scientists working on genetic manipulations to enable their vocal chords and all the related architecture to be sufficiently controllable as to enable speech.

If, in barely sufficient but clear words, your dog told you "That hurts. Please stop hurting me." when you, say, put on a shock collar for training, how will you respond?

The postulated scenarios could be much tamer than that but, still, the whole prospect gives me the willies more and more the more I think about it.

Once dogs are able to communicate with us that clearly, we'll be able to clearly communicate back - so the answer to your scenario is to explain "Well, I need you to stay inside the grassy area here and not go chasing after cars - that's why I was putting the collar on you. Can you do that?"

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Once dogs are able to communicate with us that clearly, we'll be able to clearly communicate back - so the answer to your scenario is to explain "Well, I need you to stay inside the grassy area here and not go chasing after cars - that's why I was putting the collar on you. Can you do that?"
    This.

And, once they are able to communicate verbally with humans - they'll become our teachers. IMO of course. :)

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    You mean that sassy voice with the slight German accent isn't how my dog is supposed to talk to me?
    1693243765394.png

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    If y'all's dogs were as smart as you say they are, they would get you to do the math instead of them.
    And if they learn to talk??? HELL NO!!!
    She already has " those looks" that she gives me. Just like my WIFE does. Can you imagine what it will be like having to listen to the dog as well as well as "those looks" they both give us? It would be worse than having two wives. No thanks, I like my dog just the way she is. At least when the dog wants to bark at something, I can put her outside. Try that with the wife.

jamesmrj

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Cypress, TX
    Can you imagine what it will be like having to listen to the dog as well as well as "those looks" they both give us? It would be worse than having two wives. No thanks, I like my dog just the way she is. At least when the dog wants to bark at something, I can put her outside. Try that with the wife.

I concur. Also, do you really want one more individual that can observe and report to the authorities (wife or LE) on your comings, goings, and actions? I surely don't need that.

red442joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2022
    Michigan
    My pitty can do calculus. Working with her on differential equations.

ETA - first liar ain’t got a chance around here.
    Me: "Beya! (Holding up one finger) Give me one."
    Beya: "Bark"
    Me: "Beya! (Holding up two fingers) Give me two."
    Beya: "Bark, Bark"
    Me: "Beya! (Holding up three fingers) What is the square root of nine?"
    Beya; "Bark, Bark, Bark"
    :)

Joe

Top Bottom